Sound is slowed/broken

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Miraak1120
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Sound is slowed/broken

Post by Miraak1120 »

1. Menu selection sound effect/pistol sound is split into 3 bit crunched tones.
2. Menu back is one tone but still very much slower than usual and crushed.
3. Music appears to still be present but the notes are so slow that it doesn't seem like it at first glance
4. most sounds are so badly distorted they do not even appear to be present.
5. It is the same with all midi interpreters available
6. I am using the .deb ubuntu installation of GZDOOM with the vulkan renderer on POP!_OS a debian like linux distrobution.
7. otherwise everything but sound appears to function normally.
Miraak1120

Re: Sound is slowed/broken

Post by Miraak1120 »

Only other thing thats a bit off after double checking is that when I first load in my weapon isnt visible and i need to switch weapons before it appears.
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

Oops, had some pk3s enabled that effected sound, with none of them enabled the pistol is only one tone but its still crunched beyond belief and the other problems persist so its still slowed or broken with completely default setting and no additions beyond the base wads available from the steam games.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

What are your system specs? What audio device are you using (built-in motherboard, HDMI/DisplayPort, external USB, etc)? What version of OpenAL do you have installed? What sound system are you using (PulseAudio, PipeWire, etc)?
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

Chris wrote:What are your system specs? What audio device are you using (built-in motherboard, HDMI/DisplayPort, external USB, etc)? What version of OpenAL do you have installed? What sound system are you using (PulseAudio, PipeWire, etc)?
Sound Sys: Pipewire + pipewite-pulse

OpenAL Version: Unsure, how would i check?

Audio Device: FX-AUDIO- DAC-X6 USB input.
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

Chris wrote:What are your system specs? What audio device are you using (built-in motherboard, HDMI/DisplayPort, external USB, etc)? What version of OpenAL do you have installed? What sound system are you using (PulseAudio, PipeWire, etc)?
My system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x

GPU: RTX 3060 (EVGA)

RAM: 32GB
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

Chris wrote:What version of OpenAL do you have installed?
I think this might be it?

Code: Select all

libopenal1 is already the newest version (1:1.19.1-2build3).
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

Of note is the flatpak version works fine but id prefer not to use flatpak if possible
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Miraak1120 wrote: I think this might be it?

Code: Select all

libopenal1 is already the newest version (1:1.19.1-2build3).
Well, it's surely not the newest version. Whether it's the cause of your problems is another matter.
But since the Flatpak works it clearly points at an issue with one of the dependent libraries on your system.
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

Graf Zahl wrote: Well, it's surely not the newest version. Whether it's the cause of your problems is another matter.
But since the Flatpak works it clearly points at an issue with one of the dependent libraries on your system.
1. Any idea how i might go about updating it?

2. Any idea which library it might be or a list I should go through and update/install?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

1. No, sorry. I know that OpenAL Soft is at 1.22 right now, but how to update this in a lagging Linux distro I cannot tell.
2. My first suggestion would be OpenAL Soft, of course. Whatever else might be at fault would be a secondary dependency where I have no idea what that might be. For loading a stock sound none of the other direcrt dependencies are needed.
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

this is the only guide ive successfully found on the topic, using 1 instead of 0a, if anyone knows if there is some modification to the command to get the latest version please tell me

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/390 ... -in-ubuntu
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

Okay i found somewhere to download the source and will try make installing it. https://openal-soft.org/

update: it didn't fix the issue, so i guess that rules it out?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Miraak1120 wrote:Okay i found somewhere to download the source and will try make installing it. https://openal-soft.org/

update: it didn't fix the issue, so i guess that rules it out?
What is the output of snd_status in the console?

1.19.1 is quite old, almost 4 years old now, though it should work with the PulseAudio backend on pipewire-pulse. There have been improvements to the PulseAudio backend since then, though, and since USB audio devices aren't known for their incredible stability, I wouldn't be very surprised if there's some behavioral quirk that's tripping up that version of the backend. If that were the case, 1.22 should help.
Miraak1120

Post by Miraak1120 »

What is the output of snd_status in the console?
at first i thought you meant the terminal and was about to say there was no command but somehow everything is working now, I innstalled the snd-gui-pulse (22.1-1) debian package which may somehow be the culprit, or one of its dependencies for fixing my issue. Thank both of you very much for your time and I hope this thread is able to help others, if i come into this issue again for some reason ill come back to this thread but for now it is currently functioning. :D :mrgreen:

Return to “Technical Issues”