Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New 1.4A Version!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cumberdale Figgins

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3A Version)

Post by Cumberdale Figgins »

Any updates on development progress? The current build is an absolute blast to play through and I even forced my wife to play through it.
If Cult of Despair was released rn pretty sure it would tank all steam sales, this mod deserves my disk space more than Elden ring.
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Agreed, I still check this thread almost daily.
Bezhael

Post by Bezhael »

I cannot find the Silver Ore in the Lonely Den. I cleared it of all the monsters but I found no sign of it anywhere. Did I just break the mod somehow?
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Cumberdale Figgins wrote:Any updates on development progress? The current build is an absolute blast to play through and I even forced my wife to play through it.
If Cult of Despair was released rn pretty sure it would tank all steam sales, this mod deserves my disk space more than Elden ring.
I will release a new build this week (probably in 2-3 days!), I'm just checking that everything works as expected since there are a huge amount of scripts in each level! :D
Heh, I am very flattered to hear that, I hope you enjoy with everything that this new version is going to show, especially for the fixes, new levels and more polished details! The wait will be worth!
Bezhael wrote:I cannot find the Silver Ore in the Lonely Den. I cleared it of all the monsters but I found no sign of it anywhere. Did I just break the mod somehow?
The Silver Ore is located in the next room after defeating the boss, destroy this pot to find it:
Spoiler:
Cumberdale Figgins

Post by Cumberdale Figgins »

Hype.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Finally the day has come, a new version of Cult of Despair! Because version 1.4 was private for a week and needed feedback, I have been working already in the 1.4A, and this is the result with the huge changelog!

I hope you enjoy all the changes and improvements that I have brought, it has been a long journey (more than a year without updating, wow) but I feel that it has been worth it, any questions or suggestions let me know and I will take them into account.
Good luck hunting down those cultists and monsters!

Version 1.4

-New levels: Wasteland Tunnels, Taedmorden Village, Greyrock Prison and Desert Crypt
-Revamped completely the Direwood Castle with a bigger quality design!
-Added a new subquest in the Goldeanleaf Graveyard
-The third Heretic Gate is finished (found in the Wasteland)
-Gloomy Prison, Hidden Basement, Abandoned Fort, Sewers, Black Passage and Cultist Fortress have more details and new textures
-Undead Warriors show the green axe and the ghost versions show the red one in their sprites (only a visual change)
-Removed Gargoyles and normal Golems from Rocky Pathway, now Ettin Commanders and Afrit Leaders appear around that area
-Replaced all Gargoyles by Poison Gargoyles in the Swamp Temple
-Replaced a few Undead Warrior Ghosts by the normal variant in the Crossbone Graveyard (it was a bit brutal with so many red axes)
-Increased the health of some minor enemies slightly (Poison Gargoyles, Roaches and Afrit Leaders)
-Replaced the music of the Hidden Basement and Black Passage by Heretic remixes
-Lime Slimes explode into jelly chunks upon death (instead of a simple white pixel)
-You can kill crows now, wow!
-Added a few more ambient sounds and diverse textures
-New allied creatures can appear from the Friendly Familiar Egg: Lava Golem, Wendigo and Tarantula
-Fixed a minor issue where the Friendly Familiar Egg cost four Golden Tokens but actually it should be three
-Fixed a bug where the Hell Smith boss could get stuck in one of those fire pillars during the battle
-Added Spirit Tokens, those mysterious items can make to use your weapon twice as fast for 5 seconds after picking up. They cannot be stored in your inventory.
-Added an Unmaoi Statue to warn you about buying a few Purple Moss Clumps before entering the Swamp Temple
-Increased the light of some areas of the Hidden Basement and Black Passage slightly
-Swamp Stalker Leaders uses the correct sprites now (they used the ice variant in WoC for some reason). They also appear in the Abandoned Fort and the Sewers.
-Zombie Fodders have new sprites to differentiate them from the necromancer's allied zombies
-Monsters during the Hell Smith battle and in the Heretic Gates never fight each other now
-A few more villagers walk around the towns now, you can also hit them without consequences to add some realism
-The Banishment Device is no longer replaced, now it is a separated item called Fireball Device with its own sprites
-New sprites for the guards in towns

Version 1.4A

-Buffed all pet stats from the Friendly Familiar Egg item
-Fixed some minor bugs (thanks to Suporma for the reports!)
-Holes in the ground emit blue sparks so that the player can see the caves
-lowered the damage of the Azazel Brothers' projectiles
-lowered the damage of the Dark Patriarchs' projectiles
-Improved the english grammar of various texts in the game (thanks to WhamNinjaMolehill for the feedback!)

DOWNLOAD 1.4A VERSION:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MADLWU ... sp=sharing

Remember: You need load woc_v3a.pk3 first before my mod, gore mods like "Bloody Simple Blood" or "Nashgore" are compatible
Nightgaunt

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New 1.4A Versio

Post by Nightgaunt »

I will still wait for the final release, this looks too good to get it spoiled!!!
Burtie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Burtie »

Hi I downloaded the most recent version of this mod but at the very beginning of the game my character is completely frozen. I can still do other things like crouch and attack but for some reason I can't move off the bed. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Burtie wrote:Hi I downloaded the most recent version of this mod but at the very beginning of the game my character is completely frozen. I can still do other things like crouch and attack but for some reason I can't move off the bed. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
That is really weird, have you checked your action keys in the customize controls section? if it still doesn't work try to download a more recent gzdoom version, I use 4.7.1 at the moment.
Burtie

Post by Burtie »

Just updated to 4.8 and I still have the same problem. Normal Hexen works fine for me too so I don't think it's something to do with the way I've customized my controls.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Burtie wrote:Just updated to 4.8 and I still have the same problem. Normal Hexen works fine for me too so I don't think it's something to do with the way I've customized my controls.
Try playing wrath of cronos without my campaign to check if the problem persists then, I had never heard of a player with this kind of issue, no idea what could be making you unable to move :?
Burtie

Post by Burtie »

Yup, it's a problem on my end. I tried Hexen with just Wrath of Cronos and had the same issue, thanks for your help.
Nightgaunt

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New 1.4A Version!)

Post by Nightgaunt »

Hey Exeor, any new progress to show? How far from the final release?

I still check this thread daily!
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Nightgaunt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:19 pm Hey Exeor, any new progress to show? How far from the final release?

I still check this thread daily!
Z0k is already designing the next area called Ebony Forest, you will get access to this place after getting the Emerald Key in a wasteland cave, most of those screenshots are still WIP and look better ingame than in the editor, but you can get an idea about it :P

More images:
https://imgur.com/a/Zzk0ldW

I haven't done much these months, except minor details, like mist forming in the waterfalls and the fact that you can see the back of the Direwood Castle when you're in the swamp (which geographically makes sense and helps the overworld feel more connected)

https://gyazo.com/51e7cbde02e39fb603fed1db2f778999

Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Cool stuff as usual.
i wonder if Thetis will ever update the WoC mod too.

Return to “Levels”