[Unstable] There's Something About Tails

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP/Video Pg9] There's Something About Tails

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Okay, thanks for the, what 5th time? I use Paint.NET as well, but I've never used Paint Tool SAI. I'll look into that. I still need to learn mapping, but from what I understand, that comes from practice.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

This is looking pretty neat so far. I do have some comments though:

Will you be making new textures to match the cartoon style of the graphics?
Will you be tweaking the animations for the weapon sprites? It's a bit choppy. The sprites themselves look decent.
Are you going to adjust the health for the enemy space marines? It seems a bit much for them to withstand a close range shot from a shotgun.
Project Dark Fox wrote: As for the mugshot graphics? Again, that's depending on how you want to do them. If you want a semi-realistic look, you may want to look into either doing some serious pixel-pushing with your game palette out and available (I do not have any tutorials handy for the pixel-working), or if you want something a little more cartoony, ... well, good luck with that one. I've only seen exactly two instances where that method worked, and that was The Adventures of Square, and Lizard Commando's mod. (I forgot the name of it...)
My mod's called Lizard Squad ;)
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

lizardcommando wrote:This is looking pretty neat so far. I do have some comments though:

Will you be making new textures to match the cartoon style of the graphics?
Not likely. The held graphics may get refined a bit, though, I'll be honest, I don't have a final look pinned down that will still be quick to make.
Will you be tweaking the animations for the weapon sprites? It's a bit choppy. The sprites themselves look decent.
Weapon sprites by no means are finished.
Are you going to adjust the health for the enemy space marines? It seems a bit much for them to withstand a close range shot from a shotgun.
That's my shitty aim. Green shotgun and rifle marines, who already have more health than the pistol-wielding versions, will not withstand a point-blank shotgun attack. The blue ones (NCOs) may not be able to, either, with luck.
My mod's called Lizard Squad ;)
THANK YOU, that bugged me all day at work!
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Have you gotten a sound effect for the notes yet? I have a sound effect you may be able to use, but not sure how I'm going to get it to you besides attaching it.
Project Shadowcat

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Have you gotten a sound effect for the notes yet? I have a sound effect you may be able to use, but not sure how I'm going to get it to you besides attaching it.
I've not put any work into the game the past few days. If you have something, do PM me, thank you!
Project Shadowcat

Re: [HALP] There's Something About Tails

Those who don't know what's going on, life has not been kind to me for quite some time. I do not think I can complete this project in any sane timeframe, especially when I feel a need to (more or less) move on. I don't want to abandon this project by any means, but I feel like I must shift to a supervisor/writer/concept artist role.

To accept anyone who's willing to help, I think I am going to have to build a new message board. Collaborating with interested parties is going to require a hell of a lot more than one thread. If there is enough interest, I will get started on something. I would also appreciate suggestions for a decent, free "throwaway" forum to use for strictly this purpose.
Rayd3r

Post by Rayd3r »

I hope to see the demo soon, please don't let this project go. I really hope some of you guys can help him with this, I've been wanting to get my hands on it for years. I would be glad to offer some kind of assistance, however my modding skills aren't quite up to PAR just yet.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Need weapons, AI testing, or the like? It's been a while since I wanted to sign up to help a project but for once... I want to see what needs to be done and just do it.

I am not about to let this dream be a dream.
Project Shadowcat

I just kind of need... everything. But especially artwork and sprites. I want to release all of the resources I DO have semi-publicly and let others work on them under my basic supervision. I kind of want people to surprise me. I will still try to write and script, and I will provide concept art and basic maps to work with.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Good grief, I didn't think this game was still in production! I've read a bit of the comic, it was a little crazy, but interesting all the same, and the game looked intriguing to me.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

PDF may be busy with getting life together but if a forum can be set up for use I'm in. I could use learning some new tools to produce work anyway.
Project Shadowcat

Mmmmmmm..... bump.
I am writing up a document on the release of the "Forever unstable" edition which will include play notes and an extensive credits directory. I'll have a download up on my website in a few hours.

Upload complete. Thank you for using ComStar.
https://prdarkfox.com/tsatgame/tsat.zip
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Unstable] There's Something About Tails

Post by Captain J »

Sorry about the IRL situations you had to go through. And about the game breaking bug, there might have been a better way to fix it through asking for modding help or support in general. It did take a decade plus 6 years but man, feels good to see that the project's finally seeing some light.

I played it and went through every single map available. Feels very new also impressive, especially how the baddies move and act against the player! Considering the year it was worked on, that's one good stuff. I feel like an archaeologist for strolling around the maps, reading the story even. It's massive, but could've been super-massive. All in all, you've done a great job.
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

There's quite a lot of potential here. I do appreciate the sort of Strife approach it was trying to take. If you're still open to making this a collaborative work, I might be able to chip in a bit.
Project Shadowcat

Thank you both for your feedback. I was really wondering if anyone was even going to care.

So the main thing that made me stop was that I needed a LOT of art. There's still so many missing characters, so many missing baddies (I wanted to add some badniks so it's not just human marines), and I wanted to replace all of the Freedoom stuff, too. I did not have the undying will or streamlined process that Amuscaria has to just crap out so many sprites in one go like he can. The dude's a machine. And he went to med school. What did I do? I got depression.
The bulk of the work probably stopped around when Sodaholic's leak actually happened around 2011 I don't remember when. My mood for the project just died around then. With the rise of the Boomer Shooter era also coming along, frankly, I wasn't sure how I was ever going to "compete" for any sort of attention. So, it just rested on my hard drive, doing nothing.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”