[p33] Reelism 2 - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [p25] Reelism 2 - Version 1.1g Released

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: More Feedback, and also a Question
sandwedge
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sandwedge »

Hey there, great to see you're releasing updates so quickly! I did another episode of this because I was having a lot of fun.

I was still playing version 1.0 since I recorded this a few days ago. While I generally enjoyed everything, figured I would give you a bit of constructive criticism since it might be helpful. Of course my opinions aren't objective so what I dislike might be enjoyable for others, but food for thought.

Generally I find Realism 64 to be a really annoying mod. Yes I know it's a funny thing that changes up strategy and everything, but the fog is so thick it's way worse than the N64 and it can turn the stage into a slog, especially if you get multiple rounds. It means you have to stay away from large areas so I like the strategic part, but I would recommend just increase the distance of visibility a little so it's not completely obnoxious and a bit more fun.

The tank is great and everything but it can also be completely boring since you basically don't have to worry about anything. Maybe having some limitation with health or ammo or something could make that more interesting, though I do understand the strategy is just to clear as many monsters as you can in that time.

Some of the maps I just don't find enjoyable. The island map spawns sooo many enemies it just feels incredibly spammy, and you're not gonna kill many of them even if you get a tank every round. I guess people could enjoy that endless horde feeling but I didn't enjoy it. Also maps like "a bridge too far" have a fun gimmick for sure but after that it feels very one dimensional, and there's really not much space to do anything. I don't know what you could do, maybe add a lower cat walk type area for some more variation and elevation?

I shot the roulette revolver and it spawned a car which instakilled me as I was moving forward at the time. Didn't even know it shot cars before that lol. I love the projectile but was it intended to clip the player like that if they are running forward? Was quite a crappy death to have on the final boss of an endurance run.

I love the hub map, it's very detailed and has lots going on, but I found it sometimes to feel like a drag having to run around to stuff I wanted in such a big area. Perhaps if there was some way to have to find stuff the first time, and then have easier quicker access after?

That's everything I could think of, again for the most part loving the mod just felt there might be a couple things to adjust. Some of these may have even been fixed since I last played it. Anyway congrats on such a great release and good luck in continuing to polish it!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The Steam Deck? Yeah, it runs Doom Reelism 2.

(never said I'd be good at it... :P )

Don't ask me how I got it running just yet; I'm still figuring out ways to make it less of an absolute war-crime to set up.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:The Steam Deck? Yeah, it runs Doom Reelism 2.
... ...
Don't ask me how I got it running just yet; I'm still figuring out ways to make it less of an absolute war-crime to set up.
Apparently I have just found out today that the SteamDeck is not using Debian as I originally thought; it is using Arch. Which means that GZDoom should be easily accessible through pacman since GZDoom is available on the AUR. (afaik ... I don't know how pacman and AUR actually works)

I despise pacman since it has an absolutely unintuitive syntax that you have to remember - but to install packages through pacman it's just pacman -S <package name>. More here: https://itsfoss.com/pacman-command/

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong - using the AUR is done via Paru - which has to be installed - https://github.com/Morganamilo/paru
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

sandwedge wrote:I shot the roulette revolver and it spawned a car which instakilled me as I was moving forward at the time. Didn't even know it shot cars before that lol. I love the projectile but was it intended to clip the player like that if they are running forward? Was quite a crappy death to have on the final boss of an endurance run.
Since i love to use random revolver so much, i've got some tips to tell you so you can use it with less frustration:

- First, always use this gun in large, open places with no obstacles because... You know what happened; it shoots out explosives like rocket and a car.

- Always empty the shots if you get either a dud or silly projectiles. As far as i know, it saves the current shots despite switching into other weapon.

- If you happen to get OP shots like BFG ball, be sure to save them for a good use. Don't waste. Waste them on a large crowd if possible.

- So about the car, basically it's like a projectile. It keeps going forward and explodes when hits something solid. A major reason why you should use this gun in open places because the size is huge it hits wrong props once being spawned.

It's so random it's so good.
eltiolavara9

Post by eltiolavara9 »

the bfg balls and cars absolutely MELT trough bosses, too
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

This new Reelism mod is going to be amazing!

But check out this add-on, featuring the ghosts from Pac-Man!
https://mobile.twitter.com/nocontxtpacm ... 6443227151
Panzermann11
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Spoiler:
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
BigBoy69

Post by BigBoy69 »

For some reason the Cars on gutrot just do not want to render, and neither does the tank. any ideas what I can do to fix this?
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

Back again with some actual bug reports this time.

First, sometimes if you kill Assault Troopers as they're flying, the sound of their jetpack still plays; although I don't remember if that happens when you gib them or if you launch them with, say, the baseball bat.

Also...
Spoiler:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

BigBoy69 wrote:For some reason the Cars on gutrot just do not want to render, and neither does the tank. any ideas what I can do to fix this?
Which renderer are you using, and what is your video hardware?
BigBoy69

Post by BigBoy69 »

wildweasel wrote:
BigBoy69 wrote:For some reason the Cars on gutrot just do not want to render, and neither does the tank. any ideas what I can do to fix this?
Which renderer are you using, and what is your video hardware?
Well, I'm Not sure what exactly caused the problem in the first place. I tried OpenGL and Vulkan on my RX-580, but either way the cars would come out either Invisible, completely flat, or stretched and torn nonsensically (with a rare normal car). However, finally trying a 100% completely fresh GZdoom install in a new location with Vulkan resulted in things rendering properly. It may have been a problem with a file conflict in where most of my doom stuff has been stored, or some other weird minor fault in my system, since overwriting what was in my old gzdoom location still results in rendering errors.

I've got a way to play normally, but if this looks familiar, I've at least got this screenshot of it. (Apologies for the mid damage screen, but this is the one that got taken.)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

For cars, shoot r_drawvoxels 1 into the console.
For the tank, I dunno. It's just a standard 3D model.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I've just managed to provoke this VM abort:

by attempting to use the Social Distancer near Dog Pope while I had bees on me.

Version 1.1g, downloaded just an hour ago, on GZDoom 4.7.1.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

wildweasel wrote:I've just managed to provoke this VM abort:

by attempting to use the Social Distancer near Dog Pope while I had bees on me.

Version 1.1g, downloaded just an hour ago, on GZDoom 4.7.1.
Thanks, I'm not entirely sure why this happened but I think I've accounted for it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”