Wolfenstein 3D TC 3.0 w/ GZDoom question

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
blazeddd

Wolfenstein 3D TC 3.0 w/ GZDoom question

Post by blazeddd »

Trying to get Wolfenstein 3d tc working with gzdoom because I really like the automap a lot better than ECWolf version but trying to figure out how to stretch the screen while keeping the original hud.

I can get it working with DOOM wads but not Wolf3D TC.

Here are some screenshots to better explain:
https://i.imgur.com/WeeC0Ex.png
vs
https://i.imgur.com/K9DQQYY.png
AFADoomer

Re: Wolfenstein 3D TC 3.0 w/ GZDoom question

Post by AFADoomer »

If you are pulling the version of the TC from GitHub, then you cannot.

I'll probably add a menu/cvar toggle to let you control the border aspect ratio eventually, but... no idea when that will happen.
blazeddd

Post by blazeddd »

AFADoomer wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:06 pm If you are pulling the version of the TC from GitHub, then you cannot.

I'll probably add a menu/cvar toggle to let you control the border aspect ratio eventually, but... no idea when that will happen.
Ah dang, ok thanks for letting me know.

Is there be a different version of TC that would allow it?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Pull the latest from the GitHub site.

I just added a new cvar ('g_borderstyle') and menu entry that lets you toggle between the traditional 4:3 border style, a version that scales to the width of the window like the standard GZDoom border, and a minimal version like you could already see on the automap screen.
blazeddd

Post by blazeddd »

AFADoomer wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:48 am Pull the latest from the GitHub site.

I just added a new cvar ('g_borderstyle') and menu entry that lets you toggle between the traditional 4:3 border style, a version that scales to the width of the window like the standard GZDoom border, and a minimal version like you could already see on the automap screen.
Awesome!! Thank you so much!

Just 2 small things -

Control and Change View options seem to be broken for me, here are some pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/rE8q81o.png
https://i.imgur.com/7rJB75x.png

and before, I couldn't use the older github version with GZDoom4.8.2 as I would get this error:

Code: Select all

Script error, "Wolf3D-TC-3.0-master.pk3:scripts/classicstats.txt" line 430:
Can't call play function GetLivesPlay from ui context
Script error, "Wolf3D-TC-3.0-master.pk3:scripts/classicstats.txt" line 459:
Can't call play function GiveInventory from ui context
Script error, "Wolf3D-TC-3.0-master.pk3:scripts/classicstats.txt" line 461:
Can't call play function CheckLifeAmount from ui context
Script error, "Wolf3D-TC-3.0-master.pk3:scripts/classicstats.txt" line 464:
Can't call play function GetLivesPlay from ui context
so I switched to GZDoom4.7.1 but now with the new github version and 4.7.1, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Script error, "Wolf3D-TC-3.0-master.pk3:scripts/classicstats.zs" line 434:
Can't call ui function GetLives from play context (not readable)
So I used the new github version with 4.8.2 and everything is fine except for the Control/Change View menu options.

Either way, it's all good for me because I already had customized what I needed to with the older version and just used g_borderstyle set to 2 through console but just wanted to post what errors/issues were popping up in case it helps.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this... such a small change makes such a huge difference for me! Thank you!!!
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

No worries... I hope you enjoy it! I have a bunch of things that I've been meaning to finish up on this for along time now.

The menu revamp is a work in progress that I have never finished (and that needs to be re-thought, I think)... Would you mind sharing your screen resolution and scaling settings?
blazeddd

Post by blazeddd »

AFADoomer wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:40 pm No worries... I hope you enjoy it! I have a bunch of things that I've been meaning to finish up on this for along time now.

The menu revamp is a work in progress that I have never finished (and that needs to be re-thought, I think)... Would you mind sharing your screen resolution and scaling settings?
Yeah man, it's been so fun revisiting my childhood with really great improvements too!
What other things are you planning on finishing up btw?

On my PC, which has the menu issue, it’s at 4K / 3840x2160

I also copied it over to my Steam Deck, so same exact config but resolution is limited to 1280x800 and the menu works perfect so it does seem to be related to resolution I think.

As scaling, I can't confirm on my PC but on my Deck it's on 1.0 which was just a straight copy from my PC so should be the same. I don't think I ever changed that setting. Would there be a cvar I could check in console maybe?
Last edited by blazeddd on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Thanks! Looks like I need to re-check my menu text position and scaling calculations.

Most everything that still needs to be added is for Spear of Destiny. I need to add a clean way to pick/access SoD and the level packs, figure out how to implement SoD-style menus without recreating every menu entry, and re-add the SoD finale screens. Plus handling for separate high score screens/cvars.

There's also a bug with lives not being reset/set properly when you start a new game.
blazeddd

Post by blazeddd »

Oh interesting, sounds good! This is definitely the best way of playing Wolfenstein 3D, thank you for all your hard work!

Return to “Technical Issues”