The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Kinsie »

Enjay wrote:Received one of those spam messages on my 'phone that read "hot single women in [insert name of village here] are waiting to meet you".

The thing is, I live in a village with 36 houses. I know everyone who lives here - regardless of whether they are hot, single or women. So it comes down to a possible list of one or two people - and they already know me (and the fact that I am married)!

Do you think that the spam may just be auto-generated? :lol:
"Hot Single Mole-People Are Burrowing Up From The Earth's Core To Meet And Enslave You" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

In this village, however, that seems more likely. :lol:
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by yum13241 »

Enjay wrote:In this village, however, that seems more likely. :lol:

These types of spam ads are literally abusing human psychology.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

1 minute long video. Feels satisfying to make!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

FETCHEZ LA VACHE!
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

*...You shouldn't put your nose on where it doesn't belong... But you do it anyway, because you are curious of what is gonna happen if you do it anyway... =)
Screenshot_Doom_20211212_151937.png
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:Received one of those spam messages on my 'phone that read "hot single women in [insert name of village here] are waiting to meet you".

The thing is, I live in a village with 36 houses. I know everyone who lives here - regardless of whether they are hot, single or women. So it comes down to a possible list of one or two people - and they already know me (and the fact that I am married)!

Do you think that the spam may just be auto-generated? :lol:
I think they come from a template. It's more likely the message is actually "Hot single women in $CITY_ON_LATEST_KNOWN_ADDRESS are waiting to meet you" and the mailer simply uses token replacement.

If the mailing address that often gets paired with your phone number replaces the "city" with the name of your village - that is probably why that's happening.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

DOOMPiter wrote:*...You shouldn't put your nose on where it doesn't belong... But you do it anyway, because you are curious of what is gonna happen if you do it anyway... =)
I can't tell what this is a reference to... I have an idea but I could be wrong.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

SanyaWaffles wrote:
DOOMPiter wrote:*...You shouldn't put your nose on where it doesn't belong... But you do it anyway, because you are curious of what is gonna happen if you do it anyway... =)
I can't tell what this is a reference to... I have an idea but I could be wrong.
Undertale. Said by Omega Flowey iirc.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

I get about 4 different versions of this on turn up most weeks into my spam email folder. My favorite is "Hot (Insert foreign nationality) women are looking for love near (Insert your town)"

This is made funnier by the fact that I live pretty far out in the country and used to have a neighbor with a cat called Love.
I just keep imagining a multi-cultural search party of attractive women with flashlights wandering around the bush trying to find a tabby cat! :lol:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

:lol:
A tangentially related, and more uncomfortable story, is that of a family that used to live near my parents house when I was very young. They had a cat, a black cat, and it wasn't too unusual in those less enlightened times for people to name a black coloured pet using a racial pejorative.

I guess at the time very few people really even considered it a problem. However, when a West Indian family moved in next door to them, and the family with the cat were out every night calling their pet by its name then, perhaps, it did become a bit more awkward. :?
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Enjay wrote::lol:
A tangentially related, and more uncomfortable story, is that of a family that used to live near my parents house when I was very young. They had a cat, a black cat, and it wasn't too unusual in those less enlightened times for people to name a black coloured pet using a racial pejorative.

I guess at the time very few people really even considered it a problem. However, when a West Indian family moved in next door to them, and the family with the cat were out every night calling their pet by its name then, perhaps, it did become a bit more awkward. :?

What's even more annoying is when they appear as website ads, and the site has Block/Fuck AdBlock. Fuck those sites. An adblocker is basically part of security now, since fake download buttons are becoming more and more common.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote::lol:
Like the Dam Busters dog?

Or Lovecraft's cat.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Same kind of energy but not the so-called "n word" at all. Another racial insult. Perhaps not quite as offensive... maybe, but still most definitely not acceptable.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Spent about 30 minutes retooling my Vulkan test program to use vk_khr_dynamic_rendering. Two hours of debugging later, I still have no idea why it doesn't work. calling vkBeginRenderingKHR crashes every single time I call it no matter what the info I provide is like. I think I filled out the required red tape of checking for the feature and enabling it, which I think is all you need to do. It reports that it's present, the extension is present, and I try enabling it, but it still crashes. It crashes in the same way if I disable the code to enable the feature for whatever it's worth.

There's only one sign of trouble that shows up, a validation message
Device Extension VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering support is incomplete, incorrect results are possible.
I guess this whole things qualifies as "incorrect results", but they were more extreme than I was expecting. Can I develop with a sane graphics API yet?

EDIT: I took the basic spinning cube demo from the SDK and modified it to load the extension and call the functions. This is extremely simple (it calls them with 0 attachments as I didn't want to port the code), but it doesn't crash. So now it's down to me trying to figure out if the bug lies in my code or within something like Volk. Probably mine, but I also can't figure out where it would happen. Hopefully this isn't too much of a pain to figure out.Well, telling volk to load its functions explicitly from a given device fixed it so... I figured the loader dispatcher would work correctly here, but apparently not. Loading the function pointers explicitly from my device (which isn't a problem since I only have one, of course) made it work. I'm so confused.

Return to “Off-Topic”