SIREN | v0.85

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DitheredOutput

Re: SIREN TC | v0.5

Post by DitheredOutput »

thankyou!
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

d
Last edited by DitheredOutput on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Want to play this with other maps? Get it here.

V5.5 Siren - Mod Only
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHNoTv ... p=drivesdk
ebb

Post by ebb »

soulshinobi wrote:
ebb wrote:My hud isn't working lol.
edit: i’m dumb, just had to max it out
My HUD still isn't working, it's just a Doom brick texture across the bottom with a gap in the middle, been playing with the settings for 15 minutes. The crosshair appears to be custom for this mod and is working, however it's off quite a bit vertically, bullets go above it. Any help is appreciated.
i just disabled the crosshair cus it's weird lmao

i think it's like the + or - buttons that make the hud a different size???
Time_Streamer

Post by Time_Streamer »

Ok. This mod has a lot of potential, however it has some problems that prevented me to keep playing this version as it is. I'm having fun with the weapon+monster pack with my maps though.

That aside, looking at older posts in the forum I realized that the main issue with this mod is performance. I'm not gonna delve too much into it, since it's an issue already reported. I didn't tried the "Lite" version, but If you are going to solve the performance issue by creating and maintaining a "Lite" version, I suggest you post the download link in the first page.

I stopped playing because I found that the mod may not be ready for full exploration and left me stuck in two different situations. Once a player is presented with a locked door he assumes that there is another way to proceed. In those two situations, I've tried to climb, I've backtracked, I've looked in every corner and still could not find a way out. Please forgive me if this two situations are intended (which I believe, they are not) and correct me If I'm wrong.
Spoiler:
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Hi, thanks for playing. I was aware of the second bug but not the first. The maps are getting a lot of work done to solve progression issues.

Performance wise, yes it's on my radar. Again it's mainly caused by the maps, so I need to find a way to improve on this.

The 'lite' version is not really a route I want to go down but more of a concept to see what was causing the performance issues.
It basically strips all dynamic lights, animated textures (billboards) and the coloured lighting / subtle fog from the maps and seems to perform better.

I don't use a lot of dynamic lights so I shouldn't have to cut them really. I'd be interested to know the performance cost of things like the coloured lighting, that are a facility of ultimate doom builder really...
Time_Streamer

Post by Time_Streamer »

Good to know that you are into it. I really like the mood intended and the maps. I was starting to really dig it, especially the monsters (love that Imps play dead. Little bastards) and weapons. Not a big fan of the flamethrower tho, since it seems to send forward a single straight fire column instead of the typical fire cone, but hey, maybe that's just me. I also only used it in E1M1 of Doom2 to kill the imps in the shotgun secret area. Maybe I need to play more with it.

Things aside, I've been testing a little bit. It seems that part of your performance issues stubbornly migrated into your weapon+monster pack. It's way better there than in the mod, but problems are there too. Running a simple small Oblige map with it I found that switching the flashlight on in some more light intensive areas can indeed plummet your fps count. Like playing at 120 fps and suddenly it drops to 60ish. Even less if action is going on. Frames get back up once i reduce lightning amount by moving to another room, look at another angle or switch the flashlight off. Dynamic or colored, light plays a part in this.

Also, as a minor request, can you please fix the AI for rifleman soldiers? Dunno if the issue is present on the main mod, but with the weapon+monster pack 70% of the time these dudes just stay stuck running in the same place completely ignoring you. That way we can play around in other mapsets while you fix the main mod. Thanks :)
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

I'm currently playing through other maps with it and fixing a host of bugs. An update will be within 48 hours and will include the rifleman fix. I'll see if I can improve the trajectory of the flamethrower too.

(While the flamethrower will damage imps, they're one of the few enemies it won't actually set on set on fire.)

I too can tank FPS on many different maps with the flashlight. If I can't improve it I'll revert back to 'Steve's flashlight'.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

DoomwithaView wrote: V5.5b Siren - Mod Only
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHNoTv ... sp=sharing
Bugfix Bump!
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Here's some work going into a 'mini boss' encounter.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Tried this, fairly interesting little mod you got here
DitheredOutput

Re: SIREN TC | v0.6 - Demo

Post by DitheredOutput »

A feature I like from Deus Ex style games.

Locks can be hacked, with a hacking tool, and destroyed if necessary. In reality the locks will have a pretty high HP for only those desperate enough to waste a ton of ammo opening them.

The locks can have strength levels that will require upgrades to the hacking tool.
RockFarmer

Post by RockFarmer »

I had a lot of fun playing through the demo, very much looking forward to 1.0

Some of my favorite parts:
-I think the chatter from the human enemies is great. Especially the "no survivors" from the shotgunners. Very creepy and suited to the atmosphere.
-I love the yellowboy shotgun. The animations and sounds are great, and I like that the comparative tightness of the spread means that the regular combat shotgun remains useful for certain situations even after you get your hands on the YB
-The minigun is awesome, and I particularly like the fact that there's no spinup time, since IRL such a thing would only happen if you put a motor too weak for the job on the weapon. The secondary burst fire is something I wish we saw more of, very useful
-The grenades are fun and intuitive to use and pretty satisfying in their destructive potential
-The black smoke is a very exciting obstacle and the panicked rush to find one of the panels to stun it is already burned into my brain
-Having dialogue trees that can reveal secrets is a cool idea
-Hunting for locker codes in the environment itself is a nice way to reward exploration and attention to detail
-The talking appliances are good for a laugh

Suggestions for improvement:
-The shotgunners should have a bit more of a "windup" before they attack. As it stands they can kind of mow you down as soon as you've heard their alert sounds, before you even know where they are
-I wish some of the enemies had a little bit of glow of some sort to them to make them stand out in the dark a bit. It makes sense for the little facehugger types and the aliens to be tough to pick out, but the human enemies are tough to spot for me even in areas that I assume are meant to be brightly lit enough for it to be more of a straightforward firefight and less of that panicked battle from Aliens. It's a bit frustrating only being able to tell where a black ops trooper is from his muzzle flash. I wouldn't mind if they had just a slight glow to their visors or maybe were equipped with flashlights of their own.
-Speaking of Aliens, I'd love to see a flare/glowstick system to augment the flashlight, ala Aliens vs Predator Gold and such. Being able to throw down a few flares in a darkened area to give you a brief advantage in visibility, or to leave a trail of them behind you while you run to cover so you can see what's chasing you at a good distance would be nice
-The plasma rifle's primary fire kind of underwhelmed me. I was expecting a weapon that's mostly found in secrets to really be able to tear ass and saved it for the boss fight, which ended up being easier to beat with the YB's secondary fire
-Likewise on the flamethrower. I'd like it to have either a bit more range or be powerful enough to make it worth the risk of getting so close to the enemy. It would also be nice if it could stunlock or otherwise screw up the enemy's ability to attack while they're on fire.
-The accuracy/range upgrade option for the Titanium Ally was odd to me. I never really had much trouble landing headshots with it at any distance in its base form
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Hey, thanks for playing.

I agree with most of your points here. The shotgunners will telegraph more and the visored enemies will be getting brightmaps to aid visibility in low light.

I actually didn't realise the value of flares until you mention it now. I'll see what can be done there. They would certainly be useful for this mod.

I agree with the flamethrower. It's hard to get right, increasing range reduces how 'realistic' the flames appear. Basically I think it looks great if you stand still and fire it, not so much if you are moving. This weapon will be worked on more to nail this. Same with the damage output. It's a bit lacking.

The flamethrower won't damage imps like it will other enemies (something I have neglected to mention in the mod)
Which leads me onto the plasma rifle.

Bit of a dick move, but the mini boss is supposed to be immune to plasma fire. It's a bit temperamental, but it's supposed to give a visual indication that it is being healed by plasma fire. Again, at this stage, I haven't made this clear.

I find the plasma will wreak most other things as well as set them on fire.

The pistol will see improvements over greater distances. I guess doom's cuboid hitboxes are a little forgiving on that front.
RockFarmer

Post by RockFarmer »

Glad to hear it. I think the human vs human combat will be a lot more fun that way.

I want to say that I've seen flares implemented in other mods, but for the life of me I can't seem to find them at the moment. If I were to make a further suggestion (not sure how feasible it is): give the player infinite flares, but limit how many can be active at once, or have them recharge on a timer. AVP Gold let you have 3 burning at once, just enough to facilitate exploring and providing extra illumination in a fight, but not so many that it detracted from the atmosphere. Not limiting the overall supply made them more of a regular tool rather than yet another resource that players would hoard rarely use outside of the most critical of moments

I'm sure you'll get it right eventually. I know video game flamethrowers are difficult.

I think I may have just been using the plasma rifle wrong. I tried it out on some of the human enemies and it worked okay (though I still found myself preferring the minigun). I ended up saving it for tougher monster encounters on my second playthrough on hard, and it didn't seem to do much against the demons, see video below. Are they meant to have a high resistance to energy damage or is that a bug?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”