Nutifier-Remember NUTS? [V372 "Dead corpses?"]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lulle

Nutifier-Remember NUTS? [V372 "Dead corpses?"]

Post by lulle »

I think every1 has played 1 of the "NUTS" maps already . So here is a mod to pump up every map to NUTS level!

Screenshot_Doom_20220713_042038.jpg
nutifier1.jpg

What is so great (nuts) about it?
-This mod is non-intrusive and doesnt break any other mod you pair it with:
No mod option menu, titlemap, monster replacer, weaponmod will be rendered unusable.
Nutifier runs in the background and does its job without disturbance or interference.
Small patches are included, e.g. for HellCrusher: You cant climb with the NUTWeapon equipped, but hey: Why so serious?
Feel free to report an issues!
-Almost every option can be disabled or enabled.

Some numbers for the first maps on highest nutify level: (numbers are changing as I work on it)
DOOM2: MAP01: 381 monsters, on lowest nutification: "only" 96 (how boring...)
DOOM2: MAP02: 192
DOOM2: MAP03: 477
DOOM2: Map04: 232
Plutonia Map01: 698!

Settings in Mod Options:
-You can tune your NUT experience from Slightly Silly up to Notoriously Nuts. Default: Lowest level (I think?)
+Option: "Kills regen health" to stay a few seconds longer alive :D Adjustable from 0 health per kill up to 10 HpK.
+Option: Add Archviles. Sometimes I Scare Myself.
+Option: NUT Monsters. Make monsters go nuts too. Why not?
+Option: Warmup time. Delay start of map so you have enough time to type "god" in the console.
+Option: Start equipment. Get that sweet shiny supershotgun or do the job with bare fists. Embrace the madness.
+Option_ Monsters drop ammo. That's nuts. Literally.
+++
Download V372
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLEWWh ... sp=sharing
Older Versions:
Spoiler:
Not nuts enough?
Simpy add a monster randomizer like VDP-MonsterRandomizer or ColourfulHell or eat your keyboard.

Updates:
V372
+Fixed option "Add Archviles" (1% chance)
+added corpses to the corpsequeue: https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_QueueCorpse. Should give the Hamster in your PC some time to breath.
-Tested with "Aracnocide" Weapons Mod: Ok. Nice Mod, if you are looking for a challenge: Check it out: viewtopic.php?t=50299
V371
+A new NUT weapon: The" Sauger". If you really want to "clear" the map: Use it. Also has an AltFire. (Inspiration&sounds taken from Extreme Weapons mod)
+Option: Sprite Nuts instead of MD3 Nuts. If you ate the hamster that powered your PC: Turn on simple Nuts.
V360
Finally....NUTFIER got a weapon. I think everybody saw this coming. Its a nut firing nuts. The dmg output is...okay. It can be disabled in the options menu, weaponslot is 1 because where else should you put a weapons that deals more damage than all weapons in Russian overkill combined? Altfire is SniperMod amf highly compatible with other mods. (added a fix for hellcrusher)
V330
+Works with DOOM 1! Loot, Weapons and Monsters adjusted.
+Added some Lost Souls (DOOM1) and PainElementals(DOOM2) to the the mix.
+Added Enemy Scouter Widget. Disabled per default.
V315
+clever ammo drops: instead of a random ammo type, NUTIFIER trys to guess what kinf of ammo you need.
+level clear message
V300
-less semistuck monsters!
+more monsters!
+further improved compatibility with other mods: last piece missing: ammo drops finally work. All monsters are dropping a NUT which gives you some ammo.
+option to enable/disable drops
V230 Tnx to: Alamo985
-Fixed. Pistol drop
+moved NUTIFIER settings to "Options". Nutifier wont override settings of Russian Overkill or other mods any more
V225
+Option bigger better start equip.
V220 Tnx fly out to: Teh Person!
+Option: Disable Evil Laughing
+Feature: Nutifier is automatically FULLY disabled on TitleMaps.
V210:
-New option: Choose Start Equipment. Need a shotgun or are your bare fists enough?
V200: TY 4 ideas and feedback: RastaManGames and Spaceman333!
-Significantly improved compatibility with other mods! Brutal Doom looks OK as far as I tested it and FINALLY it works with Hideous Destructor!
Thats great because now you can take a monster randomizer, a weapon mod, a companion and nutify your map. (Check out "HULKs your best friend" btw...)
-Looks like I'm getting closer to 0 semi stuck monsters (semi: cos they are kinda glued to a wall, not really a big deal but annoying), depending on map and random() you can actually get a 0. Thats nuts.
Sideeffect: Less monsters. About 270 in MAP01 which is still nuts...
-New option: You can set a warmup time. From 0 "Why are you screaming?" up to 10 seconds (" Nine, ten, never sleep again!"). Countdown is displayed and monsters are frozen.
-Less Cacodemons. There were too much blocking monsters, so I removed some Cacos. They looked at me very sadly with their cute demonic eyes but what should I do? My fridge was empty. I am just a man with feelings...and Hunger is one of that feelings.
V110:
-Managed to stuff about 50% more monsters in. Yeah, nuts. About 330 up from 29 in MAP01. Feels like rush hour.
-Found a way to remove some semi-stucked monsters. In MAP01 you will still find 1 or 2. With over 300 monsters added, thats almost 0.
-New option: Add Archviles. Very cool, they can easily add 100+ monsters. I love it. Finished MAP01 with 470 kills. Sweet stuff.
-New setting: NUT Monsters. Some will start immediately fighting each other.
-Added a bit of description to the mod settings.
V100:
Initial release.

AAQ: (Not just FAQ, this is All Asked Questions + the answer)
Spoiler:
I love to paint with wax crayons between my toes on white soft walls.
Enjoy!

Licence:
Spoiler:
Last edited by lulle on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:31 am, edited 48 times in total.
Spaceman333

Re: Nutifier-Remember NUTS?

Post by Spaceman333 »

How does it work and how does it limit itself?

This mod seems to differ from m8f's 10.5x mod which simply multiplies enemy spawns, so X amount of imps will spawn where any imps are etc, but judging by the screenshot and positions, the enemies are of any type seem to freely spawn anywhere where theres a floor.

Makes me wonder if there are sections of a level that are intended as a vista/scenery view where no player nor monster is ever supposed to go then would that lead to monsters spawning in inaccesible areas?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Spaceman333 wrote:Makes me wonder if there are sections of a level that are intended as a vista/scenery view where no player nor monster is ever supposed to go then would that lead to monsters spawning in inaccesible areas?
I think that's probably the case.
lulle

Post by lulle »

Spaceman333 wrote:How does it work and how does it limit itself?

This mod seems to differ from m8f's 10.5x mod which simply multiplies enemy spawns, so X amount of imps will spawn where any imps are etc, but judging by the screenshot and positions, the enemies are of any type seem to freely spawn anywhere where theres a floor.
Basically:
-get center of every sector->spawn a SpecialSpot
-make that spot spawn other spots until out of bounds
-spawn a monster @ every spot.
But, if you do it like this, it will end up in a perfect mess :oops:
Monsters stuck in walls, stacked on each other, monster in monster, monster in really unreachable places (because: map design) etc..
Now comes the funny part: finding out why?
Examples:
-if there is a sector in/around a sector like a wall around a square room: both sectors have the same center->stuck monsters
-the centerpoint of a "L" or "U" shaped sector is the center of the rectancle that sector would form (I think). So MAP01 the first hallway....hm
-if there is a pillar or other void in the center of sector: the first spot will be invalid, but the next ones aorund may be mostly fine. So destroying the first spot after checking is no good idea->result in "empty" rooms :/
-if you are spamming to large circles of spots you will reach another sector which might be already full of spots->big mess. Checking if the sector index changed helps here.
Tricks:
-the spots have a height and a radius big enough to avoid stacking in lower rooms
-spots do a https://zdoom.org/wiki/CheckProximity and can destroy themselves. If a spot "sees" another spot in a certain range( 64 for nutlevel 3): destroy()
-spawn spots,check. Spawn monsters, check again.
-add some random xy to the center spot you get
-thrust monsters a bit
Spaceman333 wrote: Makes me wonder if there are sections of a level that are intended as a vista/scenery view where no player nor monster is ever supposed to go then would that lead to monsters spawning in inaccesible areas?
You can reach a 100% kill count in every level a tested so far (Oblige and vamilla maps). Even if you cant get there, you can kill them. And cacos can fly!
But why even think about it? Every area is reachable, because the master itself stated once:
Making sure that if a player could see outside that they should be able to somehow get there.
(John Romero's design rules, #5)
Last edited by lulle on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lulle

Post by lulle »

Enjay wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:Makes me wonder if there are sections of a level that are intended as a vista/scenery view where no player nor monster is ever supposed to go then would that lead to monsters spawning in inaccesible areas?
I think that's probably the case.
Yeah. I saved this for maybe later. You can kill them and get your 100% kilcount, so I didnt bother to much with it. I thought about a linetracer or other checks I found in the *brillant* wiki but aeh I'm doing this for fun and not for a PHD in computer science. For the latter case I would train a model with vizdoom or real quick write a traveling salesman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travellin ... oblem%20in for ZDoom, but..
I AM NOT NUTS!

Apropos nuts(1): Enjay playing on nutslevel 3. My respect for this! :lol:
Nuts(2): Waiting for he first 1 to do a 100% speed run on lvl3. Preferred on nightmare and no health regen.
Nuts(3): Instead of spawning that low loser monster types just spawning archviles would be endless fun I think.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

lulle wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:How does it work and how does it limit itself?

Basically:
-get center of every sector->spawn a SpecialSpot
-make that spot spawn other spots until out of bounds
-spawn a monster @ every spot.
But, if you do it like this, it will end up in a perfect mess :oops:
Monsters stuck in walls, stacked on each other, monster in monster, monster in really unreachable places (because: map design) etc..
Now comes the funny part: finding out why?
Examples:
-if there is a sector in/around a sector like a wall around a square room: both sectors have the same center->stuck monsters
-the centerpoint of a "L" or "U" shaped sector is the center of the rectancle that sector would form (I think). So MAP01 the first hallway....hm
-if there is a pillar or other void in the center of sector: the first spot will be invalid, but the next ones aorund may be mostly fine. So destroying the first spot after checking is no good idea->result in "empty" rooms :/
-if you are spamming to large circles of spots you will reach another sector which might be already full of spots->big mess. Checking if the sector index changed helps here.
Tricks:
-the spots have a height and a radius big enough to avoid stacking in lower rooms
-spots do a https://zdoom.org/wiki/CheckProximity and can destroy themselves. If a spot "sees" another spot in a certain range( 64 for nutlevel 3): destroy()
-spawn spots,check. Spawn monsters, check again.
-add some random xy to the center spot you get
-thrust monsters a bit
Nice, the mod runs on an intelligent algorithm to fill areas naturally and prevent overlap. That's really impressive and makes me appreciate the mod even more.

I suppose the 100% kills only becomes an issue if the map doesn't offer enough ammo or the monster is stuck on a inaccesible lower elevation vista area where the player can't get an angle on the enemy - unless its a flying one that'd float up. Thankfully for the majority of maps thats not a problem.
lulle

Post by lulle »

Spaceman333 wrote: Nice, the mod runs on an intelligent algorithm to fill areas naturally and prevent overlap. That's really impressive and makes me appreciate the mod even more.
Tnx. Could be better, but up from 19 monsters up to 232 is enough I think :lol: More important than the quantity is that the mod doenst ruin the fun.
Spaceman333 wrote: I suppose the 100% kills only becomes an issue if the map doesn't offer enough ammo or the monster is stuck on a inaccesible lower elevation vista area where the player can't get an angle on the enemy - unless its a flying one that'd float up. Thankfully for the majority of maps thats not a problem.
I see you thought about it, nice. So did I!
Drop items are replaced: (decorate)

Code: Select all

Actor DropItemSpawner : RandomSpawner 1112 {
	DropItem "Pistol",255,2
	DropItem "Shotgun",255,2
	DropItem "SuperShotgun",128,1
	DropItem "ChainGun",192,2
	DropItem "PlasmaRifle",128,1
	DropItem "RocketLauncher",128,1
	DropItem "Clip",255,4
	DropItem "Shell",255,4
	DropItem "Cell",255,4
	DropItem "RocketAmmo",128,4
	DropItem "ArmorBonus",255,8
	DropItem "Healthbonus",255,8
	DropItem "StimPack",255,1
}
e.g. CHAINGUNGUY doesnt always drop a chaingun any more and even "useless" monsters like cacodemon drop ammo and stuff. Running out of ammo should isnt an issue.

But I thought a little further. Its still uber brutal. So I added the feature "Kills regen health" to give you a real chance to survive - every kill counts so even monster infighting gives you HP.
If you manage to survive the first few seconds, you can probably finish the map.
The trick is to kill the easy monsters first to get quickly health. The rest are usual tactics, like using infight to your advantage, hiding, strafing etc.
Some maps are pretty sweet to play like MAP01, other like MAP02 give you real bad start *ouch*
lulle

Post by lulle »

Tried MAP02 and its a piece of cake if you pull out a big weapon before exiting MAP01. OK, health regen enabled :D

Uploaded a vid of MAP01 100% kills (Nutlvl3, 10HpK, UV)
Version 100 (outdated!)

Took me a few tries, because random is sometimes not your friend.
Random() decides randomly to be friend or foe :D
(Update: Because of that: Countdown added)

Info:
Outdated. New version ist out.
Last edited by lulle on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
lulle

Post by lulle »

Updated to V110. More monsters, more options, more NUTS!
(Infos in the 1. post)

Info
Still doesnt work with Hideous Destructor!
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20220626_192544.jpg
lulle

Post by lulle »

Tried to nutify NUTS1. Nutify only added a few hundred monsters. No wonder, it's NUTS!
nutinut.jpg
Tests with Oblige maps gave me about +50%. To an Oblige map with monster Quantity set to "NUTS" can still be added 50% on top.
Last edited by lulle on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

It's kinda supports various weapon packs, but gives default fists, pistol, shotgun and ssg, for some reasons...
IDKFA works fine though.
By the way... What is this strange Joker-like laugh?..
lulle

Post by lulle »

RastaManGames wrote:It's kinda supports various weapon packs, but gives default fists, pistol, shotgun and ssg, for some reasons...
IDKFA works fine though.
Yeah I chose to create a new playerclass as an entry point for the mod. That was lazy and is kinda ugly. I think I can do it cleaner, what will make it work better with other mods. Stay tuned, Im working on it, mainly on getting that last stubborn STUCK bastards out of the way, but yeah making it cleaner is a good idea, tnx fpr pointing me in that direction.
RastaManGames wrote: By the way... What is this strange Joker-like laugh?..
Oh. Took it from the Joker model for Quake 3: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=75745 I resurrected for GZDoom. That model was made 20 years ago, so yeah I think it is really a joker laugh, probably taken from a batman movie of that area, maybe Jack Nicholson. I mean: nuts+jack nicholson=perfect match :D
The laugh is played when your kill count gets above 5 kills per sec.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I'm currently busy and haven't gotten the change to play doom, but I wanted to know if these options exist?

Option to cap the max amount of monsters this can spawn for level (I can handle up to 800 monsters before game start lagging badly)?
Option to set a deadzone radius around player spawn to make the starting area calm?
Or maybe give the player a temporary freeze time powerup for 10-30 seconds on level start to get their bearings, especially on new unplayed levels.
lulle

Post by lulle »

Spaceman333 wrote:I'm currently busy and haven't gotten the change to play doom, but I wanted to know if these options exist?
Option to cap the max amount of monsters this can spawn for level (I can handle up to 800 monsters before game start lagging badly)?
Option to set a deadzone radius around player spawn to make the starting area calm?
Or maybe give the player a temporary freeze time powerup for 10-30 seconds on level start to get their bearings, especially on new unplayed levels.
Not yet. But the key word is yet. These are very nice ideas!
A) Easy, just adding a counter should do it
B+C) Yeah the start is too fast and hectic. I gave the player a blast what -hm- doesnt really solve it, quite the opposite :D
A QnD workaround would be freeze-remove some monsters-unfreeze.
I will see what I can do *evil laugh* Dont spawning them in the first place would be the cleanest solution.
Clean like this white room with the soft walls.... :D
lulle

Post by lulle »

UPDATE V200: BIGGER BADER BETTER!
Significantly improved compatibility!

Brutal DOOM:
brutalnut.jpg
This is as far I can get without writing a proper/specific patch.
Update:No big deal because the only feature you "lose" are the bonus drops from monsters. This is only noticeable in the first (few) map(s) so I added an option to give you shotgun&shells on map start (@Mod Settings->Start Equip). If you have a better idea, let me know!

More infos in the 1. post.

Embrace the madness!
Last edited by lulle on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”