Omni-Wolf v1.6! (Mostly) Hexen compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Whoah

Omni-Wolf v1.6! (Mostly) Hexen compatible!

Post by Whoah »

Hello!! I've been a lurker on these forums for some time, but this is my first real post, so apologies in advance if I buggered something up. ANYWAYS, with that outta the way lemme tell you what this is all about.

Omni-Wolf is a mod I've been working on over the last couple days, aiming to bring the simple-yet-engaging gameplay from Wolfenstein 3D to doom engine games. Specifically, the focuses of this mod are:
-Simple gameplay. No fancy guns with reloading or altfires or different ammo types, nope just the 4 weapons found in Wolf3D. For now.
-Multi-IWAD compatibility. Currently, Doom and Heretic, and Hexen are supported, but I'm also considering Hacx and Chex Quest to be added to that list. Not Strife though, cuz screw that.
-Monster mod compatibility. That's right, no new enemies here. You want Nazis to shoot? Go grab Bratwurst or Kriegsland, cuz this here is strictly weapons and items. And BJ himself of course.

Oh, and I should probably mention that I am by no means an experienced coder. In fact, this mod is partially an exercise in getting used to modding as a whole. Many things are borrowed or used as a base, and much of this is done in decorate. I did my best to credit everyone I borrowed from as well as make sure I had permission to do so, but if you see some of your work here used either without credit or permission, then please let me know and I'll fix it pronto.

Screenies: https://imgur.com/a/PtstKj7

Weapons:
Spoiler:
Items:
Spoiler:
Ok! Enough of that, here's the download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6i3ln9u ... 6.pk3/file (current version: v1.6)

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Oh, and here's a list of known issues/future plans.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Whoah on Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
BROS_ETT_311

Re: Omni-Wolf! Wolf3D style gameplay for Doom and beyond!

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Soooo...Wolf3D weapons for Doom. Awesome! All the weapons feel pretty accurate to their Wolf3D counterparts, if not a tad on the over-powered side of the spectrum. I assume this is to account for balancing purposes when facing off against beefier enemies. I do have one minor nitpick in regards to the movement speed though, as it currently feels a bit too fast. Granted, I'm sure the intended play is to have auto-run turned off, but I feel like a nice middle ground can be achieved here. Could be that the friction needs to be upped, but hard to place my finger on what exactly feels off. Maybe consider how movement is handled here? viewtopic.php?f=43&t=70666
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote:Soooo...Wolf3D weapons for Doom. Awesome! All the weapons feel pretty accurate to their Wolf3D counterparts, if not a tad on the over-powered side of the spectrum. I assume this is to account for balancing purposes when facing off against beefier enemies. I do have one minor nitpick in regards to the movement speed though, as it currently feels a bit too fast. Granted, I'm sure the intended play is to have auto-run turned off, but I feel like a nice middle ground can be achieved here. Could be that the friction needs to be upped, but hard to place my finger on what exactly feels off. Maybe consider how movement is handled here? viewtopic.php?f=43&t=70666
Glad you like it! Yeah, that's pretty much why they're so strong, particularly when using monster mods. Still tweaking damage values, so we'll see if I can figure out a more effective way of balancing them.

As for the movement, the current system is literally just nashmove with a higher player speed. This also means it still has that weird effect where the player's speed skyrockets whenever they take damage. I'll take a look at that mod's movement system and see what I can do!
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

If you can wait a few days I'll be posting a newer build of my wolf mod with a improved wolfenmovement system. (thank lewisk3 for that) which you can use for your mod.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

JoeyTD wrote:If you can wait a few days I'll be posting a newer build of my wolf mod with a improved wolfenmovement system. (thank lewisk3 for that) which you can use for your mod.
Oh fantastic! That'd be much appreciated, I'll be sure to update the credits accordingly
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Well look at that, love it when a collab comes together!
RaZZoR

Post by RaZZoR »

Interesting ombination of Wolfenstein 3D and merged Doom maps, but it's pretty cool.
dasho

Post by dasho »

Did you get express permission from CeeJay to use his content? This is in the text file with his release of B.J's Personal Hell:

"Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse."
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

dasho wrote:Did you get express permission from CeeJay to use his content? This is in the text file with his release of B.J's Personal Hell:

"Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse."
Oh damn! I tried checking the thread and the wolfhell.wad file itself for something regarding permission/credits for the hud, but I will admit I completely missed that text file somehow. I may have accidentally deleted it. I'll remove the download for the time being until I can either get express permission or make a new hud completely. Terribly sorry about that, this was the exact sort of thing I was trying to avoid.

EDIT to avoid double posting: The download link shall be restored sometime in the next couple days, once I finish this new update. Its gonna come with a few new things, primarily a brand new hud based off the original Wolf3D status bar, as well as Hexen compatibility, new player sprites, and an overhauled movement system borrowed from JoeyTD's Wolf'en Doom Lite mod. Stay tuned.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Ok, I know I just said I wouldn't double post BUT the mod has been updated! All assets taken from CeeJay's mod have been removed, and replaced with either original(-ish) assets or ones more publicly available. There have also been numerous balancing changes, as well as that new movement system! Next update should have the meaty stuff, like Hexen compatibility and maybe some new mechanics, but for now, get psyched and check it out: https://www.mediafire.com/file/mds1ewbv ... 2.pk3/file
Whoah

Re: Omni-Wolf v1.5! (Mostly) Hexen compatible!

Post by Whoah »

Ok! Another update! This time I'm bringing a more or less functional score system, Hexen compatibility, and a couple new items. The treasure no longer gives you health, and now actually gives you points, though these aren't good for anything really. I'm planning on making it so you get 200 health and some ammo when you get 40000 points BUT I haven't figured that out yet. Either way enjoy, and feel free to toss some feedback or suggestions my way. https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6i3ln9u ... 6.pk3/file

EDIT: Just uploaded a hotfix/mini-update. This should fix an issue I ran into where the wings of wrath would not work properly due to the custom movement system. Seems to be fixed now. Oh! And the points have worth now! Get 40000 of them, and you'll get 200 health and 50 bullets! You can also drink some decorative blood objects when below 11 health, for a measly 1 HP, just like the original Wolf3D. Check it out!
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Omni-Wolf v1.6! (Mostly) Hexen compatible!

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool mod, but... how exactly am I supposed to kill the Icon of Sin now? :?
Whoah

Re: Omni-Wolf v1.6! (Mostly) Hexen compatible!

Post by Whoah »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Cool mod, but... how exactly am I supposed to kill the Icon of Sin now? :?
Yeah that's an issue at the moment. I plan on adding a couple more weapons in the next update, with one being a rocket launcher that will fix that.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”