[ZMusic] fluid_samplerate doesn't have any effect.

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

[ZMusic] fluid_samplerate doesn't have any effect.

Post by KynikossDragonn »

FluidSynth in ZMusic seems hardcoded to only run at 44100, but I run all my audio at 48000. If I have "Nearest" set as the resampler in OpenAL, FluidSynth becomes noticeably aliased.

I would expect "fluid_samplerate 48000" would cause ZMusic to run FluidSynth at that rate but it doesn't seem to do this... Setting the cvar in GZDoom and/or Raze and restarting the entire sound system produces no results, FluidSynth is started at 44100 Hz sampling rate regardless.

I'm running a ZMusic compiled with this commit that appears to still be the latest I've compiled recently.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [ZMusic] fluid_samplerate doesn't have any effect.

Post by Graf Zahl »

The reason why this does not work is that ZMusic has a two-stage approach to sample rate, but GZDoom does not pass in its output rate so it always defaults to 44100, overriding the custom setting. ZMusic works as intended, the bug is on GZDoom's side.

But you really shouldn't run the "nearest" resampler as it creates lots of such problems with other sounds that are not as easily solved. Something will always get undesirable aliasing.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [ZMusic] fluid_samplerate doesn't have any effect.

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Oh... huh, so it has to be fixed in GZDoom/Raze itself?

For context: I use the "Nearest" when playing with original sounds (especially with Duke Nukem 3D and Blood), on some GZDoom mods I switch to Linear, in some rare cases I switch it to "bsinc24".

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”