What do you use for sprite making?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
DELTAtheDboi005
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

What do you use for sprite making?

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

Hey zdoom, What editing software do you all use to make your sprites?

Personally, I found microsoft powerpoint to be extremely easy to use and very much up to the task, And for image editing I use an editor by the name of lunapic, Which
is also extremely easy to use, But at a cost of it being somewhat slow.

I'd love to hear your replies. :)

-DELTA

link to lunapic:
https://www5.lunapic.com/editor/
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: What do you use for sprite making?

Post by ramon.dexter »

Powerpoint for making sprites? Blasphemy...

Normaly I use Painet.net, GIMP and Aseprite. But for the last two years, I almost completely moved to Aseprite, as it is designated spriting editor. Paid, but worth the money 100%.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Most of my spriting work is still done with my ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro ver 7.04.

I've tried many other programs (including the current Paint Shop Pro) but nothing does things quite how I want. This does worry me because, as time moves on, operating systems change and formats arise (e.g. PSP 7.04's support fot PNGs isn't as good as a modern program, it doesn't support WEBP etc.) I know that, sooner or later, using it will no longer be practical.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

I used paint.net , it has lots of great plugins. I'm still used to shortcuts from this program.

But aseprite is just a new quality, it's paid, but i waste much more money on games that i don't even install.
Drawing animations is much more easy. It has tile drawings function, custom dithering brush. And control of colour pallette is great.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

DELTAtheDboi005 wrote:Personally, I found microsoft powerpoint to be extremely easy to use and very much up to the task

Could you walk us through your process? I'd be curious to see how you create sprites in that, because I'm unable to imagine it myself.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

I use Paint dot Net, as well as a lot of plugins for it, I also use the Waifu2x site to upscale when needed (+ a XBRZ2 filter plugin for Paint dot Net to cut out the borders), and online gif creators to make gifs from the sprites for showcase, I also use SLADE to convert most sprites to palette and then either use SLADE's translation to fix any weird colors or manually change them again with Paint dot Net
DELTAtheDboi005

Well, powerpoint has a vast variety of preset shapes and colours, It's actually EXTREMELY easy, So what I do is that I take a picture on my tablet then transfer said picture
to my computer and open powerpoint, I then insert the picture and trace around it using a shape called "freeform" then, I colour it with whatever preset colour or a custom
colour, if I so wish. Then I use the snipping tool to make a picture, Then I open an online image editor called "Lunapic" I upload the snip to the editor and I select the fill
tool and set it to transparent and set the fuzz to 0, Then I select the "Resize image" or "Scale image" options, What I consider to be an optional step beforehand, Is that I
use the "Autocrop image" feature before I set the size. Then when I'm happy with it, I save the image as and replace the snip and VOILA! I got me a sprite.
Last edited by DELTAtheDboi005 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DELTAtheDboi005 wrote:and VIOLA! I got me a sprite.
Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

DELTAtheDboi005

Thanks for pointing out the spelling error. :)

Also that post just gets me everytime, I never expected someone to take a spelling error and turn it into something where the humble former human
is replaced by a musical instrument... I love it, I absolutely LOVE it. :lol:
Last edited by DELTAtheDboi005 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

DELTAtheDboi005 wrote:Well, powerpoint has a vast variety of preset shapes and colours, It's actually EXTREMELY easy, So what I do is that I take a picture on my tablet then transfer said picture
to my computer and open powerpoint, I then insert the picture and trace around it using a shape called "freeform" then, I colour it with whatever preset colour or a custom
colour, if I so wish. Then I use the snipping tool to make a picture, Then I open an online image editor called "Lunapic" I upload the snip to the editor and I select the fill
tool and set it to transparent and set the fuzz to 0, Then I select the "Resize image" or "Scale image" options, What I consider to be an optional step beforehand, Is that I
use the "Autocrop image" feature before I set the size. Then when I'm happy with it, I save the image as and replace the snip and VOILA! I got me a sprite.
sound not enough extremely easy
DELTAtheDboi005

Heaps of steps to it, But it works mighty fine and the results are plenty good enough.
All you need is a computer, tablet, charger cord, powerpoint, lunapic and a HUGE amount of patience.

It'll be difficult at first but once you get used to it, It's smooth sailing from there.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

DELTAtheDboi005 wrote:Heaps of steps to it, But it works mighty fine and the results are plenty good enough.
All you need is a computer, tablet, charger cord, powerpoint, lunapic and a HUGE amount of patience.

It'll be difficult at first but once you get used to it, It's smooth sailing from there.
You're trolling us. Right?
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

DELTAtheDboi005 wrote:Heaps of steps to it, But it works mighty fine and the results are plenty good enough.

Try using only gimp. It will totally educe number of steps and greatly improve effectivity.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I use Macromedia Fireworks! It's got good support for applying palettes to sprites and animation.

I'm interested to hear why you use Lunapic specifically. Are you using an OS that restricts what you can install? If you like using browser based image editors, you might have fun trying out https://www.photopea.com/. It's a very powerful online image editor based on photoshop.

I'm interested in seeing what you make with powerpoint, it's not something I've ever considered using for sprites.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ramon.dexter wrote:Try using only gimp. It will totally educe number of steps and greatly improve effectivity.
I must admit, I've tried and tried with gimp but its interface just doesn't suit me at all. After several years of keeping it around, I finally uninstalled it last month.

The tools on my machine that I use most frequently right now for graphics work are PSP 7.04 (as mentioned), PSP 2022, and Paint.Net. I also very occasionally still fire up the classic Deluxe Paint in DOSBox.

Return to “Off-Topic”