Enhanced E1 - 30th anniversary bump 21/01

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wran

Enhanced E1 - 30th anniversary bump 21/01

Post by wran »

I was messing around with dynamic lighting in E1M1 as a way to learn the basics of Ultimate Doom Builder and I was pleased enough with the results (and inspired by similar projects of this nature) that I ended up doing Episode 1 in it's entirety. I figured I might as well throw it on here in case anyone else is interested in having a look. I've since learnt to do other things like 3D floors, sloped surfaces and so forth, and threw all that stuff at the wad in the hope that something might stick. Also, Club Doom is in there for some reason.

With PBR materials, screenshots courtesy of BerserkerNoir. Grab the Plastic Shaders mod here, or the (currently WIP) 2K PBR materials pack demo by Reinchard here.

Video by RaZZoR showcasing more PBR goodness and some other stuff.

- Uses the Ultimate Doom iwad. Make sure "Lights" is ticked in the GZDoom startup menu and dynamic lights are enabled in display options.

- A flashlight mod is pretty much essential. (Try this cool new one here by generic name guy!) This thing is dark, despite my best efforts to mitigate that by throwing goddamn floor lamps everywhere.

- The Doom PS1 soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges is also highly recommended.

- Should work with most mods, although ones that have their own custom lighting system (like Brutal Doom) may cause conflicts and cause sprites to appear incorrectly lit. At least I think that's what's going on, I dunno.

- Should run fine on most PCs. Source: my laptop, which is a POS.

- I may look at doing the other 3 episodes if this thing garners any interest. I'm well aware it's not the most original of ideas :)

- Re: update 1.6D, I've thrown some Club Doom credits into a readme but I'll just reiterate here - if I've omitted anyone or there's some other issue please let me know and I'll rectify it ASAP.

DOWNLOAD ENHANCED E1 HERE
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gbr5i6pw ... c.wad/file
Last edited by wran on Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:23 pm, edited 30 times in total.
wran

Re: Enhanced E1 (Dynamic lighting for Episode 1) - update 24

Post by wran »

new update

- placed lights over the waste pit in the E1M3 opening area (whoops)

- tidied up and tweaked some of the light placements

- other minor stuff

updated link in the OP
wran

Re: Enhanced E1 (Dynamic lighting, swimmable) - update 30/04

Post by wran »

New update:

- brightened up a few areas

- toxic nukage waste pits are now swimmable, so you can go for a paddle :)

- various other tweaks/improvements

updated link in OP, any comments/suggestions/criticisms are welcome.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

I will give this a try, I see potential paired with PBR Materials.
wran

Post by wran »

cool! let me know what you think.

new update...soonish.
BerserkerNoir

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Loved your work dude!

Just one question, how did you convert the maps format to place Dynamic Lights in them?
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

That was really fun! Thanks for making that! I hope you build a cool E1/Doom1 upgrade because that was fantastic.
wran

Post by wran »

BerserkerNoir wrote:Loved your work dude!
Just one question, how did you convert the maps format to place Dynamic Lights in them?
thanks, nice screenshots! I used zwadconv(think that's right?) to convert the Doom maps into Hexen format, and then Builder to get them to UDMF. Notepad++ for converting to a pwad, and Slade to clear out all the unwanted stuff. I really can't stress enough that I had no idea what the hell I was doing throughout most of this however, so for anything I did horribly wrong, blame Google :)
kalensar wrote:That was really fun! Thanks for making that! I hope you build a cool E1/Doom1 upgrade because that was fantastic.
Thanks man! focusing on E1 for now, but I really enjoy doing this kind of thing.
wran

Re: Enhanced E1 (Dynamic lighting, 3D floors etc) - update 0

Post by wran »

another update:

- added some 3d floors and also some spiffy windows

- fixed a minor geometry bug in E1M9 that happened as a result of my endless meddling :)

- other small tweaks

link in op, all feedback very gratefully recieved.
wran

Post by wran »

update:

- added some sloped surfaces to spice things up a bit

- a bit of spit n polish

updated link in OP along with the description, which is an absolutely riveting read now. There's also a stupendous new screenshot of some stairs. Anyway, this will be the last update for a wee while, barring anything gamebreaking and/or incredibly embarrassing.
Metrasher

Post by Metrasher »

I love it! Love it to a point where playing vanilla map feels simple and plain. I'd love to play all episodes in this style of maps.
I hope you have the interest in doing such a work. Never felt that level of modenity in Doom until now. It's incredible.

Thanks for your work. I'll keep watching, waiting for updates.
wran

Post by wran »

cheers!!

Another update is imminent (can't seem to stop fiddling with this thing lol) but if you're looking for something similar I recommend Hey Doomer's Relighting Doom mod viewtopic.php?f=43&t=74412 and HontE Remastered https://www.moddb.com/mods/honte-remastered, both incredible projects that far outstrip my amateur efforts - the HontE maps in particular were a huge source of inspiration.
wran

Re: Enhanced E1 (Dynamic lighting, 3D floors etc) - update 1

Post by wran »

new update:

- all sector-based lighting has been ditched - the maps are now 100% dynamically lit

- fixed some minor texture issues

- various tweaks and whatnot

Op updated. Also as an aside: how amazingly awesome is Ultimate Doom Builder, holy shit.
BerserkerNoir

Post by BerserkerNoir »

wran wrote:cheers!!

Another update is imminent (can't seem to stop fiddling with this thing lol) but if you're looking for something similar I recommend Hey Doomer's Relighting Doom mod viewtopic.php?f=43&t=74412 and HontE Remastered https://www.moddb.com/mods/honte-remastered, both incredible projects that far outstrip my amateur efforts - the HontE maps in particular were a huge source of inspiration.
Absolutely!!
I love those projects, but unlike them this project of yours isnt that heavy on performance in comparison.
Thanks for the Hard Work!
wran

Re: Enhanced E1 (Dynamic lighting, 3D floors etc) - update 1

Post by wran »

small update:

- brightened up E1M4 somewhat, that shit was just too dark

- made a switch more visible in E1M5

EDIT: Just posted 1.5b, that refines the lighting in several areas.
BerserkerNoir wrote: I love those projects, but unlike them this project of yours isnt that heavy on performance in comparison.
Ha, you can thank my hamster powered PC for that :p

Return to “Levels”