Hardware y-shearing

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Hardware y-shearing

Post by Darkcrafter »

I find that software renderer's y-shearing to be looking more consistent with sprites. A little-bit of real madness, I think if implementing simple y-shearing in hardware would be not that difficult what's about "y-shearing+" - it rerenders matrix just a bit more lower or upper so it doesn't distort under "crazy" looking up or downs.

I googled "GZDoom y-shearing" and it seems like it's not just me who'd like to get at least simple y-shearing in hardware. Doable?
Nash

Re: Hardware y-shearing

Post by Nash »

NetDuke32 has this feature and I honestly didn't expect it to be playable at first, but I've grown to like it.

Ultimately, this would need someone who has the technical know-how and also the interest for oldschool aesthetics to add this in...
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I did too tend to dislike shearing before but playing crispy doom more often and often made me like it more. There is also that strange effect that true 3D look contributes to breaking illusion of primitively extruded map geometry, also edges of walls aren't straight anymore that results in more jaggies. It's kind of like space feels different without 3D look.

Pretty much, that modern direction GZDoom goes to kind of already made vanilla people disliking such a great sourceport. It's possible to set it up looking close to vanilla, why not to go even deeper regarding this issue.

Haters are always going to brag about how far GZDoom went off from vanilla regarding gameplay but now it's just one simple trick to fake that experience a bit closer?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Doing this isn't really more than using different view and projection matrices, unfortunately I have no idea what they need to be...
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Thank you for the attention anyway then. Maybe somebody else knows?
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

You mean having the hardware render the scene in the same way as the software renderer? That can be done by swapping out the normal projection matrix with this one: https://github.com/ZDoom/gzdoom/blob/ma ... rt.cpp#L93

The old model rendering code I had added to the software renderer used it to get softpoly to output correctly into what the software renderer had drawn.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

dpJudas wrote:You mean having the hardware render the scene in the same way as the software renderer?
Yes, unfortunately I don't have any decent coding skills :blergh:

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”