The ZArena (ZArena Heavy Balance Changes Update) [v0.4]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DOOMPiter

The ZArena (ZArena Heavy Balance Changes Update) [v0.4]

Post by DOOMPiter »

WELCOME, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! Today, it is by my pleasure that i release an early version of this Arena-Based mod i'm working on.

"What is this mod?" You may ask, well, i got a simple answer: The ZArena is an arena-based mod that is inspired by the Kirby games because of The Arena/The Ultimate Choice, and this mod uses the same concept. Go from one battle to the next in a linear order without dying. Simple, right? ...Right...?

Some of the Features in the Mod:
  • Dungeons: After clearing a floor, a big door will block your passage to the next Floor, and you will be tasked to clear a dungeon to obtain a keycard to open the door blocking the next Floor. These Dungeons are usually themed, and are pretty challenging, usually compensating for the weaponry you get at the end of a floor.
  • Weapon Progression: When you win a Battle, the Resupply room, located within Floor 1 with some sapphire-colored text above it's door saying "RESUPPLY", will have a weapon waiting for you, along with some goodies, like medikits and ammo, and SOMETIMES armor.
  • Strict-Arena: Savescumming is NOT an option in this mod. Once you die, you are going back AAAAALL the way back to Floor 1!
  • New Weapons: A lot of weapons from a variety of games are included in this mod, ones that you know very well, some that you haven't seen. Often included with smooth animations, reloading, or some new-comers altogether!
Screenshots:
Spoiler: These are somewhat long.
Changelog:
Spoiler: These will get long later on. Be aware of this!
Downloads:
ZArena Heavy Balance Changes Update (v0.4) (Includes fixed for ALL glaring balancing issues in the mod, adding layers of effectiveness for a lot of weapons, tweaking boss health to be less ludicrous, a second boss in Floor 3 that has a special attack, and a lot more.)
ZArena Floor 3 Public Test Build Patch 0.1 (v0.3.1)
ZArena Floor 3 Public Test Build (v0.3) (Includes patches that fixes ALL of reloadable weapons so they don't crash Zadnronum/GZDoom when the reserve ammo for them is depleted)
ZArena Dungeon 1 Demo (v0.2.2) (Pretty much the same as the other Floor 2 demos, but now it includes a packful of new stuff, and the introduction of Dungeons, as an in-between floor challenge segment.)
ZArena Floor 2 Demo Patch 0.1 (v0.2.1) (Same as Floor 2 Demo, but contains a few more improvements and overhauls of the Cyberbaron and the Devastator Commando.)
ZArena Floor 2 Demo (v0.2) (Contains the entirety of Floor 1 and 2, with a lot of improvements to the mod!)
PublicDemoBuild (v0.1) (Contains the entirety of Floor 1, and 2 out of the 4 fights that are to be included in Floor 2)
Last edited by DOOMPiter on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The ZArena

Post by Captain J »

Yo this is so creative and faithful to the arena part of Kirby Super Star! I did beat every boss available in current version, and it would be nice if i could see the boss health meter since i can't figure out how many HP they have.

Also Hard Difficulty is practically the same with other Difficulties but takes too long to take one boss down, you receive extra damage and... Hey, i think i can show you some tips to make it hard, True Arena style:

Step 1: Make all the bosses do special move that makes the game more challenging.

Step 2: Either make a simple shortcut to the next boss with some supplies or just warp the player to it.

Step 3: Duo or Trio of Bosses. Or Puzzle Boss maybe?
Spoiler: Step 4:
This is darn promising since i really like the boss fight in video game. I hardly can wait for next update, so keep it up yo!
DOOMPiter

Re: The ZArena

Post by DOOMPiter »

Captain J wrote:Yo this is so creative and faithful to the arena part of Kirby Super Star! I did beat every boss available in current version, and it would be nice if i could see the boss health meter since i can't figure out how many HP they have.

Also Hard Difficulty is practically the same with other Difficulties but takes too long to take one boss down, you receive extra damage and... Hey, i think i can show you some tips to make it hard, True Arena style:

Step 1: Make all the bosses do special move that makes the game more challenging.

Step 2: Either make a simple shortcut to the next boss with some supplies or just warp the player to it.

Step 3: Duo or Trio of Bosses. Or Puzzle Boss maybe?
Spoiler: Step 4:
This is darn promising since i really like the boss fight in video game. I hardly can wait for next update, so keep it up yo!
Thanks for giving some feedback, Cap'n! I'll be sure to add Health Bars in the next update and make some significant changes to the diffculty settings.
DOOMPiter

Re: The ZArena (Floor 2 Demo)

Post by DOOMPiter »

Floor 2 Demo is now available for download! Read the changelog to see some of the changes added to the mod.
DOOMPiter

Re: The ZArena (Floor 2 Demo Patch 0.1)

Post by DOOMPiter »

A new patch to Floor 2 Demo is available, and i forgot to add credits to the guy who made the MAC-11/Upgraded Pistol sprites, Whoopsie!
Credits to the MAC-11/Upgraded Pistol Sprites: PotetoBloke
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

This is definitely interesting. How many floors do you plan on having?
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

salahmander2 wrote:This is definitely interesting. How many floors do you plan on having?
Around... Four, maybe. But there might be more after Floor four...
DOOMPiter

Re: The ZArena (Dungeon 1 Demo)

Post by DOOMPiter »

A new version has been added, introducing the newest feature of the mod: Dungeons! An idea i had for a while, has finally been added.
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

So turns out that the most recent build of ZArena broke the entirety of Floor 2. A updated version with a bit of Floor 3 will be issued ASAP.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Just so you know, ZArenav0.2.2 crashes when i deplete all my ammo with either Shotgun or Beretta. Pretty sure something's going on during the lowering animation. Played with GZDoom g4.7.1.

EDIT:

Portal textures might need some extra adjustment.
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Captain J wrote:Just so you know, ZArenav0.2.2 crashes when i deplete all my ammo with either Shotgun or Beretta. Pretty sure something's going on during the lowering animation. Played with GZDoom g4.7.1.

EDIT:

Portal textures might need some extra adjustment.
I'll be sure to explore what the fuck is going on with the random crashing, since i made this mod with Zandronum in mind, Not GZ.
DOOMPiter

Floor 3 Public Test Build Release

Post by DOOMPiter »

How did it take so long to Release? Who knows, but here it is nonthenless:
a Public Test build for Floor 3, fixing pretty much all issues Capn. J instated, along with the inclusion of Floor 3.
DOOMPiter

Re: The ZArena (ZArena Floor 3 Public Test Build)

Post by DOOMPiter »

There is now a patch to the Floor 3 Public Test Build... That fixes the rifle accidentally replacing the Shotgun.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Yo the update was sweet. But Arachnotron, Cyber Baron, and Devastator Guy can get hurt by their own projectile's explosion.
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Captain J wrote:Yo the update was sweet. But Arachnotron, Cyber Baron, and Devastator Guy can get hurt by their own projectile's explosion.
Don't you worry, a new build will be released... When uh, it's done, i guess.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”