Strife Support? Is It For Real?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Sparky

Strife Support? Is It For Real?

Post by Sparky »

As Of The New Patch, Im Seeing Some Basic Strife Support
So Does That Mean Zdoom Will Support Strife In A Later build Or Is This Just For Mapping ??
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Stop Using Title Case On All Your Words It Is Fucking Annoying.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't know how much motivation Randy has for it, or how likely it will be that a fully functioning game can be worked out and implemented from backwards engineering of the exe. However 2.0.53 does have most of the weapons implemented in a way that (in most cases) feels pretty much like the Strife originals, and one enemy is in place (aside from an unknown flag, apparently). There's also a lot of decorations and stuff working. So, it should already be possible to put together a functioning level using only the stuff implemented already.

In other words, a Zdoom compatible Strife PWAD is now possible, if somewhat limited.

Already it looks and feels great. Even if Randy gets things to a point where we can edit for Strife, use all the strife items in a way that *feels* like the original and make our own levels with ACS (and of course transpose items to and from the other games) and so on then it will be a major step forward.

Whether implementing all the subtleties and details of the original game will ever be possible, who knows? If Randy decides that a full implementation of the original Strife game is not possible, but that he can give us a strong basis for Strife editing, perhaps someone may do the rest with ACS. Then we could have something in the spirit of the original story and game – should be relatively easy to do for someone who knows their stuff, seeing as how the levels are essentially already done. Someone would just have to sit down and work out what is supposed to happen at the various stages convert the levels and write ACS scripts to cover the events. I’m not saying it would be a quick task. It would probably be a bit of a ballbreaker, but it strikes me as something that would be very possible.

And of course, seeing as how Ultraviolet undertook to do the project long before Randy had done anything like this much work on Strife... :)
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Actually, Janis Legzdinsh (Vavoom guy) has been pretty hard at work trying to emulate the actual original script lumps; he says in the next release, you should be able to get as far as freeing the prisoners. The current version (115) already has some conversation stuff worked out as well, if anyone wants to take a look.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, yes things have moved on there too. I only had 114, but on trying 115 there does seem to be a lot more Strifey stuff working. As you indicated the conversation stuff isn't done yet (everybody I tried used their correct background screen but used the first guys sound sample).

Other than that, I didn't see anything particularly "scripty" going on. eg I was able to walk into restricted areas and kill people without any adverse consequences. Be interesting to see what Janis has worked out by the time of the next release. Although, Vavoom releases do seem to be quite far apart.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Enjay wrote:And of course, seeing as how Ultraviolet undertook to do the project long before Randy had done anything like this much work on Strife... :)
Hahaha, are you implying that I'm supposed to have some work done or something? :P

Thing is, this project existed on paper long ago. I was messing around with trying to convert all the textures -- the only work I had done toward the end I was hoping for -- and was about halfway done when Randy started working on Strife support -- the texture support, specifically. From that point on, as soon as I would start to work on or plan out how to work on emulating something else, Randy would code-in support for it straight from the IWAD. I've decided it would be prudent to wait and see exactly how far Randy goes with Strife support before I try to convert or rebuild anything. I'd hate to be doing excess work.

So no, there has been no work done (by me anyway, not sure the state of everybody else's work -- this has become a really big project suddenly!) on emulating the map scripts. If the map scripts have to be emulated, don't get your hopes up on it being done quickly.

From the sounds of it hoping for script-emulation shouldn't be necessary, thanks to Janis Legzdinsh's work. Hopefully he'll be willing to share the code. Vavoom is open source, right? Maybe he and Randy could work toward the center from both ends...
HotWax

Re: Strife Support? Is It For Real?

Post by HotWax »

Sparky wrote:As Of The New Patch, Im Seeing Some Basic Strife Support
So Does That Mean Zdoom Will Support Strife In A Later build Or Is This Just For Mapping ??
thE onlY waY we'D eveR seE truE strifE supporT woulD bE iF thE sourcE codE werE releaseD. unfortunatelY thE companY thaT haS thE rightS tO thE gamE reallY doesn'T carE enougH abouT iT tO releasE thE sourcE (anD mighT noT eveN havE iT anywaY) anD thE originaL author(S?) don'T havE thE sourcE codE arounD anymorE.

(iN casE you'rE wonderinG, yeS youR texT iS jusT aS annoyinG aS minE).
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

please dont do that again
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Chilvence wrote:please dont do that again
Okay, I won't.

goddamN jackasS tellinG mE whaT tO dO. youR motheR iS A hampsteR!
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

yOur fAther sMelled oF eLderbErries :P
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Chilvence wrote:yOur fAther sMelled oF eLderbErries :P
gO awaY yoU sillY wipeR oF otheR people'S bottomS, beforE I taunT yoU A seconD timeee-MUH.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

fet-chez la Vache!

Im glad theres no postcount. People cant say I'm playing postcount++ 8-)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

That didn't stop MightyDuck... by which I mean, myself... from acusing me of increasing post count.

Man that really pissed me off, made me want to kick my ass. If I ever meet myself in real life, I'm going to break my fucking legs. That'll teach me. Fucker.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

WHaT's sO BaD aBOuT mESSed uP cApITaliZATiOn? IT's nOT ThaT BIg A deAL, beCaUse YOu cAn stILL REaD iT fINE, eVEn iF It TAKes yOU lONgEr tO dO iT. JuST DeAl WITH iT.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Xaser wrote:WHaT's sO BaD aBOuT mESSed uP cApITaliZATiOn? IT's nOT ThaT BIg A deAL, beCaUse YOu cAn stILL REaD iT fINE, eVEn iF It TAKes yOU lONgEr tO dO iT. JuST DeAl WITH iT.
It also makes the poster look like an idiot.

Return to “General”