[4.7.1] Dynamic lights don't work on Mac M1 (ARM64)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

[4.7.1] Dynamic lights don't work on Mac M1 (ARM64)

Post by Guest »

When using Mac M1 hardware (Apple Silicon, ARM64), dynamics lights don't work (tried OpenGL and Vulkan renderers).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [4.7.1] Dynamic lights don't work on Mac M1 (ARM64)

Post by Rachael »

I dunno, seems to be working for me.

What version are you running? What kind of Mac is it? And what's the OS?
ivxvm
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by ivxvm »

GZDoom 4.7.1, Macbook Air M1, macOS Monterey 12.2.1
I'm checking it by watching projectiles (as they emit the most noticable and beautiful dynamic lights when it works).

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Try entering "autoloadlights 1" in the console and restart GZDoom.

By default the light definitions are not loaded because they likely will (and often do) clash with dehacked overrides.
ivxvm
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by ivxvm »

Rachael wrote:Try entering "autoloadlights 1" in the console and restart GZDoom.

By default the light definitions are not loaded because they likely will (and often do) clash with dehacked overrides.
Thanks, fixed the issue for me! I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do this on my older PC, maybe it's also about earlier GZDoom version though.
Just a personal opinion, would be nice to have this by default or at least make it easier to figure out.
It's not clear how anyone could find this setting without asking devs or submitting bugreport first (which also requires knowing these lights are possible).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

This should be in the menu AFAIK, if it's not then it definitely needs to be made available there, because neither Mac nor Linux has the option in the startup dialog.

Unfortunately the startup dialog on all OS's has been effectively deprecated in favor of a more cross-platform solution for a very long time (i.e. no significant work will be done on them - the Windows one only changes because it's easy to change and most GZDoom users use Windows anyway) - however such a solution has yet to materialize.

Return to “Technical Issues”