[Fan R-Type Weapon Mod] Bydofied V.1.1 - Emergency Armament

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

[Fan R-Type Weapon Mod] Bydofied V.1.1 - Emergency Armament

Post by Captain J »

(tbh this green robot doesn't appear in the mod but soon will be implemented. So no clickbait)

Blast off and strike the evil Bydo Empire!

Hello again! I created several mods that are mostly inspired on a lot of animations and video games, not based on them. Basically i couldn't create a fanmade project dedicated to one media, that i honestly like and are faithful to it. But then i saw R-Type, one of my favorite shmup with deep lore and cool looking spaceships. And then i saw R-Type Final 2 trailer this year, made me so motivated to work on and this is the result!

The story starts off with the second sortie of R-9HX1 ARCHER, the predecessor of ginormous humanoid weapon, TL-T CHIRON. After the huge amount of combat data received from R-9A ARROWHEADs, the Earth Allied Armed Forces(aka Space Corps) started on the experiment of producing hefty R-Fighter variants based on one model. Each model had its own purpose, armament, mostly powered by REDACTED. ARCHER is one of the special R-Fighters specialized in anti-personnel offense and it deemed to be very powerful against small Bydo type creatures and machines, without causing too many needless damage. They gave ARCHER a new mission to scour one small barren planet, with full of mysteries and terror awaiting it.

This mod is basically 'What if R-Type was in Doom' in every adaptation doom mod justice. There might be some differences if you played the original game for a long time. Some features haven't included yet, and i'm not a professional when it comes to doom modding. But i'm trying my best and i hope it satisfies you and your taste on R-Type in any way.

And be sure to know that this mod is still in WIP state. Things like Bits and Forces are not there at the moment and i'm about to slowly add more and more. Feedback is always welcome!

- Use 5 Weapon Crystals and 2 Aux Weapons from the original R-Type series, plus with 5 more Aux Weapons!
- Charge your Wave Cannon to obliterate the horde of enemies in few shots!
- Look around for useful Powerups, perhaps you could also obtain some specimens developed by the hands of the Space Corps...
- Upgrade your Weapon Crystal by obtaining the exact same one. It packs a lot of punch!
- Enemies also follow the principal of the original game: Exploding in climactic way possible!
- U n f i n i s h e d A F ! !

Arm Yourself.

Older Versions:
(old stinky V.1)
Spoiler: Screenshots(Map used: Equinox)
Spoiler: Some Tips you should know
Spoiler: Credits(from the main file)
Spoiler: Todo List
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
silentw

Re: [Fan R-Type Weapon Mod] Bydofied V.1 - Dazzling and Dead

Post by silentw »

ohyes

Now THAT'S what I call a good mod!
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

Playing through this right now. I've never played R-type so alot of that aspect is lost on me, but I'm really enjoying the mod so far. The particle effects for all the bullets look absolute amazing.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

I'm liking what I've played of it so far, but it seems there is a very big issue with the fact that Sigil is literally unplayable because of the whole evil eye hitscan thing (which also applies to DBP23 and maybe other mapsets that use this way of scripting), having to rely on the MDK command instead.
And of course, me being me, I had to make a music pack with bunch of music from various Irem games, not just the R-Type series (except Lethal Thunder & Mystic Riders).
64palm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 64palm »

hello
can i combine with Rampancy enemy mod ?
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Each model had its own purpose, armament, mostly powered by REDACTED.
Don't REDACTED me, I know what it's powered with.

Neat idea, I'm looking forward for it having Force pods. Are you planning on various types or just the standard R-9 Force? Something like the Anchor Force would be amazing if you decide to add more.
Will a "Dose" mechanic come in like in Delta? Anything from Leo?

And most importantly, who would win, Doom demons or the Bydo? My bet is on the Bydo.
- Maybe try to figure out how to make semi-auto weapons that do not ignore your input and goes to the charging state
Try making it fire on release instead of on press. Otherwise you could check every frame or so (easier with zscript, for example with a wrapper function). You can also look at some stuff like Bullet-Eye to see how they do some things.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oh god it's been like, almost 3 weeks? I'm sorry for leaving this thread for a while because this burnout? This Powerlessness is getting out of hand but i'm certainly about to update and add new stuff/changes to the mod. And of course, Force, Bits and R-Type themed enemies will be added. I've found some tips that'd come really handy for the update. Anyways here goes with the reply! Hope you didn't wait so long.
silentw wrote:ohyes

Now THAT'S what I call a good mod!
Tho it's still in WIP state and it's far from perfect but i'm glad you're enjoying my recent gameplay mod!
CherubCorps wrote:Playing through this right now. I've never played R-type so alot of that aspect is lost on me, but I'm really enjoying the mod so far. The particle effects for all the bullets look absolute amazing.
The original series is much more fascinating. And glad you like my fan mod too!
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:I'm liking what I've played of it so far, but it seems there is a very big issue with the fact that Sigil is literally unplayable because of the whole evil eye hitscan thing (which also applies to DBP23 and maybe other mapsets that use this way of scripting), having to rely on the MDK command instead.
And of course, me being me, I had to make a music pack with bunch of music from various Irem games, not just the R-Type series (except Lethal Thunder & Mystic Riders).
Noted. Romero's Sigil is definitely more than just a map pack... I'm considering to add an extra hitscan on Wave Cannon that activates the switch. Also thanks for the contribution with the soundtrack addon! You're so generous.
64palm wrote:hello
can i combine with Rampancy enemy mod ?
Pretty sure you can run both mods without having any trouble. You'll have to load Bydofied first, and then the Rampancy.
Hetdegon wrote:Neat idea, I'm looking forward for it having Force pods. Are you planning on various types or just the standard R-9 Force? Something like the Anchor Force would be amazing if you decide to add more.
Will a "Dose" mechanic come in like in Delta? Anything from Leo?

And most importantly, who would win, Doom demons or the Bydo? My bet is on the Bydo.
I'm planning to add more and more to it. Force variations you can switch, Bydo-type enemies that blend in with the mod itself... Time will tell! And Bydo would win, of course.
- Maybe try to figure out how to make semi-auto weapons that do not ignore your input and goes to the charging state
Try making it fire on release instead of on press. Otherwise you could check every frame or so (easier with zscript, for example with a wrapper function). You can also look at some stuff like Bullet-Eye to see how they do some things.
That's interesting... Tho i don't understand how it'll work but i'll give it a check. Thanks for your support!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Hoh my goodness... It's been a while people! I've been updating Bydofied and my other mods. And here are the changes to Bydofied:

Code: Select all

- Add the brand new Alt-Fire to Heat Saber. Hold down the Secondary Fire key for a while til you hear a clicking sound. And then... Do the Lunge!

- Added invisible tricky hitscan to Wave Cannon so you can activate well-hid shootable switches

- Fixed constant firing with your Arm Gatling, Air Burner and Heat Saber after you replace the Aux Weapon

- Slightly made the boss explosion sprites larger

- Fixed "Acquired" typo on game texts. Kudos to UnforgivenCaleb for pointing it out!

- Dropped Aux Weapon items do not bounce off the fence anymore. Again, thanks UnforgivenCaleb

- Fixed the lighting on first person Aux Weapon sprites

- Finally Fixed the Wave Cannon animation glitching out. PLUS charge shot on other weapons are seamless now!
Well uhh... Sadly i haven't figured out how to implement Force and Bits just yet. Probably i should get more help to make them work.

Please do check out the OP and have fun!
Linz

Post by Linz »

Say J, will there be a music pack for this mod so we can jam out to R-Type music while blasting demons

Another thing: I think when you pick up a weapon upgrade it should tell you how it affected the weapon in the pickup message

Sure they seem easy to figure out but something that came to mind when I gave this a quick test run
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Linz wrote:Say J, will there be a music pack for this mod so we can jam out to R-Type music while blasting demons
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:And of course, me being me, I had to make a music pack with bunch of music from various Irem games, not just the R-Type series (except Lethal Thunder & Mystic Riders).
Good ol' QuakedoomNukem made a soundtrack addon just for this mod. Do check out if you're interested!
Another thing: I think when you pick up a weapon upgrade it should tell you how it affected the weapon in the pickup message

Sure they seem easy to figure out but something that came to mind when I gave this a quick test run
A good point. Tho you can test your upgraded weapon out within a second by just... Well, firing it! No ammo will be consumed until the time runs out. But i'll consider it. Thanks for playing!
Linz

Post by Linz »

Anytime! Hope you can figure out a way to implement those Bits and Forces and junk
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

So I finally did a substantial playthrough of this mod. It's surprisingly balanced once you figure out the gameplay loop. There are a few minor issues that I have.

1: The current weapon system works well for continuous playthrough, but when playing with pistol starts, it becomes challenging to find upgraded versions of the weapons (Since you need to find the weapon twice to use the upgrade). I think an easy fix would be to have an option where when you pick up a weapon for the 1st time, it starts with the upgrade, that way, people playing from pistol starts have more chances to use the powered up versions of weapons.

2: The flame thrower subweapon is WAY too powerful. So powerful that it makes all the other weapons obsolete. A way to possibly balance it would be to either decrease the damage or to have it chew through ammo 2-3x faster.

Overall, great work. Looking forward to newer editions of this mod.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Sorry for replying too late! Plus getting use to the new forum layout, i'm trying my hardest to be more productive and keep on updating the mod. Still trying to figure out how to implement both Bits and Force, but luckily i did find a useful code to use. And to reply your each feedback...
CherubCorps wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 pm1: The current weapon system works well for continuous playthrough, but when playing with pistol starts, it becomes challenging to find upgraded versions of the weapons (Since you need to find the weapon twice to use the upgrade). I think an easy fix would be to have an option where when you pick up a weapon for the 1st time, it starts with the upgrade, that way, people playing from pistol starts have more chances to use the powered up versions of weapons.
Wave Cannon does have its own merit of charging faster than any wielded weapon. Also the projectile itself deals superb damage when fully charged, it's explosive and can penetrate multiple mooks as well. But i will consider it as some kind of idea for a powerup.
2: The flame thrower subweapon is WAY too powerful. So powerful that it makes all the other weapons obsolete. A way to possibly balance it would be to either decrease the damage or to have it chew through ammo 2-3x faster.
Sub weapons are supposed to be powerful than primary at a condition of having limited ammo. Air Burner looks quite powerful so yeah, good point.
Overall, great work. Looking forward to newer editions of this mod.
Thanks! Guess i gotta speed myself up now because i want this update happen within this year!
Captain J

Re: [Fan R-Type Weapon Mod] Bydofied V.1.1 - Emergency Armament

Post by Captain J »

Firstly, i'm deeply sorry for not giving what i promised. Although i updated the mod but they're meager compared to the actual meat and potatoes yet i need to serve, like the custom Bydo enemies, Force and Bits. I already have the useful resources for such features(many thanks to Major Cooke granting me a permission to use his forcecube bits), but i need to be frank that IRL situations around my country, including the ones related to my family happened, and it's not really going well. It's been at least quiet this month and i'm at the state of recovery. However, it's difficult to bring back the motivations i used to have.

I really hope i could bring it back now because december 31th is the deadline, and i already even planned for custom monsters that i want to add. I didn't prepare for the slopes of 2022, which i should've have.

Anyways, here are the changes i added so far. Check out the OP for download!:

Code: Select all

- Edited the small font STCFN043 into actual +

- Finally made that Low Health warning sound play right(Special thanks to DavidPH!)

- Stopped ALLOWPARTICLES on invisible Wave Cannon hitscan

- Heat Saber's lunge attack on enemies now plays loud satisfying slash sound

- Corrected the HUD icons of certain Aux Weapons

- Explosive Projectiles like Wave Balls, Homing Missiles and Scatterbomb alert enemies upon explosion

- Changed SAVEDEAD and GGSAVED texts into something more understandable

- Added smoke effect on Explosive Barrels

- Shrunk down the unit of the Air Burner projectile (does not affect the splash damage)

- Decreased the volume of Archer's footstep and Reflect Laser's ricochet sounds

- Beam charging loop sound is extra seamless now

- Nerfed the speed slowdown effect of Shadow Serum

- Fixed the Tracker Laser animation during both charging and pre-melee drawing

- Air Burner ammo consumption is now more significant

- Adjusted the offset of default Split Flames' drawing animation to make the transformation seamless
Those who played my mod, i appreciate your support and being there for special update you're still waiting for. It'll take too long, granted. But eventually i will bring 'em up

Return to “Gameplay Mods”