[SOLVED]Brightmaps GLDEF help??

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[SOLVED]Brightmaps GLDEF help??

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Hey guys,
so I was trying to figure out brightmaps but in the wiki it says

"All brightmap images in the brightmaps/auto directory are automatically assigned to the same-named texture. This removes the need to do individual assignments for those brightmaps."

so what do i need to do inside the mod GLDEFS if i have brightmaps/auto in there??

--SOLUTION--
Blue Shadow wrote:Hmm... GZDoom 4.7.x seems to fail to detect the brightmaps if they're placed in brightmaps/auto, which is something 4.6.1 had no trouble with, but it can detect them if they're placed in materials/brightmaps/auto (<--- this is a new auto path that was introduced at a later point).
Last edited by Dan_The_Noob on Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
22alpha22

Re: Brightmaps GLDEF help??

Post by 22alpha22 »

If you keep all your brightmapped images named exactly the same as the images they are supposed to be mapped to and put then in the brightmaps/auto folder, then you will not need to use GLDEFS at all for defining your brightmaps.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

oh. it doesn't work then. where do i find the correct texture names? i was using the names of the original textures from the doom2 iwad
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Have a look at how DrVenom8 did brightmaps for DOOM/2
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Kappes Buur wrote:Have a look at how DrVenom8 did brightmaps for DOOM/2
they are just using the standard format, i'm trying to get it to work with the brightmaps/auto setup but i don't know what i need to define at all to make them work with doom2 iwad.

I'm starting to think the actual name for the textures ingame is different to the texture filenames from doom2.wad
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you are talking about the names of the individual patches in Doom2.wad, then that will not work. You need to use the texture names as defined in the texture1 lump.

e.g. use the texture name SHAWN2 not the name of the patch in that texture AG128_1. I know that SHAWN2 doesn't need a brightmap, but that's one I can remember off the top of my head. :P
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Enjay wrote:If you are talking about the names of the individual patches in Doom2.wad, then that will not work. You need to use the texture names as defined in the texture1 lump.
oh. i will have to look for that lump. then i will have to figure out every textures name by eye :lol:

ok for situations like LITEBLU4 where there are 3 with the same name, do i just put the same name for all 3???
LITEBLU4 is part of the blue wall light frame (small blue rectangles stacked verticle)
--EDIT--
nvm, i figured out i just need to do that texture as the whole texture from looking at the other brightmaps wad.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Easiest way to get all the names might be to open doom2.wad in Slade, click on the TEXTURE1 lump, hit the Edit Textures button and then just scroll through the list of textures. That will let you see all the texture names (and let you see which patches are used inside the textures).

If you are not sure how textures are set up, this might help: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/TEXTURE1_and_TEXTURE2
The introductory paragraphs probably say all you need to know for your project.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

I think i managed to do them all now.
how do I deal with FLATs in the brightmaps/auto format?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm not sure about the auto format, but flats should be simpler because their graphics lump names are the names that you actually use in the map (there is no TEXTURE1 lump equivalent for flats). So I'll guess that you just name them using the graphics lump names.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Enjay wrote:I'm not sure about the auto format, but flats should be simpler because their graphics lump names are the names that you actually use in the map (there is no TEXTURE1 lump equivalent for flats). So I'll guess that you just name them using the graphics lump names.
OH that makes sense, because flats can have glows etc already huh.

--EDIT--
ok it's not working, as far as i can tell. (unless DarkDoomZ removes brightmaps on walls/floors)
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

still having issues getting this to work, i feel like i'm missing a step maybe?

the brightmaps are just adding brightmaps for doom2.wad
in a dark room, none of the floors or walls are visible.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

We need something to actually examine. Just saying "it's not working" doesn't help us help you.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Blue Shadow wrote:We need something to actually examine. Just saying "it's not working" doesn't help us help you.
it's literally just brightmap PNG files in a .pk3 in the folder structure of brightmaps/auto
which are named to match the doom2.wad textures ( i corrected them to the texture1 lump thing etc )
according to the wiki it should just auto-allocate matching textures/flats

the attached is just the flats (just trying to get them working first)
Attachments
DTNbrightmaps.pk3
(60.59 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Hmm... GZDoom 4.7.x seems to fail to detect the brightmaps if they're placed in brightmaps/auto, which is something 4.6.1 had no trouble with, but it can detect them if they're placed in materials/brightmaps/auto (<--- this is a new auto path that was introduced at a later point).

Return to “Scripting”