Canvas contents are not persistent

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Canvas contents are not persistent

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I thought this was supposed to be the case, yet somehow I'm finding that unless I draw to a canvas every frame, it immediately gets cleared on the next.

Again, a map is provided. This should draw an ouch face with a blue background every 50 frames. Ideally what should happen is that there's no flickering and the drawn contents remain static, but instead it flickers once every 50 frames.
AFADoomer

Re: Canvas contents are not persistent

Post by AFADoomer »

Can confirm this behavior. I had to put my canvas update calls inside of a RenderOverlay/Underlay call inside an event handler to get clean drawing... I assumed this was intended behavior.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Seems to be a Vulkan bug. If I run the test file in OpenGL, the image stays persistent.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

There must be two bugs at play here. First is the vulkan backend opens the drawing with a renderpass that clears the buffer. The second is that it must be actively updating the texture those 49 frames where nobody is drawing to it. It isn't supposed to even setup drawing for the texture unless one of the canvas draw functions have been called.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Fixed in PR 1777

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”