Any working tank?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
ExtinctDoomStudio
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Any working tank?

Post by ExtinctDoomStudio »

Hello,

I was searching for some tanks for Doom but I can't find anything clean and simple, the Realm667 tank has hundreds of sprites, and I want to change them to my own ones, the Iron Snail V2.0 tank is great, but it's in ZScript and a little too confusing for me. I will be really grateful if anyone has one for Vanilla Doom. :)

Thanks!
Enjay

Re: Any working tank?

Post by Enjay »

ExtinctDoomStudio wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:50 pm I will be really grateful if anyone has one for Vanilla Doom. :)
I suspect that's not what you mean. If it was truly for vanilla Doom, it would only be something like a re-skin of the cyberdemon to replace its sprites and sounds with tank ones (and thereby lose the cyberdemon in favour of the tank).

The next step up would be to do a bit of reworking of the actor being replaced using dehacked.

Perhaps you mean a version done in DECORATE?
ExtinctDoomStudio

Enjay wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:31 am
ExtinctDoomStudio wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:50 pm I will be really grateful if anyone has one for Vanilla Doom. :)
I suspect that's not what you mean. If it was truly for vanilla Doom, it would only be something like a re-skin of the cyberdemon to replace its sprites and sounds with tank ones (and thereby lose the cyberdemon in favour of the tank).

The next step up would be to do a bit of reworking of the actor being replaced using dehacked.

Perhaps you mean a version done in DECORATE?
I mean, just a tank, might even be ripped from another mod, writing about "vanilla" I meant more of a standalone custom enemy. I'm open for ZScript too and I use Slade instead of DeHacked.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

When you don't understand a meaning of some terms, dont use such terms. You're just confusing others.

Basically, 'vanilla' means it you want it to work in/with doom.exe. Which is possible only as a sprite replacement, as enjay mentioned.

But you want a new actor. That is plainly impossible in vanilla.
ExtinctDoomStudio

ramon.dexter wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 am When you don't understand a meaning of some terms, dont use such terms. You're just confusing others.

Basically, 'vanilla' means it you want it to work in/with doom.exe. Which is possible only as a sprite replacement, as enjay mentioned.

But you want a new actor. That is plainly impossible in vanilla.
Amazing, I used a wrong word, then stop commenting like this when I already undestand what I did wrong. Such comments are extremely useless, you won't even help.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

So, what are you actually looking for?

A simple enemy that wanders around (chasing the player like normal), fires rockets and perhaps makes a "tank moving" sound as it moves? Or do you want something more complicated than that?
ExtinctDoomStudio

Enjay wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:36 am So, what are you actually looking for?

A simple enemy that wanders around (chasing the player like normal), fires rockets and perhaps makes a "tank moving" sound as it moves? Or do you want something more complicated than that?
Yes, like this, but with some advancements such as the cannon moving on it's own without the tank rotating - for an example.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Having the cannon move on its own without the tank rotating is certainly possible - but it immediately ramps up the complexity of the actor.

You'd probably be looking at two actors to make that happen - one for the tank, one for the cannon. Then you'd need code to keep the two actors together and looking as if they were one.

Like is said, it is possible (and there have been several multi-part enemies done by various people) but it is quite a bit more complex that your original post indicates that you want.
ExtinctDoomStudio

Bunping it, maybe someone has something like this.
inkoalawetrust
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by inkoalawetrust »

Hello, I'm the guy that wrote the Realm667 tank you mentioned in the original post (The sprites weren't made by me, they were made by Gorman Freebmane).

Like Enjay asked, what are you actually looking for, tank assets or code ? Based on what you said so far it sounds like code is what you are interested in. In which case, there really isn't much out there*, there are implementations like Brutal Doom's tanks or BOA's and the likes, but those definitely fall under being too complicated, even the code for the old tank on R667 is fairly complex, despite how basic** it is, so like Enjay said, any implementation of an actor with a turret that is mostly independent of the actor carrying it will basically be complex and difficult to do by default.

* Nor are there that many tank sprites out there, most of them are edits of the Riot Tank from Duke Nukem 3D, including the ones from Iron Snail. The tanks that Freebmane made for my mod are basically the only original ones I have ever even found so far (For now :wink:)
** And janky, terse, and broken for that matter, I'll be fixing that at some point.
ExtinctDoomStudio

inkoalawetrust wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:44 am Hello, I'm the guy that wrote the Realm667 tank you mentioned in the original post (The sprites weren't made by me, they were made by Gorman Freebmane).

Like Enjay asked, what are you actually looking for, tank assets or code ? Based on what you said so far it sounds like code is what you are interested in. In which case, there really isn't much out there*, there are implementations like Brutal Doom's tanks or BOA's and the likes, but those definitely fall under being too complicated, even the code for the old tank on R667 is fairly complex, despite how basic** it is, so like Enjay said, any implementation of an actor with a turret that is mostly independent of the actor carrying it will basically be complex and difficult to do by default.

* Nor are there that many tank sprites out there, most of them are edits of the Riot Tank from Duke Nukem 3D, including the ones from Iron Snail. The tanks that Freebmane made for my mod are basically the only original ones I have ever even found so far (For now :wink:)
** And janky, terse, and broken for that matter, I'll be fixing that at some point.
You know what, I just want a tank with a cannon rotating on it's own. A standalone one. Can even be ripped from some other mod. I just don't want it to be 3009 sprites.
Xim

Post by Xim »

You're probably going to have to go with the realm one, that's about the easiest one I could find. The amount of sprites isn't a big deal, it's because it uses the extra rotations, if you deleted them all and put in a simple 8 rotation sprite it'd probably still work well enough that it'd be easy to fix after that. But I don't think there is an easier to work with tank than that so far. Unless you want to wait for someone to make an easier one than that.
ExtinctDoomStudio

Xim wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:02 pm You're probably going to have to go with the realm one, that's about the easiest one I could find. The amount of sprites isn't a big deal, it's because it uses the extra rotations, if you deleted them all and put in a simple 8 rotation sprite it'd probably still work well enough that it'd be easy to fix after that. But I don't think there is an easier to work with tank than that so far. Unless you want to wait for someone to make an easier one than that.
I have already worked with the realm667 one, the fact is the amount of Cannon sprites and the cannon fire ones were around 200 a folder which demotivated me in a second lol. And then I would have to import those in Slade 3 and change the offsets of 500 sprites... not too cool. Besides making the cannon only 8 rotations is not possible with my shi**y code editing skills. It's a ton of code to change.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

I'm not sure if it is ok to say it here, but Sgt. Mark once told me that his tanks are all free to use. Also, recently I've seem a tweet from him saying that people don't need to ask permission to use any of his assets anymore.
DELTAtheDboi005

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

Ravick wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:19 am I'm not sure if it is ok to say it here, but Sgt. Mark once told me that his tanks are all free to use. Also, recently I've seem a tweet from him saying that people don't need to ask permission to use any of his assets anymore.
I once asked him for the code on the doomworld forums, and for what felt like a year later, he was like "yeah sure buddy". but I never wound up using it...

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”