Universal Ambience 1.7 - Dynamic map sounds (not music)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
McTed

Universal Ambience 1.7 - Dynamic map sounds (not music)

Post by McTed »

Description + Download
Spoiler:
Credits
Spoiler:
Editing permissions
Spoiler:
Last edited by McTed on Sun May 22, 2022 7:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
Skrell

Re: Universal Ambience - Dynamic audio ambience (not music)

Post by Skrell »

LOVE IT!!! Keep it up!
McTed

Post by McTed »

Skrell wrote:LOVE IT!!! Keep it up!
Good to hear!

And here's an update and some changelogs
1.3 Update: Sound volumes tweaked, can customise flat volumes etc via menu

1.6 Update: Sound volumes tweaked, Decorations have been fixed and rewritten. Flats and decorations have been optimised - with huge help from Agent Ash!
- The first decoration compatibility has been made! (is for D64ifier) - https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-d64ifier

1.7 Small update: Decoration volume settings, radiation sounds improved (with choices available via editing "sndinfo" with an archive manager), new in progress compatability patch for Consolation prize D64 - viewtopic.php?t=55298
Last edited by McTed on Sun May 22, 2022 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

McTed wrote:The first decoration compatibility has been made! (is for D64ifier)
What the what the?!?! I literally just came here to send you a message asking if I could adapt this mod for inclusion IN The D64ifier! :laff:
Which would you prefer? Inclusion? Or just being listed in the readme as a recommended mod to run alongside it?
McTed

Post by McTed »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:
McTed wrote:The first decoration compatibility has been made! (is for D64ifier)
What the what the?!?! I literally just came here to send you a message asking if I could adapt this mod for inclusion IN The D64ifier! :laff:
Which would you prefer? Inclusion? Or just being listed in the readme as a recommended mod to run alongside it?
Hahaha :)

I think it would be best as a recommended addon to be easier to update.
I don't know how game/mod relations work in moddb, if possible I could include a tag for it to show on the D64ifier mod page, if that's cool with you.
Bob Beaky
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Universal Ambience 1.6 - Dynamic map sounds (not music)

Post by Bob Beaky »

This is fantastic. Sometimes it's nice to play without music but Doom aural ambience is pretty lacking. This is a great solution. Thanks for sharing. :)
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

McTed wrote:I think it would be best as a recommended addon to be easier to update.
That makes sense. Perhaps if/when you get to a point where the updates have tapered off and you feel like the mod is pretty complete, then we can revisit the idea of me incorporating it?

I also am not very familiar with those things. I've used ModDB casually for years but only started using it as an uploader recently.
McTed

Post by McTed »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:That makes sense. Perhaps if/when you get to a point where the updates have tapered off and you feel like the mod is pretty complete, then we can revisit the idea of me incorporating it?

I also am not very familiar with those things. I've used ModDB casually for years but only started using it as an uploader recently.
We'll see.

And yeah same.
Pm'd you on moddb btw
McTed

Post by McTed »

Bob Beaky wrote:This is fantastic. Sometimes it's nice to play without music but Doom aural ambience is pretty lacking. This is a great solution. Thanks for sharing. :)
Ye I'm thankful to Hey Doomer for idle ambience :) (and this is built on it)
RevanGarcia
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Universal Ambience 1.7 - Dynamic map sounds (not music)

Post by RevanGarcia »

Holy cow, this is really good!
joshisattva
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by joshisattva »

hey guys, there's a bug!
ever since the new gzdoom update this mod has broken certain aspects of maps. namely parts of the architecture that raise or lower upon triggering by moving over their respective triggers
e.g. in e1m4, in the room just before the exit with the yellow keycard side door, when you enter the room and move to the side past the center platform. said platform is supposed to lower, revealing multiple enemies and some rocket ammo boxes. but it doesn't. it just perpetually emits the sound as if it was lowering. this happens across the board on almost every map. it is inconsistent, sometimes it doesn't happen, but most of the time it does
I have tried and tested this to ensure it is 100000% this mod, and it is. I've ran multiple instances across multiple wads with just this mod enabled. this issue only occurs when this mod is being used
SupremeOasis
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SupremeOasis »

Latest GZDoom here with Doom Runner launcher, I use Universal Ambiance on some presets (with a different ini file for each preset) and I've never had this problem in e1m4 (I've just checked now) or other levels. Only one conflict with The Refinery Realm667 map, massive fps drop.
devlman127

Post by devlman127 »

Are you considering making a version for Patch64 (viewtopic.php?t=76856) or does one of the other doom 64 patches work?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”