Trench Foot (New story trailer!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Re: Trench Foot (CountryCide released!)

Post by ZikShadow »

Nobody likes it when devs waste the player's time for nothing, either. It's one of the many reasons I absolutely detest things like mandatory secrets that demand players to hug random unmarked walls for hours on end just to progress.

I personally think there's a way for one to create a fantastic atmosphere without making players waste time running around a cleared area looking for the way to progress, it even can hurt immersion because the tension brought about by the previous sections could wind down and instead be replaced by frustration on where should the player go. It's the fastest way to kill a horror map. CountryCide's map is great architecturally, but I won't deny things like the underground maze being the low point of the mod. The woods are atleast navigable enough when you stop thinking them as large foresty areas but instead as big rooms with a single entrance/exit.

It's even easier after you leave the catacombs, 'cause the devs seals the entrances to the current "room" after you pass through them, so all you have to do is hug the outer "walls" until you find the exit.
Mooney

Post by Mooney »

I had hoped the glowing mushrooms would serve as a good waypoint for the final sections and our in team testing seemed to show this but perhaps I was wrong.

The catacomb maze area may be purposely confusing and disorientating but is relatively short and I had thought the landmarks and scripted events would be enough of a sign you were on the right track till you meet the green lights that take you the rest of the way.

But again maybe I was wrong.

It's all food for thought for the future.

In other news version 1.1 is available with some bug fixes, minor gameplay tweaks and co-op support.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/trench-foot- ... ountrycide
IvanDobrovski

Post by IvanDobrovski »

ZikShadow wrote:Nobody likes it when devs waste the player's time for nothing, either. It's one of the many reasons I absolutely detest things like mandatory secrets that demand players to hug random unmarked walls for hours on end just to progress.

I personally think there's a way for one to create a fantastic atmosphere without making players waste time running around a cleared area looking for the way to progress, it even can hurt immersion because the tension brought about by the previous sections could wind down and instead be replaced by frustration on where should the player go. It's the fastest way to kill a horror map. CountryCide's map is great architecturally, but I won't deny things like the underground maze being the low point of the mod. The woods are atleast navigable enough when you stop thinking them as large foresty areas but instead as big rooms with a single entrance/exit.

It's even easier after you leave the catacombs, 'cause the devs seals the entrances to the current "room" after you pass through them, so all you have to do is hug the outer "walls" until you find the exit.
I disagree, but I won't derail this topic.

I have a clever idea he can solve this problem particularly for the underground section. He can have random noises coming from the directions player should take to lead the player. That'd be less leading by the nose and more like "hey something is going on there you might wanna check it out". Or some rat or something hurrying in a direction in a hallway, then getting killed my a cultist or something. Some sort of event to point towards things. That could help greatly with the atmosphere too.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Or do something like Thief and just have a map of the maze instead of something that could be easily mistaken as atmosphere. Doesn't have to be an automap, it could be a paper map just like the first one you got that still demands players to examine their surroundings for landmarks and the like. I'm not one to push for full blown hint markers or literal arrows pointing where you have to go, but I'm not one for the opposite extreme either, giving players barely anything to work with.
Lagi

Re: Trench Foot (CountryCide v1.1 released!)

Post by Lagi »

glowing mushrooms were great! And i enjoy the catacombs! the feeling of being lost is great.
i play many other maps where i get lost and just quit.

CountryCide is perfect for navigation. I need to figure out where to go. And the levels are brilliant. I am not a fan of automap in doom, but sometimes its a necessary evil.
I wish there were more puzzle with levels - could be in form of secrets - to not harm the horror ambient.

From Thief series I would appreciate option for silent kills (with punch?) and sneaking past monsters.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

i am playing the version with number 2
  • removed punches is a good step, they were never used and take time when i change weapons with mouse scroll.

sword slashes are good now. With backhand it feel much more crispy now. fronthand slash need more frames (esp. when i hold fire and i make 3rd, 5th slash...), i would also add 2 more frames to backhand slash. the sword game is quite fun as it is now.

melee combat suffer from compulsory revolver reload. PC start reloading revolver in the middle of close combat and i m losing precious split seconds waiting for weapon change. its great that i can be at 0 ammo, but I would personally force player to press reload. Its also create the panic feeling, and i think it would fit into the game theme.

I would sell you my hand if you provide parry with a sword (prevent all melee damage from front) instead kick alt fire for the sword. It quite nice to slash the knife brigand with knife, however exchange with scythe guy end with me losing 50% health each time. [maybe its good because it force me to change for revolver]

im not sure but does the character run slower than in doom game? Im trying to walk everywhere for immersion. Its all cool, but would be cooler if he cant run backward as fast (i know heresy, how would do you guys will fight melee monsters without backpedal)

would be nice to have some source of portable light.

Kick is too slow. i would switch it for left punch jab, that is quick and pain lock enemy.

i hoard all the shells for 1st monster, and it get down in 20 shots and 1 save, good good. I get to the end when there is 2 of them at once. I think they dont melee me. Combat with this guys is much better.
Spoiler:
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Played it yesterday and slept on it. First, just wanna admit that I played with cheats for a very specific reason: your map is gorgeous... absolutely beautiful... and these kinds of maps demand me to take my time looking around and absorbing the sights :D Unfortunately, this means I can't comment on gameplay balance or anything, so I'll leave that to others. But... the map design... from the layout... to the textures... the detailing... the pacing... everything is just about perfect. And the atmosphere... oh god the atmosphere! :D Even the maze that some people seem to have a problem with was fine imo; I have a HORRIBLE sense of direction and suck at navigating, yet I was still able to find my way and remember where things generally were. Maybe it was worse in the previous version or something that I didn't play? Regardless, current version layout is good. Also, I thought that your guys' decision to replace the automap would irritate me, but it was fine actually and probably increased immersion. My only complaint is that it ended too soon :P

You guys should REALLY be proud of what you've got here and I can't wait until I can play your trenchfoot mod in full! :D

Btw, does anyone know if there's a way to restore the default automap without altering files? I missed one secret and one enemy and am curious what I missed.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Trench Foot (Demo released)

Post by SLON »

osjclatchford wrote:Yeah I saw that autoloader thing...
I think that would be a great add-on to the gun rather than a straight replacement.
somehting you could hide in a secret or have in a later level progression.
have it breach loaded to start (perhaps a few tics slower reload)
then find the 'autoloader' later and this would reload faster for you...

thats my twopennith anyhow.

just think that loosing that sweet-ass hand-breach-reload anim would be a real crying shame... thats what I think makes it so satisfying to me...

anyway, If you want me to give the autoloader 'tube' a similar makeover to match my improved barrel just give me a shout.
you wouldn't want it looking all mismatched is all i'm saying... ;)

*edit*
I figured, fuck it just do it so, I've gone and done some work to it:
wip sg.png
the Alofs tube's surface has been completely re-rendered to match the barrel and Ive cleaned up its edges somewhat in the reload frames.
the back of the Alofs tube is also now more consistantly deigned between the idle and reload anims, a simple domed finish.
as well as this, Ive cleaned up the transition between the black gloves and the stock so it looks cleaner and less mspainty...(no offence)
Ive Also added two variant frames on the reload so that the Alofs tube actually has shells in it and then done the same corresponding frames with no shells so once you fire your last shell the chamber is actually empty. (easy enough to code in decorate)
as a final little bonus theres a new pickup sprite (based on my 'slayers legacy' ssg shotgun for major crisis) so it looks more like its own thing and less like an edited doom ssg... comes in two flavours, fullstock and pistol-grip

also had an idea for a drum autoloader as an add-on upgrade too (think akin to the dkok engineer shotties) but with that I'd say pick either one or t'other...
In fact, now Ive gone and done all this work to this one its probably best you do stick to it :) LOL

oh, try these two altered frames for the machinegun too:
MCGNB0.png
MCGNC0.png
they've been edited to add a feel of recoil with a sense of third dimension in the rearward movement towards the player when firing. it adds a lot of life rather than the 'drop the image down the screen a few pixels' trick which can look a little stale or flat... (downloading these will wipe the offsets so just put them with the same offsets as you had for the original ones and they'll look fine)
*end*
Is it really to release this as an addon, or?
Mooney

Post by Mooney »

Thanks again for the kind words and the good criticism guys it really helps.

Got a new "Animated Soundscape" up.

Jvrol

Post by Jvrol »

You know instead of the single break action shotgun I think this shotgun would fit best into this mod:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897
Attachments
WncsterCatMod97trench.jpg
WncsterCatMod97trench.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
Mooney

Post by Mooney »

That is a mighty fine shotty.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Also i dunno, but Revolving Shotgun or Lever-action Shotgun would work like a charm.
Mooney wrote:(muvie)
Another Doom-Engine forged miracle emerges from the embrace of sacred holiness. In other words, it's well made!
Hermann_Wolf1

Post by Hermann_Wolf1 »

I think that out of those 3 the MP-18 would most definitely fit into the mods WW1-era trench warfare setting. I know that the slot 3 gun resembles the MG-42 and that the Nebelwerfer artillery pieces at the end of are from WW2 but im not gonna be that 1 guy who nitpicks the absolute fuck out of everything, this mod is already great as it is! 8-)
Mooney

Post by Mooney »

The level of tech in TF is generally all over the place as long as it can fit into a dieselpunk aesthetic.

Those too are some nice suggestions.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”