Ante Mortem Episode 1

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Snaxalotl
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Ante Mortem Episode 1

Post by Snaxalotl »

After 2 years of development, episode 1 of Ante Mortem had finally arrived...

GAMEPLAY

Fast paced and challenging with a buildup to slaughter. Supercharge's arsenal and slightly reduced enemy health prevents any grind as you tear your way through massive hordes of demons. Ultra Violence does not hold back so avoid it unless you are very skilled or for a second playthrough, Other difficulties are supported and still provide a good challenge. All 5 maps are fairly large so expect this first episode to take 2-4 hours to complete.

UV - Intended for masochists that want to push their limits, Situational awareness and patience are key. Every mistake will be punished and the legions of hell will give no mercy. (This is not the standard difficulty)
HMP- The standard difficulty, not easy by any means but is recommended for most players. Provides a good challenge without the required precision of UV. 
HNTR- Much more forgiving than HMP or UV, still not easy but is a good choice for those who struggle with tough maps.
ITYTD- Same as HNTR with extra ammo and less damage, good for a casual playthrough.

I recommend HMP for most players, don't force yourself to play UV... It doesn't back.

Requires GZDoom 4.7.1 or newer
Freelook and jumping are required, crouching is only required for secrets.

CREDITS

@Tango For the wonderful gameplay mod supercharge.
@ukiro For the beautiful texture pack OTEX.
@Biodegradable For the great trailer.
Everyone That helped me playtest along the way. Biodegradable, Clippy, azerty, Terminus, Bridgeburner56, and sandwedge in no particular order. Thank you all so much for your advice and assistance!

Music is from the Plutonia midi pack and Sunder, The title screen music is from HellStorm Archon's ambient music pack.

PERFORMANCE AND THE REQUIRED DYNAMIC LIGHTING

Dynamic lights are essential as they are the main way the maps' lighting is implemented, turning them off will leave the levels looking very dark and dull. Despite my best efforts to optimize these maps do require a decent rig compared to most doom maps. This is due to the large size and the many 3d floors / dynamic lights at work. If you are experiencing fps issues on the larger maps trying turning off texture filtering, and lowering the "Max VFX" Setting in the supercharge options (50 or 100 are both acceptable. Higher values greatly impact performance with the large quantities of gore decals and bullet casings.

BUGS

Nothing major unless I somehow missed something, there are probably a few misaligned textures hiding somewhere.

DOWNLOAD

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lhwER9 ... oEWnz/view Make Sure you have those dynamic lights on!

I hope you all enjoy playing this as much as I did making it! -Kyra
Last edited by Snaxalotl on Wed May 25, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chopkinsca

Re: Ante Mortem (WIP)

Post by chopkinsca »

I don't play Doom these days, but those screens look fantastic.
Snaxalotl

Re: Ante Mortem Episode 1

Post by Snaxalotl »

Bumping this thread as episode 1 has finally been released :D
Rudiarius

Post by Rudiarius »

Bro, these maps are beautiful. Easily one of if not the best looking map set I've ever played. I'm also strangely in love with the death sound of the soldiers. Music is fantastic as well!
My one (1) nitpicky gripe I guess would be that the super shotgun doesn't sound very beefy.
I just have one question, when can we expect more? :wub:
Snaxalotl

Post by Snaxalotl »

Rudiarius wrote:Bro, these maps are beautiful. Easily one of if not the best looking map set I've ever played. I'm also strangely in love with the death sound of the soldiers. Music is fantastic as well!
My one (1) nitpicky gripe I guess would be that the super shotgun doesn't sound very beefy.
I just have one question, when can we expect more? :wub:
Thanks for the huge compliment! As for when more will drop, I tend to release a new map every few months but it really varies. Expect at least 2 months before episode 2 has a released map.

Return to “Levels”