gzdoom 4.8.0 Half of the sky is missing.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

gzdoom 4.8.0 Half of the sky is missing.

Post by Guest »

Hello, I've just compiled 4.8.0.

My first issue was that gzdoom couldn't find gzdoom.pk3. I had to change dir to where the file is (/usr/local/share/games/doom/) and the run gzdoom. This wasn't an issue in 4.7.1.

Another issue is with sky rendering. Both in Hexen and Doom2 half of the sky is missing. No such issue for Realms of Cronos
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: gzdoom 4.8.0 Half of the sky is missing.

Post by wildweasel »

Do you have a screenshot of the problem?
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

Basil Hundlemure wrote:My first issue was that gzdoom couldn't find gzdoom.pk3. I had to change dir to where the file is (/usr/local/share/games/doom/) and the run gzdoom
Just run it from where you compiled it, don't sudo make install it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Basil Hundlemure wrote:Another issue is with sky rendering. Both in Hexen and Doom2 half of the sky is missing. No such issue for Realms of Cronos
What renderer and chipset do you use? Your description reminds me of this issue, which might be your problem.

Post by Guest »

Damn, it's working ok today. I checked on Doom, Doom2, Hexen and Hexen Deathkings…

The renderer is Vulkan. I'm on Slackware Linux. My GPU is Radeon RX550.

Cheers for the input guys. I'll post again if something new pops up.

As for the missing gzdoom.pk3. I've always installed gzdoom this way. That is, I use cmake to compile, install in a temp location with DESTDIR so that I can create a package and then I install the package using Slackware's installpkg command.
Now, if I start gzdoom from location other than /usr/local/share/games/doom/ (where gzdoom.pk3 is located) I get the error the file is missing. Strange. This path is included in my ~/.config/gzdoom/gzdoom.ini
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Don't count your chickens, the sky issue only appears sometimes from what I've seen. As for missing gzdoom.pk3, I also install to a non-standard location, you sure you're putting it under FileSearch and not IWADSearch and just as the directory? My example.

Code: Select all

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=$HOME/iwad
[FileSearch.Directories]
Path=$HOME/pwad/mod
Path=$HOME/pwad/map
Path=$HOME/opt/gzdoom/share/games/doom

Post by Guest »

You were right. The sky is missing again :)

as for my config

[code]
[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=~/.config/gzdoom
Path=/usr/local/share/doom
Path=/usr/local/share/games/doom
Path=/usr/share/doom
Path=/usr/share/games/doom

[FileSearch.Directories]
Path=~/.config/gzdoom
Path=/usr/local/share/doom
Path=/usr/local/share/games/doom
Path=/usr/share/doom
Path=/usr/share/games/doom
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
[/code]

I tried commenting out everything except for Path=~/.config/gzdoom from IWDASearch.Directories but it still couldn't find the file. The actual location is /usr/local/share/games/doom/gzdoom.pk3
I think it's the standard location.
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

IWADSearch.Directories is only relevant for e.g. doom2.wad. gzdoom.pk3 and any -file loaded add-ons are searched for in FileSearch.Directories. In my case it's at $HOME/opt/gzdoom/share/games/doom/gzdoom.pk3 so, I don't know. You have read access to the directory and file? It is for the same version of GZDoom? Building from source should have done it. If all else fails rename your INI file and see if the default one finds it.
MultitudeOfFoes
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by MultitudeOfFoes »

fakemai wrote:IWADSearch.Directories is only relevant for e.g. doom2.wad. gzdoom.pk3 and any -file loaded add-ons are searched for in FileSearch.Directories. In my case it's at $HOME/opt/gzdoom/share/games/doom/gzdoom.pk3 so, I don't know. You have read access to the directory and file? It is for the same version of GZDoom? Building from source should have done it. If all else fails rename your INI file and see if the default one finds it.
It's the file that came with this installation. When I run gzdoom from the directory containing gzdoom.pk3 it works fine
MultitudeOfFoes

I've noticed that the sky isn't always half black. Sometimes half of it has slightly different colours. Like there was some kind of filter on half of the sky
MultitudeOfFoes

here's an example. Sometimes the coloured portion of the sky is just black. Sometimes it works fine. And in this example I've just noticed the mountains are affected by this as well.
Attachments
Screenshot_Hexen_20220617_084040s.png
Screenshot_Hexen_20220617_084040s.png (138.57 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Gez

Post by Gez »

Again, this is this issue.
MultitudeOfFoes

Gez wrote:Again, this is this issue.
Yes, it looks like it's the same issue.

Cheers.
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

MultitudeOfFoes wrote:It's the file that came with this installation. When I run gzdoom from the directory containing gzdoom.pk3 it works fine
I've just come across the same issue myself when attempting to build a newer version, and from a quick look at the file search, it's not actually searching anywhere but the working directory, not sure why that's changed but the INI paths are not used. For now I've resorted to more or less mimicking how the official .deb is laid out as a proper /opt style setup with the wrapper script. It'll do for now.

Return to “Technical Issues”