[slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Weyland

Re: [slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

Post by Weyland »

Wow, it's really nice mod, I hope you will finish it some day.

How many quests are in demo? I finished two in tutorial (spare parts and antitode), now I'm looking for hunter in Dead City.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

You mean map1002, village khlumetz and dead city? Three quests there: find the antidote, find the spare parts and fined the missing hunter. This is oldest of the set. I§m planning to completely reshape this map with my new knowledge.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Watched the new video. Great work mate!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Guys, thanks for the cheer up, it was somethign I really needed...
Actually, I wanted to make another sub-release, but I completely forgot that I've not yet translated it. So, now I'm working on translation. And since it is the most boring part of devving, it will take some time.
Solus

Post by Solus »

Hi!
I can't seem to be able to get out of my quarters. The door won't open. I think tried the activate button on everything in the place and nothing happens.
Tried different load order, trying to figure out if it was that. No luck.
What am I missing?
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

ramon.dexter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 am When I get some post-apocalyptic mood, I will work on SoA. I just don't wan t to spend my time in the wasteland, not now.
Okay, wastelandRanger reporting return to duty. Since I have a feeling I want to roam the wastes, coming back to SoA and putting WoS to sleep. At least for now. But don§t expect any new release soon, as I have to sort out internals of SoA and hopefully clean it. :rock:
kkolyan

Post by kkolyan »

what version of zdoom (gzdoom?) needed?
what iwad needed?
okay, experiments shown that following command works well:

gzdoom.exe -iwad strife1.wad -file SOA_v2.wad -file SOA-BASE_v2.pk3 -file SOA-Textures.pk3
Last edited by kkolyan on Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84JMSW-QT9w&t=14s

Looks like this one is getting noticed again. :D

I'm really excited to see what this project grows into.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Vostyok wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:36 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84JMSW-QT9w&t=14s

Looks like this one is getting noticed again. :D

I'm really excited to see what this project grows into.
Ohhh, thet's nice. What an old build dude uses! Yeah, it's slowly growing. Actually, my injury gave the much needed time to work, so in the last month I've made more than in the last year. I've moved text strings to language, sorted quests and sorted internal mechanics, finished the big unfinished map, fixed quest scripting, added many new models (vehicles are much easier built with models than with sectors...), and many other stuff. Like I said, it's growing.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Just a quick update: not dead yet, just sloghtly irradiated. Continuing work on this. I've just refined some code parts into full zscript, made several new powerup items (some explosives and a water filter) and nearly completed one of the wasteland maps. So there is a small progress.
Epstein_Murdered_Why
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Epstein_Murdered_Why »

The camping pk3, is that a set of assets needed for the great-looking map, or is it a different map that you made, or...?
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Epstein_Murdered_Why: the camping is a set of tools for this TC.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, time for another update!

I've spent my last free week working on SoA. Polished quests in first big town, started working on main quest in second town and polished some of the ACS scripting. Polished zscript, removed the Use abuse where it was possible (moved use of inventory items to Use() override). Added new survival type item, water filter, allowing player to filter water while in deep wasteland. And the biggest news:
I've finally made the zscript time counter and controller, which means SoA now has time inside, scalable with timescale value (not sure if this will be accessible by player). So, that allowed me to make the final thing that was totally missing in SoA - changing of light in levels, based on time of day. So, now it's all in and working. Maybe I'll record a video how it all works. Now I've got to include time into the old sleeping mechanic. I'm thinking about something like morrowind sleep menu with a slider ... well, got to learn how to make a slider with zforms.

So, it's all slowly coming together.
abelar

Post by abelar »

Can't wait to try it!
johnb1

Post by johnb1 »

Great looking video, ramon.dexter, am really looking forward to it whenever it comes out, when that is , nobody can say for sure, certainly not me.... I downloaded the demo, with all 3 parts in there, checked to make sure that they all would open in GZDoom, I have g4.12 pre-91-g5d-12598409, so, no, not a stable version, just the most recent beta version, and I tried using doom 2 as the iWad, and it totally got hung up, didn't get to the title screen, or the start screen, or anything, something about "Divide by Zero"... I'm no technical whiz when it comes to this, so I'm guessing for now I can't play even the Demo....maybe I'll try again later with a stable version of GZDoom, I'm gettting kind of an "Ashes 2063" feeling from this one, which is a good thing.....
thanks

John B

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”