Is This Even Real?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
hitmanx

Re: Is This Even Real?

Post by hitmanx »

I had luck getting reshade and the RTGI shader working by using the 5.0 version of reshade which adds more support for opengl programs.

It definitely has issues, the general effect of RTGI is visible through sprites so it looks a bit funny at times and the performance cost is just too high.

You can get a psudo RTGI effect using this shader with a long name FGFXLargeScalePerceptualObscuranceIrradiance

It bassically blurs the image and then overlays it with some nice blending, kinda simulates light bounce in a way but yeah, it can also look pretty odd but it's interesting to play around with.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

IMHO this RTX looks...nice...but it doesn't worth to buy a new overpriced video card for it. It seems more like a fad to me. Took a look on Quake 2's RTX, and well, quite frankly, the KMQuake2 add-on looks a trillion and two times better.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Reactor wrote:It seems more like a fad to me.
Don't judge a promising hardware feature by one really poor "showcase" project.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Of course I didn't do that. I checked other showcases as well, and still, my opinion is kinda akin to Shania Twain's - I think its alright, but not THAT special.
Be thankful this feature is not so popular yet - imagine gettin' dozens of e-mails or request topics 'bout making GZDoom handle RTX. It would put you into a mental asylum in a month ;)
-Stormwalker-

Post by -Stormwalker- »

Gez wrote:
Enjay wrote:Agreed - it's totally over the top: unrealistic to the point of total distraction. With any luck it's a proof of concept demo and a "sane" version might be possible.
Yeah, for the purpose of demonstration it can make sense to exaggerate the effects, but for actual gameplay it should be toned down to relative subtlety. Doom levels were built around their limitations, including the simplistic sector lighting system. There's a balance to strike between bringing in enhancements to the rendering and preserving the original look.
Exactly. If this isn't toned down significantly, it will end up largely overpowering and nullifying any modern quality sector lighting done by experienced mappers.

Return to “Off-Topic”