Game compatibility

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Daniel

Game compatibility

Post by Daniel »

Of course this is very hard to do, but the compatibility of ZDoom and the other Doom Engine games are very good. Don't BFG me because I said that:

COMPATIBILITY WITH KEN SILVERMAN'S BUILD ENGINE GAMES!!!!

The graphics, music and sound are very friendly with Doom Engine, but the map format and sector specials would be the hardest (and EVIL) part of the work. Imagine the games that will have a compatibility with ZDoom:

Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Outlaws, Blood, Witchaven 1 and 2...

It's only a suggestion. I know it is far to be released, but it isn't impossible... maybe in ZDoom 9.0 523a....
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Randy himself said that the internal handling of the engine is far too different for any chance to do this. It will probably never happen.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It's just a dream... but the Build Engine is not so far from the Doom engine.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Far enough to make it problematic.
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

The entire problem with this feature being implemented is contained in the first post. ZDoom uses the Doom engine, these games use the Build engine. AFAIK they don't even use the same file types (wad files) so that would be a big problem. If my memory serves the Build engine was baed heavily off the Doom engine, but was enhanced enough that it could not be easily implemented into modern source ports (ZDoom as an example).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem is more that the non-rendering code is completely different. THe file types are not an issue and ZDoom can even read Build maps. But you can't simply merge the game physics code together and hope that it all works.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

@HobbsTiger1: All true, but (IIRC) Zdoom can already load Build levels (at least Duke ones and maybe Blood I think) and let you look around. Nothing more than that works, and that's a long, long way from supporting the games, but it's interesting none the less.

[edit]Graf beat me to some of that[/edit]

alien3456

Post by alien3456 »

As far as I know, this is called ZDoom, not ZBuild. Or ZOneStopSourcePort... :roll:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

There are always JonoF's Duke and Shadow Warrior ports. As for Blood, it can be run through a modern OS, but it takes a bit of work.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

HobbsTiger1 wrote:If my memory serves the Build engine was baed heavily off the Doom engine, but was enhanced
Build is not based on Doom at all, unless you consider a phone call between John Carmack and Ken Silverman where Carmack suggested Silverman use sectors to be enough to establish a connection between the two engines. Up until then, the Build engine used raycasting like the Wolfenstein and Ken's Labyrinth engines.
David Ferstat

Re: Game compatibility

Post by David Ferstat »

Daniel wrote:... Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Outlaws, Blood, Witchaven 1 and 2...
I'm sorry, but to the best of my knowledge LucasArts' Outlaws used an in-house engine. Unless, of course, you're talking about another game, but I don't know any other FPS of about the same era called Outlaws. :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I just want a port for Exhumed/Powerslave :). It won't work properly even with DosBox.
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

@Randy, thats the last time I listen to Surbs for anything. He told me Duke and Blood were based off of Doom, but had extra features (Surbs is my best friend and, well, big retro gamer).

Sorry for the misinformation, and forgive me if I don't show up for a while, I do belive you get arrested for domestic disturbance :wink:
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

NiGHTMARE wrote:I just want a port for Exhumed/Powerslave :). It won't work properly even with DosBox.
A quick shot, have you tried using NTFS4DOS? That might get you a native DOS environment in which to run it, with some clever use of modded 98 boot disks and the right DOS drivers.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”