Can't use WildMidi, no clear reason given either as to why.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Can't use WildMidi, no clear reason given either as to why.

Post by KynikossDragonn »

I wanted to try using freepats inside of GZDoom, I can't figure out how to make TiMidity++ to use it, so I try to use WildMidi and it just gives me a "Unable to create WildMidi MIDI device. Falling back to FluidSynth" without even telling me what's going wrong and where.

I have a /etc/wildmidi/wildmidi.cfg with the following in it:

Code: Select all

## wildmidi.cfg
## This is used to set and configure GUS patchsets to be used with WildMidi
## Please refer to the wildmidi.cfg(5) manpage for more details.

## Load the patchset from freepats
dir /usr/share/freepats
source /etc/freepats/freepats.cfg
I can confirm that WildMidi is working outside of GZDoom because I have working MIDI music in EasyRPG Player, even with this strange way of packing together the pats Void Linux's freepats package does. EasyRPG Player is one of the few things that SPECIFICALLY wants WildMidi, it doesn't have a option to build with FluidSynth.

It doesn't matter if I set "wildmidi_config" to "/etc/wildmidi/wildmidi.cfg" or to just "wildmidi.cfg" with the config symlinked to GZDoom's configuration directory, the result is always the same. The options menu doesn't even show any selectable .cfg files when you access the configuration selection menu either. (Is that menu even supposed to display anything at all?)

The Wiki doesn't give any hints how to make this part of ZMusic work either, so... I'm at a complete loss what's going on, the error message is entirely unhelpful.
Gez

Re: Can't use WildMidi, no clear reason given either as to w

Post by Gez »

What's your [wiki=CVARs:Audio#WildMIDI_settings]wildmidi_config CVAR[/wiki] like?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The WildMidi implementation in ZMusic does not use any system installation. It is a stripped down version of the core player that is being driven by GZDoom's internal MIDI sequencer. It never even looks at the file you listed unless you let the CVAR given by Gez point to it.
KynikossDragonn

Gez wrote:What's your [wiki=CVARs:Audio#WildMIDI_settings]wildmidi_config CVAR[/wiki] like?
I tried setting it exactly to "/etc/wildmidi/wildmidi.cfg" and it didn't work. I tried symlinking that file to ~/.config/gzdoom and just setting it to "wildmidi.cfg" and it also didn't work.
Gez

Post by Gez »

KynikossDragonn wrote:I tried setting it exactly to "/etc/wildmidi/wildmidi.cfg" and it didn't work.
Okay. As far as I understand, it should have worked.

Have you tried setting it directly to /etc/freepats/freepats.cfg?
KynikossDragonn

Gez wrote:Have you tried setting it directly to /etc/freepats/freepats.cfg?
Same result.

freepats.cfg doesn't have any dir commands in it to actually tell WildMidi where the actual files are so that wouldn't of worked in the actual thing.

EDIT: I symlink'd /usr/share/freepats/Tone_000 and /usr/share/freepats/Drum_000 AND /etc/freepats/freepats.cfg into the soundfonts directory in GZDoom, still didn't work. Into the ~/.config/gzdoom directory, still didn't work. In the WORKING DIRECTORY of GZDoom, still doesn't work.

I guess this is just plain broken and probably needs to be reported as a issue under the ZMusic github?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Do you get any error messages in the console?
KynikossDragonn

Nope, which is strange also because I can get FluidSynth error messages just fine. (stuff like program numbers not existing so it's substituting them)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I suspect your issue with Timidity++ is the same thing then. This is also being used as an internal synth driven by ZMusic's sequencer. It also does not use the system's installation.
KynikossDragonn

TiMidity++ works fine with SF2s I just don't know how to configure it to use PAT files instead of SF2s. I haven't worked with CFG's for TiMidity in a long time and the CFG that was installed in my distro seems to be specifically for WildMidi.

Return to “Technical Issues”