Cool water and fire shaders from Unreal1 engine.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

RaVeN-05

Cool water and fire shaders from Unreal1 engine.

Post by RaVeN-05 »

As Duke Nukem Forever 2001 Released with source code (and it based on Unreal 1 Engine):
Would it possible to back port that awesome unreal 1 water warping and fire shaders.
Always wanted to see them on doom engine games =)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Cool water and fire shaders from Unreal1 engine.

Post by Rachael »

Getting certain Unreal 1 texture effects in the Doom engine would require some features the engine does not currently have, i.e. persistently changing and procedural textures.

Things like water warping are already possible, however, with the use of custom shaders.
Gez

Post by Gez »

There are at least two good reasons why this is not a feature suggestion for the engine.

The first is that such effects are to be implemented on a mod's side. There's no reason to add gratuitous shaders to the vanilla games.

The second is that the legality of leaked code is questionable, and it'd be problematic for GZDoom to burden itself with such things in its core distribution.
Rachael wrote:Getting certain Unreal 1 texture effects in the Doom engine would require some features the engine does not currently have, i.e. persistently changing and procedural textures.
Oh yes, the first use of this would be replicating the PSX Doom/Doom 64 firesky. Much more on-point than replicating some Duke Nukem Fornever effect.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote: in the Doom engine would require some features the engine does not currently have, i.e. persistently changing and procedural textures.
This is the least of the problems. Raze already has a few of these, like the fire texture in Blood. All it boils down to is to invalidate the hardware texture each time it is updated.

All that said, the DNF2001 code is off limits for cherry picking so this gets closed now.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Agreed. If this were doable, it'd be better as its own thing rather than illegally copying closed-source middleware.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”