Raising/lowering a structure - building raising from the flo

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Raising/lowering a structure - building raising from the flo

Post by Guest »

Would it be possible to have a structure with walls and stairs raise/lower as a whole?
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Raising/lowering a structure - building raising from the

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yes, completely possible. Maybe if you tell us more, we could help you better.

Post by Guest »

Well, I wonder if it would be possible to build a structure and have it come from the ground. Like an island coming out the water.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yes, it is possible. With the help of ACS.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

As ramon.dexter says, it is possible to do what you want.

The thing is, without getting details of exactly the kind of structure you want to create and raise/lower, where is is before it raises, whether the structure can be walked over before the raising, how complicated the structure is and many, many more details, it's impossible to give you any more help than "yes you can do it and it will involve using ACS".

If you need more than that, you are going to have to help us to help you. Ideally, if you could provide a map with the structure that is going to be raised, then people could see exactly what you want to move.
Fragger
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Fragger »

This is still an idea.
A sector 512 x 512 with a one floor building about1/2 the size, with a 3d floor roof, and a couple of monster closets in it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Unfortunately, what you want to do simply can't be do...

OWAIT! Is this an example I see?
FantasyIsland.pk3
(34.94 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Just load it in Doom2 and enjoy. :biggrin:

It's just a simple little map that I whipped up as a proof of concept. Obviously with more time, a lot more could be done. The building could be more complicated, the raising effect could have some Hexen-like debris thrown around as the building comes up, you could add sounds, explosions or whatever, but it works.

I've commented the ACS script in the map wad and I hope that it's clear enough.

The basic principle and process are reasonably simple:
  • Build your building normally at ground height - including any 3D floors etc. (and remember that you will have to put a 3D floor roof on it)
  • Select the entire building and lower the floor heights so that they will be at or below ground level (in Ultimate Doom Builder, use minus minus and the height that you want to lower everything by (e.g. --168)
  • do the same for the floor and the ceilings for the 3D floor control sectors.
  • Write a script that does the opposite to what you just did - i.e. raise the floors of the building and raise the floors and ceilings of the 3D control sectors.
Everything else is just fluff and additional details (of which, the example map has a few).

It's worth noting that a building like this can't really have normal doors because doors can't have anything above them. That's why the door to my building lowers into the floor instead. With a bit of trickery, you could make a 3D floor door and even a sliding/rotating polyobject door using polyobject explicit lines. In most cases though, I reckon that a door like I have in the example will work well enough.
Fragger
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Fragger »

Thanks a lot. This will keep me occupied for a while. XD

Return to “Mapping”