Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

I hope to get back to Beautiful Doom and update some stuff within the next few weeks and fix some bugs along the way.
Kzer-Za wrote:Another thing I wanted to ask about is BD_BaronOfHell. It has separate Missile and Melee states and these states have a different period between the last moment when he calls A_FaceTarget and the attack.
Thanks for pointing this out! Not sure how this happened but it sounds wrong. I'll be sure to take a look.
Kzer-Za wrote:So I noticed that for former humans firing bullets in the modern variant, you use not A_SpawnProjectile (with aim error added by angle and pitch parameters) but rather A_CustomBulletAttack (with aim error added by spread, and firing projectiles at puffs). What is the reason that you decided that A_CustomBulletAttack was better?
TBH this is a holdover from an earlier time when I thought this was an easier way to produce identical angle/spread values for projectiles. Technically, it's sort of easier to spawn multiple projectiles this way, but nowadays I'd rather make a custom function that fires actual projectiles than reuse A_CustomBulletAttack.

Since Beautiful Doom has existed for years, there are many places where old code is used, and it could be improved but I just haven't gotten around doing that. In that sense my new mod, Painslayer, is much more consistently coded (although it's arguably a smaller-scale mod).
Kzer-Za

Post by Kzer-Za »

Hi! I noticed an issue with CyberDemon. Since new rockets have +FORCERADIUSDMG, their splash damage actually damages CyberDemon. And theoretically this is right, but in vanilla he was immune to explosions because he often fires his own rockets at an obstacle between him and his target. This is very exploitable, and even if you don't want to deliberately exploit it, he still shaves off a significant portion of his health with his own rockets.

It is probably worth it to insert a LOF check before firing each rocket to prevent it. In my own set of tweaks for playing Doom I have made it this way:

Code: Select all

void CyberLOF_Missile()
	{
		if
		(
			!CheckLOF(offsetheight: 65, offsetwidth: -36) ||
			!CheckLOF(offsetheight: 47, offsetwidth: -36) || 
			!CheckLOF(offsetheight: 47, offsetwidth: -12) || 
			!CheckLOF(offsetheight: 65, offsetwidth: -12) || 
			!CheckLOF(offsetheight: 56, offsetwidth: -24)
		)
		{
			SetStateLabel("See");
		}
	}
// and in States, between each instance of A_Facetarget and FireCyberRocket
		CBDS ABC 2 A_Facetarget;
		TNT1 A 0 CyberLOF_Missile();
		CBDS D 3 FireCyberRocket();
I have made 5 checks because checking the spot from which he fires his rockets (nice touch moving the rocket spawn point so that they appear out of his launcher, BTW) is not enough since this check is a line, and rockets are rather large. So with one check he still launches them into corners before him. So I made 5 checks: for the spawn point and for points located from the spawn point at ± Rocket height/radius +1.
Kzer-Za

Post by Kzer-Za »

Also, since you moved the spot for firing rockets for CyberDemon, perhaps it is also worth it for Revenants too? I have experimented with it, and it seems this can be achieved by replacing A_SkelMissile with A_SpawnProjectile("RevenantTracer", x, y). I even found the suitable coordinates :) For the right rocket they would be 62 and 10, and for the left one — 60 and -19.

I hope I don't sound like I'm telling you what to do, but I was hoping you will find it useful :)
Jekyll Grim Payne

Kzer-Za wrote:Hi! I noticed an issue with CyberDemon. Since new rockets have +FORCERADIUSDMG, their splash damage actually damages CyberDemon. And theoretically this is right, but in vanilla he was immune to explosions because he often fires his own rockets at an obstacle between him and his target. This is very exploitable, and even if you don't want to deliberately exploit it, he still shaves off a significant portion of his health with his own rockets.
I completely forgot that I've done it or why I've done it. Probably because I wanted Modern rockets to damage Cyberdemon fully instead of just doing the impact damage, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the simplest solution would be to simply remove the flag from the spawned missile. Or remove XF_HURTSOURCE flag from the A_Explode call if the target of the rocket is a Cyberdemon. I'll make a note of this, thanks.

You can also join my discord server to provide bug reports: https://discord.gg/MJGdYjk
Kzer-Za

Post by Kzer-Za »

Hi! I'm sorry, I don't use discord. If you don't want issues cluttering this thread, can I send one to you via a private message? I think, I found one more.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Kzer-Za wrote:Hi! I'm sorry, I don't use discord. If you don't want issues cluttering this thread, can I send one to you via a private message? I think, I found one more.
Both are fine, I just check discord more often than I check the forums.
Kzer-Za

Post by Kzer-Za »

Okay :) Well, I found that the modern pistol alerts the enemies when you reload it by dry-firing, as if you actually fired. I mean, that when you run dry on the shotgun, assault rifle, or pistol, you can reload them by pressing the reload key, or also they are auto-reloaded if you press fire key. Reloading by reload key (either pistol or shotgun or assault rifle) never alerts enemies. Shotgun and assault rifle when reloaded by having 0 loaded ammo and pressing fire key do not alert enemies. But if you have 0 ammo in the pistol and press fire, they are alerted as though you actually made a shot.
Kzer-Za

Post by Kzer-Za »

Found one more thing:

Until now I have tried Beautiful Doom only with Doom II. Now I have launched the first Doom with it, and there is this warning in the console:

Code: Select all

Unknown texture: "SP_DUDE7"
Unknown texture: "SP_DUDE8"
Jekyll Grim Payne

Hey, just to let everyone know, I've added a public Notion board for Beautiful Doom, where you can see the logged ideas and their progress.
heidi2

Post by heidi2 »

Hi, I want to disable the high def blood splatter on walls because I think it looks out of place on low res wall textures. I've disabled all settings but it's still there. Any way?
MasterZeroFlash
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by MasterZeroFlash »

I am currently trying out this mod in combination with the map pack called "Wonderful Doom" and I have to say, the two work together just as brilliantly as their names do :)

EDIT: I just gibbed a Cacodemon by kicking it and 14:52-14:58 in this video, literally: https://youtu.be/MgL1EbLo8MQ?t=892
Last edited by MasterZeroFlash on Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

heidi2 wrote:Hi, I want to disable the high def blood splatter on walls because I think it looks out of place on low res wall textures. I've disabled all settings but it's still there. Any way?
I'm afraid at the moment the only option is to edit the decal definitions for them. Open DECALDEF.blood file with SLADE or any text editor and just add "/*" at the top (no quotation marks) to comment out the whole file, effectively disabling its contents.
heidi2

Post by heidi2 »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:I'm afraid at the moment the only option is to edit the decal definitions for them. Open DECALDEF.blood file with SLADE or any text editor and just add "/*" at the top (no quotation marks) to comment out the whole file, effectively disabling its contents.
that's more than enough, I didnt bother looking into pk3 files yet. I could even change the textures. Thanks for the answer!!

e: scaled down the textures to match the regular texture resolution and removed glossy effect and animation and it's perfect! sorry for making beautiful doom ugly again :wink:
heidi2

Post by heidi2 »

Now I only have one critique left: when using beautiful monsters (I think thats the relevant option) and you get for example the green blood with Hell Knights, the splatter is still red
heidi2

Post by heidi2 »

I've noticed a bug:

with the replaced BFALL texture, if it is used as translucent (GZDoom format) on a double sided linedef, it will run down and then be gone (instead of being constantly replaced from top). because of my lack of language skills heres a video https://youtu.be/Cl7pBMMsvGI I can provide wad too if necessary

Return to “Gameplay Mods”