Materials looks weird in .md3

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Logan MTM

Materials looks weird in .md3

Post by Logan MTM »

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to make some animations in md3, however, pbr doesn't look ok like in obj format. In fact, in .obj format everything is beautiful, the same doesn't happen in .md3 format.
I tried different types of exporters like, Talon's Blender script, Noases, etc.
I'm sharing a little pk3 and asking for help to experts on the subject. I think i'm doing something wrong in the export process.
Or perhaps light actually acts strangely on md3 models. I don't know!
Thanks in advance!
Cubes.pk3
(5.77 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Cherno

Re: Materials looks weird in .md3

Post by Cherno »

Without looking at the file, I assume that the model got exported with a single smoothing group, which indeed looks horrible on pretty much anything but a sphere. Makre sure that the model has it's normals set up correctly, and use an exporter that keeps this data.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Are we tallking about Blender?
Can you tell me more about this normal setup? Cus i really didn't even toutch in normals before export as .obj
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

For information, I tried using Npherno's MD3 compiler to re-build the normals. It changed the appearance of the model in game, but it still didn't look right.

I then made my own MD3 version of the model from scratch (in Maverick Model), used Npherno's to build the normals and it looked fine.

I then loaded up the OBJ in Maverick and used it to convert to an MD3, rebuilt the normals with Npherno's and it too looked fine. (I had to regroup the faces before Maverick would save it as an MD3 - maybe that's where the difference comes in?)
Cubes2.pk3
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to come to any meaningful conclusions but it does seem to be that the problem came from the obj to MD3 conversion that you used somehow.

This is the thread where I found out about much of the relevant information: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62350

Npherno's can be found here. https://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=1856 It's an older program, but it checks out.

As an aside, I also noticed that the model had 250 frames of animation (all frames identical). Deleting those reduced the model from 48KB to 868 bytes.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Kindly, i would like to request a video showing the process because I spent 3 hours of my night following every step posted and nothing in this world made this damn md3 looks "right".
I swear that in the last case I'll make all animations like in the old times, sprites by sprite, but in this case, obj by obj.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Do you mean the "process" that I went through?

There really wasn't much to it. I opened the obj in Maverick, selected all the faces, used the grouping tool to assign the faces to a group and then saved as a MD3. Then I opened the file in Npherno's, followed the steps that are detailed by Nash in the thread that I linked to and saved again. That was it; the model worked.

Whether that would work with a more complicated model, I have no idea. I tend not to work with obj models much at all.

Perhaps another method might be to use Noesis. I just tried it and it worked with just a few clicks.

Open Noesis and navigate to the folder with the obj.
Right click it and click Export.
Select md3 as the output type and tick the "Rotate 90" box (otherwise the model will be lying on its side).
Click the Export button.

That's it: it just worked. I didn't even bother running it through NPherno's and it looked fine in game.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Jesus!

https://github.com/nashmuhandes/io_expo ... eo_blender

And Done!

Thank you guys. Now i can finally play a bit! :mrgreen:
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Thanks you guys for this thread. It actually taught me things that was completely oblivious to me, like the normals in md3 models. So I grabbed the npherno's md3 compiler and fixed weapon models in WoS. Now they look great. Sweet! :D
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Like a Blender user, blood dropped from my eyes when i open npherno's. That Talon's/Nash (i guess) addon is a gift.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”