Bullet Time X [v1.2.0] (Slow Motion Mod)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: Bullet Time X [v1.1.0] (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Nash »

I just tried v1.1.0. I noticed something:

It doesn't work too well with actors that have a looping state of 1 tic, or -1, in that - the object's movement does not slow down if the actor is set up in such a way.

I was testing this with Nash's Gore Mod and some of the blood particles aren't animated (they have a -1 duration state) - those actors will be exempt from slowing down and will move at full speed.

Also, it seems that the Tick overrides aren't slowed down either; going back to the same blood particle actor - there's code in the Tick override that reduces the actor's alpha - the Tick runs at full speed during slowmo, causing weird issues.

Not sure if this is something Bullet Time X should try to fix, or if it's something I should fix on my end.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

lizardcommando wrote:Maybe I'm blind or something, but I do not see the additional options anywhere.
It appears just fine for me. Make sure you're using the full options menu rather than the simple options menu.

Xortts

Post by Xortts »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: EDIT: I don't know how feasible it is to fix this, but when playing with Embers of Armageddon, once enemies enter their glory kill state, their recovery timer does not slow down when you activate bullet time. I don't know if anything can be done about this, but figured I'd bring it up.
Fixed for the next patch! I didn't know monsters could use powerups :D (that's what the mod used for the counter). However the only issue that prevails is that the blinking indicator cannot be slowed down. But the timer at least now gets slowed down
generic name guy wrote:My screen got stuck with the shader applied, didn't matter if bullet time was on or off
I tested it on Delta Touch, at first with GLES 3.0 didn't work, but changing it to GLES 3.2 and enabling user shaders and post shaders works perfectly. Were you using delta touch? If so, which GZDoom version and GLES version?
Nash wrote:I just tried v1.1.0. I noticed something:

It doesn't work too well with actors that have a looping state of 1 tic, or -1, in that - the object's movement does not slow down if the actor is set up in such a way.

I was testing this with Nash's Gore Mod and some of the blood particles aren't animated (they have a -1 duration state) - those actors will be exempt from slowing down and will move at full speed.

Also, it seems that the Tick overrides aren't slowed down either; going back to the same blood particle actor - there's code in the Tick override that reduces the actor's alpha - the Tick runs at full speed during slowmo, causing weird issues.

Not sure if this is something Bullet Time X should try to fix, or if it's something I should fix on my end.
Yeah, I disabled slow downs for actor whose tic was on -1 for perfomance reasons, didn't know there could be some with velocity :D! I will re-enable that with those who have vel.length() > 0 (tested it and seems to work perfectly).
However the tick override issue I can't fix since I don't want to 'skip' the tic() function call as that would definitely break other mods and maybe collisions.

I will see if in future versions I can make a workaround that or just 'replace' those actors with ones that includes the btActive check and change their logic accordingly
generic name guy

Post by generic name guy »

Xortts wrote:
generic name guy wrote:My screen got stuck with the shader applied, didn't matter if bullet time was on or off
I tested it on Delta Touch, at first with GLES 3.0 didn't work, but changing it to GLES 3.2 and enabling user shaders and post shaders works perfectly. Were you using delta touch? If so, which GZDoom version and GLES version?
Yes, i was using Delta Touch 4.7.1 with GZDoom 4.8.2 in GLES 3.2 mode, i turned the bullet time on then went to change some settings, when i turned off bullet time, the shader lighten effect persisted and didn't turn off no matter what i tried.
Xortts

Post by Xortts »

generic name guy wrote:
Yes, i was using Delta Touch 4.7.1 with GZDoom 4.8.2 in GLES 3.2 mode, i turned the bullet time on then went to change some settings, when i turned off bullet time, the shader lighten effect persisted and didn't turn off no matter what i tried.
Just updated Delta Touch (mine was outdated), tested it again but still working just fine.. Do you remember which settings did you change? Are you using any other mods?
generic name guy

Xortts wrote:
generic name guy wrote:
Just updated Delta Touch (mine was outdated), tested it again but still working just fine.. Do you remember which settings did you change? Are you using any other mods?
I was using Beautiful Doom with Nashgore, and i changed the amount it slowed down the game, while i don't really think that's the cause (could just be a one-off bug), that's what i did
TheoDrHashiriya

Post by TheoDrHashiriya »

I recommend adding a short delay between each bullet time trigger because the effect that changes the screen's color remains in normal time when spamming the trigger fast enough.
generic name guy

TheoDrHashiriya wrote:I recommend adding a short delay between each bullet time trigger because the effect that changes the screen's color remains in normal time when spamming the trigger fast enough.
That's literally the bug i'm having, let me try that and see if it happens

Yup, happens
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I'm loving the new mid-air seperate slomo in the new update, it really nails that epic feeling of doing awesome trickshots after diving into a room or out of corner. Very well done. :thumb:

The performance improvements and UI scaling are appreciated too, thank you for these!
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

Previously I've used "SimpleSlowMoMod.pk3", but after introduction of "Unlimited Slow-Mo" I've switched to this mod.

Keep it up, dev! :wub:
DELTAtheDboi005
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

Probably the one that matches the best is the MIT licensing one. You can do whatever you want with the mod (include it, modify it, etc), although if possible, please mention me in the credits or somewhere around the code. I would really appreciate it :D
Congratulations on making one of the best mods I have seen. What's even better is that everyone is free to use this in their own mods provided they give credit. The moment I booted up this mod, I became instantly hooked to it...

Let me count the reasons why this mod absolutely slaps:
1. extensive options.
2. brilliant gameplay potential.
3. the abilty for other modders to freely modify and use this mod in their own projects provided they give credit.
4. A dedicated button prompt allowing for instantaneous bullet time.

And saving the best for last: THE ENTIRE MOD IN GENERAL!

When I use this in my own mods, I will DEFINTELY credit you...

I love it to bits, it's so fun to play with and it has a huge amount of potential. what an achievement :D
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

Maybe it is possible to add an option to change slow-mo activation/deactivation sounds from Max Payne 1 to Killing Floor 1?
Xortts

Post by Xortts »

Hey everyone! New quick update!

Changes v1.1.1:
  • Fix actors with -1 tic would not be slowed down (thx BulletTimeTails and Nash for reporting!)
  • Fix infinite white screen filter (thx generic_name_guy and TheoDrHashiriya for finding the issue!)
  • Removed landing hardcoded sound from SNDINFO because of incompatibility with other mods (thx Vyticoz!)
  • Added powerup slowdown for monsters / actors, should help some mods like Embers of Armaggedon that uses powerups for monster timers (thx mamaluigisbagel!)
--
Spaceman333 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:49 pm I'm loving the new mid-air seperate slomo in the new update, it really nails that epic feeling of doing awesome trickshots after diving into a room or out of corner. Very well done. :thumb:

The performance improvements and UI scaling are appreciated too, thank you for these!
RastaManGames wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:32 pm Previously I've used "SimpleSlowMoMod.pk3", but after introduction of "Unlimited Slow-Mo" I've switched to this mod.

Keep it up, dev! :wub:
Thanks! glad you both enjoyed the new version :D!
DELTAtheDboi005 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:59 am And saving the best for last: THE ENTIRE MOD IN GENERAL!

When I use this in my own mods, I will DEFINTELY credit you...

I love it to bits, it's so fun to play with and it has a huge amount of potential. what an achievement :D
Thank you for the kind words! I'm really happy you liked it :D!
RastaManGames wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:54 pm Maybe it is possible to add an option to change slow-mo activation/deactivation sounds from Max Payne 1 to Killing Floor 1?
Will definitely keep it in mind for 1.2. Probably will also try to include max payne 3 sounds which are different too.
ArkyonVeil

Re: Bullet Time X [v1.1.1] (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by ArkyonVeil »

Fantastic mod, had a great beat of fun. Plus when I used it, it always fulfilled its purpose as an EPIC moment as well as desperation move.

Though I have a request, would it be possible to change the bullet time regen speed/per monster killed to be based on a float rather than an integer? Otherwise its really easy to fill it up in most mapsets. I did the changes in my personal version, but I believe other patrons might also appreciate the added flexibility.

Cheers,
LovecraftNeko
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Bullet Time X [v1.1.1] (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by LovecraftNeko »

I'm just here to report a bug(?) when using it with the current version of PB 3.0 (10/25/2022).

From my experience it randomly crashes but I have found a way to reproduce one instance. It's when I activate bullet time and slide it'll say something like VM Abort. I've asked around in pb server one said that it also crashes when you stop bullet time while kicking and reloading dunno if that'll help.

Much appreciated,

Return to “Gameplay Mods”