[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AvzinElkein

Re: [0.9.0] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by AvzinElkein »

Speaking of MELEEWEAPON, the mod considers vanilla Hexen's mace (Cleric starting weapon) as a non-melee weapon.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Apparently when using certain mods, the Gun Bonsai hud can be blocked. I know WarTrophies had an option to enable/disable its hud being drawn over the main hud, so is there a way the same can be done here?

DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11

Post by DarkkOne »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:39 pm Apparently when using certain mods, the Gun Bonsai hud can be blocked. I know WarTrophies had an option to enable/disable its hud being drawn over the main hud, so is there a way the same can be done here?

In the settings you can simply reposition the Gun Bonsai UI.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

AvzinElkein wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am Speaking of MELEEWEAPON, the mod considers vanilla Hexen's mace (Cleric starting weapon) as a non-melee weapon.
Of course it does! Because why would anything Hexen does make sense? Of course the melee weapons aren't properly flagged! I'll see you in hell, Ravensoft!

Ahem. This will be fixed in the next release; I'll add an override to BONSAIRC about it, and check the other melee weapons while I'm at it.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11

Post by DarkkOne »

A new request: Some way to banish the revivified enemies. On Map07 and my weapon brought back an Arachnotron, and I had to "kill monsters" to kill it and make the exit raise. Despite the readme saying they take full damage from my attacks, everything only does 1 damage per hit. Genuinely thought that 1/hit was likely intentional until I went to double-check in the readme to see if there was a time limit or some mentioned way to get rid of them. Maybe a simple time limit like 15 seconds? Or they come back, but lose 5% of their life per second naturally, or some other natural method of expiration?

(Hey, look, a bug/issue report from me NOT related to Hexen!)
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

DarkkOne wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:17 pm A new request: Some way to banish the revivified enemies. On Map07 and my weapon brought back an Arachnotron, and I had to "kill monsters" to kill it and make the exit raise. Despite the readme saying they take full damage from my attacks, everything only does 1 damage per hit. Genuinely thought that 1/hit was likely intentional until I went to double-check in the readme to see if there was a time limit or some mentioned way to get rid of them. Maybe a simple time limit like 15 seconds? Or they come back, but lose 5% of their life per second naturally, or some other natural method of expiration?

(Hey, look, a bug/issue report from me NOT related to Hexen!)
I think I rather be able to banish the ones you want maybe by looking with a key bind to despawn them to do so rather than be temporary because heck I always want ghosts that do constantly still live post-reviving and bring a helpful use if I manage to get at least a few in the first place.
Oh. And also, something where it can bypass the map script check, so they do not cause the issue so that banishing them is not as much of an issue for those kinds of maps.
Last edited by Starman the Blaziken on Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

ToxicFrog wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 pm
AvzinElkein wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am Speaking of MELEEWEAPON, the mod considers vanilla Hexen's mace (Cleric starting weapon) as a non-melee weapon.
Of course it does! Because why would anything Hexen does make sense? Of course the melee weapons aren't properly flagged! I'll see you in hell, Ravensoft!

Ahem. This will be fixed in the next release; I'll add an override to BONSAIRC about it, and check the other melee weapons while I'm at it.
The Slot 2 weapons are also melee-related. The Axe is a pure melee weapon while the other two have "smart" melee/ranged options, defaulting to ranged but doing a melee attack instead if close enough.
mamaluigisbagel

DarkkOne wrote:In the settings you can simply reposition the Gun Bonsai UI.
I am aware. I just find it annoying when it isn't perfectly in the corner lol
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

I'm playing this with clusterfuck.
Enemies being hit with paralyze lightning while in invulnerable state stay frozen forever (a few can still moves and attacks normally) and can't be damaged, either my projectiles passed through or can hit them but deals no damage. Mdk doesn't work but at least kill command do work.

I still need further testing for that. But considering there are not many mods with invulnerable enemies, it feels difficult.
Anyone know some mods that has easy access on invulnerable enemies?

Edit (~1 day later): I just recently play it with strife. Similar problem with hexen, punch dagger is registered as ranged attack. Also, thunder paralyze isn't paralyzing at all when I hit the enemies, it's more like giving them haste. (still strife)
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

DarkkOne wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:17 pm A new request: Some way to banish the revivified enemies. On Map07 and my weapon brought back an Arachnotron, and I had to "kill monsters" to kill it and make the exit raise. Despite the readme saying they take full damage from my attacks, everything only does 1 damage per hit. Genuinely thought that 1/hit was likely intentional until I went to double-check in the readme to see if there was a time limit or some mentioned way to get rid of them. Maybe a simple time limit like 15 seconds? Or they come back, but lose 5% of their life per second naturally, or some other natural method of expiration?
In this case the README is wrong -- I changed the code and forgot to update the documentation. They originally took full damage from your attacks but I found that in chaotic fights they tended to die instantly without getting to do anything. This does mean that they block your line of fire (although not your movement); I've been experimenting with ways to make your shots pass through them but don't have anything reliable yet.
Starman the Blaziken wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:35 pm I think I rather be able to banish the ones you want maybe by looking with a key bind to despawn them to do so rather than be temporary because heck I always want ghosts that do constantly still live post-reviving and bring a helpful use if I manage to get at least a few in the first place.
Oh. And also, something where it can bypass the map script check, so they do not cause the issue so that banishing them is not as much of an issue for those kinds of maps.
Yeah, I have no idea what's happening with the scripting checks -- maybe the script is checking the specific actors? Revivification wiggles the flags on them so that they no longer count against the monster limit or as enemies, but if something is checking "are these specific arachnotrons still alive" then it will in fact show up as living.

Maybe, instead of reviving enemies in-place, I need to spawn new copies of them? Or introduce a new helper type that inherits some stats from the dead enemy but does not actually resurrect it.
mamaluigisbagel wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:28 pm I am aware. I just find it annoying when it isn't perfectly in the corner lol
I originally put it in RenderUnderlay because of bad interactions with the map etc, but I think those are resolved now by other means, so I can probably move it back to RenderOverlay now, which I think makes more sense.
Netheritor wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:25 am I'm playing this with clusterfuck.
Enemies being hit with paralyze lightning while in invulnerable state stay frozen forever (a few can still moves and attacks normally) and can't be damaged, either my projectiles passed through or can hit them but deals no damage. Mdk doesn't work but at least kill command do work.

I still need further testing for that. But considering there are not many mods with invulnerable enemies, it feels difficult.
Anyone know some mods that has easy access on invulnerable enemies?

Edit (~1 day later): I just recently play it with strife. Similar problem with hexen, punch dagger is registered as ranged attack. Also, thunder paralyze isn't paralyzing at all when I hit the enemies, it's more like giving them haste. (still strife)
Oh dear.

So, some background here -- earlier versions of lightning used TriggerPainChance() to force the enemy into their pain state every tic. This worked most of the time, but caused Hexen centaurs to actually become immortal until it wore off.

Current versions use A_SetTics() to extend the duration of whatever frame the target is on to match the duration of the lightning, and just apply pain once when it wears off. This prevents the Centaur invincibility issue and usually looks better (and reduces the amount of screaming).

It makes sense that if you hit an enemy with lightning while it's invincible, it stays invincible until the lightning wears off, because its invincibility state is getting extended -- except that if it's invincible, you shouldn't be able to apply lightning to it at all, because the stun scales with the amount of damage you dealt and 0 damage == 0 lightning stacks. It also doesn't make sense that the enemy would stay invincible even once it wears off. So there's something real weird going on here.

My best guess, without actually having time to look at the mod right now, is something like:
- its "invincible" state isn't actually invincible, it just has thousands of points of 100% effective armour that constantly regenerates or something
- damaging its armour still counts as dealing damage, so lightning stacks are applied
- lightning stacks extend the duration of the invincibility state
- when it wears off, the enemy gets forced into the pain state without going through the "no longer invincible" state transition that takes the armour away, and now it's armoured forever
And if it is something like that, removing the burst of pain at the end of the lightning effect will probably fix it? Maybe? I can try that in 0.9.1 and we'll see how it goes.

As for the punch dagger, that's a one-line fix but also a further argument that I should add type inference code for melee weapons rather than trusting the flag, because apparently no-one sets it correctly.
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

So, about lightning stuff. I think it's just clusterfuck problem. Like I said, some projectiles DO passed through them when they got paralyzed. I tested it with hexen centaur and heresiarch. I saw your centaur comment. Heresiarch isn't reliable enough, his ability is invulnerable and reflect. At least I can't get the status effect by reflected projectiles (or maybe it's because I'm in god mode)

Also, is it just me not waiting long enough for paralyze to wear down or there are some instance then paralyze enemies stayed for longer duration (lightning lv1) than intended. I must hit the enemies to shake them out.

A problem with Pandemonia. The super weapon that has durability. When the weapon is upgraded with your mod -> emptying the durability -> I still got the weapons, the weapon has no ammo, I can't pickup new instance of said weapon, it can't be replenished. I must use the rune for infinite weapon durability to use them.
If I don't upgrade them, it's working as intended.
mamaluigisbagel

Suddenly had this crash when playing with a vanilla reloading mod. (I don't think it has an official name) I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe picking an upgrade and opening the menu after too fast? It happened so fast I couldn't tell what it was.

EDIT: I actually wonder if this is a GZDoom crash and not related to this mod at all...

EDIT 2: I had another bug where when using BDLite, killing a Hell Knight put my SSG's xp in the negatives, allowing me to upgrade it endlessly.

ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Netheritor wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:09 pm So, about lightning stuff. I think it's just clusterfuck problem. Like I said, some projectiles DO passed through them when they got paralyzed. I tested it with hexen centaur and heresiarch. I saw your centaur comment. Heresiarch isn't reliable enough, his ability is invulnerable and reflect. At least I can't get the status effect by reflected projectiles (or maybe it's because I'm in god mode)

Also, is it just me not waiting long enough for paralyze to wear down or there are some instance then paralyze enemies stayed for longer duration (lightning lv1) than intended. I must hit the enemies to shake them out.
The duration is 1/25th of a second per point of damage, with diminishing returns after 1 second (so 25 damage will apply 1 second of stun, but you need 75 to get 2 seconds, and it goes up rapidly from there). So it should wear off pretty rapidly.

Are the enemies staying affected by lightning longer than they should, or just paralyzed? Like, do they keep the lightning VFX, or does that wear off but they stay immobile? Looking at the code for lightning, I think it's possible, in some circumstances, for it to end up calling A_SetTics(-1) as it wears off, which I think would probably have this effect. If that's the case it will at least be easy to fix; I'll have a speculative fix in 0.9.1.
A problem with Pandemonia. The super weapon that has durability. When the weapon is upgraded with your mod -> emptying the durability -> I still got the weapons, the weapon has no ammo, I can't pickup new instance of said weapon, it can't be replenished. I must use the rune for infinite weapon durability to use them.
If I don't upgrade them, it's working as intended.
I've never played Pandemonia -- can you walk me through exactly how to reproduce this, and what happens when you do? By "upgrading the weapon" here do you mean installing an upgrade via my mod, or does Pandemonia have its own upgrade system?
mamaluigisbagel wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:11 pm Suddenly had this crash when playing with a vanilla reloading mod. (I don't think it has an official name) I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe picking an upgrade and opening the menu after too fast? It happened so fast I couldn't tell what it was.

EDIT: I actually wonder if this is a GZDoom crash and not related to this mod at all...
That crash is characteristic of menu building code (in a mod) violating one of the undocumented preconditions of the menu display/interaction class (in gzdoom). It probably means that some of my menuing code is wrong, but unless you can find a reliable way of triggering it it's going to be all but impossible to debug. :(
EDIT 2: I had another bug where when using BDLite, killing a Hell Knight put my SSG's xp in the negatives, allowing me to upgrade it endlessly.
That sounds like I have signed/unsigned confusion somewhere that handles XP. Does it only happen with Hell Knights?
Brohnesorge
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Brohnesorge »

re: freezing enemies from shocking, Ive had the same thing happen in LEGION with Archviles, HKs and Barons, so I don't think its specific to clusterfuck. They stay frozen after the particles disappear in whatever state they were in
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

I'll retract my statement above for bonsai and pandemonia bugs. It's not your mod. It's the pandemonia mod itself is bugged. At least I can still repair ther weapon with item. I think I still use 2.1 mod knowledge.

Though, if it's bugged with your mod and pandemonia, although minor; it's the idkfa cheat doesn't give me the durability weapon.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”