Payback/ROGUES Weapons and Characters Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DeeDeeOZ

Payback/ROGUES Weapons and Characters Mod

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

title
title
paybackTITLE.PNG (9.99 KiB) Viewed 18369 times

Introducing Payback -Vigilance

this is a weapons/characters mod with a whole bunch of stuff, designed to be used mostly in modern settings.
but feel free to do anything with it (should work with anything that's not a weapon replacer).

step into the shoes of 1 of 11 (or 9 in rogues) unique playable characters and bring some un orthodox justice to whatever enemy
replacement mod your playing with whether it be Demons, Spiders, Nazis, Thugs, Russian mercs or Angelic aviary.
all 11 characters have there own strength's weakness's and personalities as well as a couple of unique weapons.

this started as a add on to my modern enemies stuff and was designed to be used with them but I split it into a
separate thing to increase compatibility. It will also serve as the weapon set base for a bunch of enemies
replacement settings I plan to work on.

*Now with alternate Rogues versions 9 different characters with different personalities and different weapons to fight with.

So what are you actually getting!

11(9 in rogues) character choices all with unique playstyles and character sprites/mugshots
spoilered for sanity
Spoiler:
AND NOW THE ROGUES!
Spoiler:
this mod also features a pretty large arsenal of weapons. 104 (99 without cheating)(150ish in Rogues) to be exact but features a
carrying capacity system to hopefully limit bloat.
(note currently 5 weapons don't turn up in normal weapon drops due to future plans or being secret, 1 I'm just
not happy with the sprites but 4 of these can be accessed by cheating)
made this a download as its a really long read.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/77yxqcrp456vd ... t.txt?dl=0

some really important info regarding how some stuff works
(YOU SHOULD READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS AS HOPEFULLY IT HELPS)
Spoiler:
also more notes
-The Hud is designed to work in 16:9 or non scaled and will probably display wrong with other versions (not really
sure how to fix this)
-The Hud is designed to be as minimal as possible while still showing all the important stuff.
-This like anything I make is not super serious and designed to hopefully be fun so please don't take it that way.
-Some sounds are average quality, not really my area so apologies here.
-There is a couple of sprites I'm not overly happy with but they will do the job
-There was a problem if you picked up weapons while playing your characters intro but I'm pretty sure its fixed now
let me know if its not, for best results just wait for the intro's to finish before starting playing they are short
anyway.
-Bullet weapons are all hitscan, explosives, flamers, flares are projectile
-All weapons feature reloading its full but fast to keep the game fast and fun.
-This is also compatible with weapon wheel which works quite nice.
-This works best with enemies that drop pistols instead of clips

Some screenshots
Spoiler:
Some gameplay videos
Spoiler:
CHANGELONG
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD IT(oldest version)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6khtgutw9bobx ... f.zip?dl=0

NEW version with different weapon sounds
-NEWEST CURRENT VERSION, better sounds and weapon icons to help with inventory management/also now weapons with scopes are now usable with zoom key.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxp39obm2nta0 ... E.zip?dl=0

DOWNLOAD ROGUES
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubsqzsm71xoii ... B.zip?dl=0

AND FINALLY ITS DONE (PAYBACK COMPLETE EDITION) all 22 characters, all 150ish weapons, all combined and not broken!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ab75ns30s612 ... 0.zip?dl=0

*NEW!!* WIP (PAYBACK COMPLETE CHAMPION EDITION) 24 characters, all the weapons.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gmbn4exg ... 6l212&dl=0

And something to fight with this (modern human enemies)
viewtopic.php?t=77416

Also finally Credits list is included in file and hopefully up to date and accurate, I want to stress that I really
want to make sure people are credited properly, but I have been known to make mistakes and if so please just let me
know and I will fix it as soon as possible, if you believe something is wrong/mis credited etc., or have a problem
with me using something in this, again let me know and hopefully we can work something out. If not I will change it.
Not here to make people mad just make fun stuff.
Last edited by DeeDeeOZ on Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Payback Weapons and Characters Mod

Post by Craneo »

Ok, just tried your new mod, I like the concept but it is a bit rough around the edges visually, imho you need to smoothen the animations for the weapons, make the muzzle flashes dissappear faster (in some weapons atleast, as they last too long imho), fix the HUD on 4:3 aspect ratio, and also add some shadows in the part that connects the sleeve and the glove as it kinda feels pasted over, another idea I kinda have (less of a criticism more of a suggestion) for Payback, is that I think a quick melee button could be cool, perhaps put the altfire to be quick melee and move the drop weapon to weapon zoom?
EDIT: forgot to say, I think the nailgun should shoot actual nails instead of being another hitscan weapon, kinda gets rid of the charm :/
Last edited by Craneo on Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

Ah, finally, the sweet release! Gonna try it out on my free time!
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Craneo wrote:you need to smoothen the animations for the weapons, make the muzzle flashes dissappear faster.. fix the HUD on 4:3 aspect ratio.. and also add some shadows in the part that connects the sleeve and the glove as it kinda feels pasted over.. I think the nailgun should shoot actual nails instead of being another hitscan weapon, kinda gets rid of the charm :/
This is the short of feedback I like so thanks.
-Agree about smoothing out the weapon animations more and will look over the flashes to see if some can be shortened. There are definitely some sprites I'm not really happy with but was hard pressed with what was available (Mini14, Galil and the whole reason compound bow isn't in drops just to name a few)
-Fixing the HUD aspect is very much something I want but not really sure what needs to be done :oops: , it was already a problem with the base HUD I built this on. Had not done much tinkering with HUD's before and now have incredible respect for amount of work people put into it. Really want to fix this.
-The sleeves are one of those things that needs work but will probably be worked on slowly, they where really just a simple way of having multiple characters
of multiple nationality's use same weapons with out having to sprite different hands and arms.
-Can make the Nailgun fire projectiles nails, already got sprites set up for this, only reason I made it the way it is was to fit with the one in Manhunt where it pretty much functions as a cheap low power pistol.
Craneo wrote: I think a quick melee button could be cool, perhaps put the altfire to be quick melee and move the drop weapon to weapon zoom?
-Been thinking about this as well. Was thinking of adding alt fires to the players unique weapons to increase the reason to use them (possibly quick melee for guns, alt attack for melee) but also want to not confuse people if I leave alt fire as drop
-originally when making this you didn't drop weapons but threw them at enemies (which hurt them) when you discarded them, this was silly good fun but also
kind of dumb unless I tweaked gravity and stuff (weapons sailing across rooms). I'm considering bringing this back for Jacki to help represent her increased strength.
-main reason for leaving alt fire as drop is when bound to a mouse you can quickly drop a weapon and grab another (especially good with auto switch) and keep firing, this is actually quicker then reloading sometimes.

Again, Thanks for the feedback really appreciated!

Edit. Started cutting black the muzzle flashes and yeah it looks much nicer!
Edit. Okay starfish DeeDeeOZ got me (nice one guys)
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

this looks like its inspired bay payday and that makes me really happy, thats all bye bye
Craneo

Post by Craneo »

Took the liberty to try and "reshade" the P90 like I did with the World War Wolf weapons, I'll finish it later thought
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Craneo wrote:Image
Took the liberty to try and "reshade" the P90 like I did with the World War Wolf weapons, I'll finish it later thought
looks awesome, the p90 was one of the more "model rippy" sprites and that is a very nice improvement. Great work and as before no pressure, anything you feel like doing is always much appreciated :D !

I won't have time to day to get anything done with work today but have changed the download to one with the some of the muzzle flashes shortened (pistols/some shotguns) which feels slightly nicer while still keeping same rate of fire, plan on doing the rest and adding couple of extra frames to the all the break open weapons as they feel the roughest and could use some smoothing.
Zonky wrote:this looks like its inspired bay payday and that makes me really happy, thats all bye bye
it's funny but I still haven't played payday, friend of mine is always going on about it but I just never got to it. Also the first version I had of this had blue
latex gloves which is probably even more similar again but was little bit more obnoxious on the eyes.

EDIT. actually found some time so managed to update all weapons with quicker muzzle flashes (this also resulted in some smoother looking firing for some guns) and a couple of minor sprite fixes (mostly to remove some blue that snuck into sprites) will work on extra frames for some reloads and some other small things soon.
Craneo

Post by Craneo »

Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Just gave this a playthrough and I absolutely love the light-hearted feel of this whole thing. The characters are really fun and the intro animations made me laugh a couple of times. I feel like there are some fundamental issues with the animations being kind of choppy overall, as well as some not incredibly fun to look at model rips. However that being said, this gives me a similar feeling that old DEHACKED-based weapon mods from the old days gave me, which is a fantastic vibe overall.

A couple of things!
  • Sound quality is all over the place and so is the volume. Some sounds are very lo-fi and some are higher quality but extremely loud.
  • Twitch's starting revolver has an animation error while firing, showing the cylinder out of the weapon
  • Absolutely adore the menus, would love to see some custom operating system sounds in there!
  • As for fixing the status bar: You'll most likely want to rebuild it using fullscreen offsets, especially with how it's positioned. That should fix the resolution and scaling issues.
Looking forward to seeing this continue and improve along the way!
Craneo

Post by Craneo »

BTW Another idea to rebalance the classes to differentiate them a bit more could be to make it so they all get a screen pitch recoil thing that differs from character to character based on strenght or accuracy maybe? like, they shoot a gun and the screen goes higher, depending on the character the screen can go way too high to the character having the most control

as for more reshades I'll try to do more for some weapons, I was thinking of reshading the nailgun maybe, or the knife
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Cardboard Marty wrote: A couple of things!
  • Sound quality is all over the place and so is the volume. Some sounds are very lo-fi and some are higher quality but extremely loud.
  • Twitch's starting revolver has an animation error while firing, showing the cylinder out of the weapon
  • Absolutely adore the menus, would love to see some custom operating system sounds in there!
  • As for fixing the status bar: You'll most likely want to rebuild it using fullscreen offsets, especially with how it's positioned. That should fix the resolution and scaling issues.
Firstly thanks for the Feedback, always great to hear from people
-sound stuff is something I struggle with. this will hopefully improve with time
-Fixed Twitch's revolver, I doubled up on sprites when I adjusted the flash lengths. should be fixed now. thanks for this
-Glad you like the menus, I really wanted super old school charm. I think a soft system hum would be great for ambience
-thanks for this, again first time really messing with Hud stuff so hopefully will get it working.

Again thank you for the feedback. Also super happy the intros made you laugh. I kind of figure if I get people to laugh even once then my Job is complete.
Craneo wrote:BTW Another idea to rebalance the classes to differentiate them a bit more could be to make it so they all get a screen pitch recoil thing that differs from character to character ... as for more reshades I'll try to do more for some weapons, I was thinking of reshading the nailgun maybe, or the knife
-I mostly chose to remove the screen pitch thing this time as couple of people didn't like it in world war wolf, but got some ideas to try and make characters
feel little more unique.
I was going to say maybe wait on the nailgun. I'm thinking of redoing a unique one (heavier) version for Jacki to give her something bit more unique. but If you do I can always edit the redone one, as always anything you feel like doing will always be appreciated
EDIT. nailgun now projectile not hitscan and Jacki has her new heavier version, not sure if feels/sounds good or not.
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

Hmmm...

Soo....through sheer luck, both the Punisher and Manhunt monster packs do actually work on LZDOOM ( I can't play GZDOOM due to the computer I was using now not having the all-important OpenGL driver, so I had to use LZDOOM).

When I try to run the Payback Weapons mod to try it out, I have this error message.

Idk if this is another OpenGL Driver error thing or something.

Im not saying that you should fix it right away (In fact, I can wait for the fix so please, take your time and continue to take your break till you're able enough), but hopefully the mod can still be playable for those who have to also switch to LZDOOM due to also lacking any OPENGL
Attachments
Screenshot_644.png
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

PatCatz2004 wrote:When I try to run the Payback Weapons mod to try it out, I have this error message.

Idk if this is another OpenGL Driver error thing or something.
That's most definitely a script-side error, not a renderer-related issue. Looks to be due to a call to the wrong function in the line in question - A_PlayWeaponSound only takes one argument (the actual sound to play), and since there are two arguments given, GZDoom errors out and the boot aborts. It's fixable by either changing the function call to A_PlaySound or removing the second argument from the existing A_PlayWeaponSound function.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

PatCatz2004 wrote:Hmmm...
When I try to run the Payback Weapons mod to try it out, I have this error message.
removed the un needed extra code line and should work now. easy fix. let me know if you have any other problems

EDIT. wanted to add that this was pretty much made to complement the Punisher/Manuhunt enemy replacers so hope this works for you now.
Last edited by DeeDeeOZ on Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craneo

Post by Craneo »

Here it is, the reshaded nailgun, also made the heavy nailgun be blue to make it stand out more I guess, I tried lol
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9adqevasgvbf ... s.pk3?dl=0

Return to “Gameplay Mods”