Brutal Doom Platinum v3.1 release! GZ focused Brutal Fork!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.1 release! GZ focused brutal for

Post by m1lk »

fucking awesome, cant wait to try this. i LOVE Dox's brutal doom fork, if this one is even better then good!
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

ummm so where is the new run animation on the weapons, I dont see it????

also will you ever release an HD Weapons pack??
rautamiekka
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by rautamiekka »

Lack of Zandronum support is the deal breaker, so I wish Zandronum devs would get the thing on the same line as GZD. They're working on it as evident on the SVN, but it's so slow to get a new release.
Vordenko
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Vordenko »

rautamiekka wrote:Lack of Zandronum support is the deal breaker, so I wish Zandronum devs would get the thing on the same line as GZD. They're working on it as evident on the SVN, but it's so slow to get a new release.
Honestly? There's already enough Brutal Doom versions that are Zandronum centric. Having one to add to the small pile of GZdoom focused ones won't hurt.

Besides, ZScript allows for a lot more flexibility with the code, and can make Brutal Doom's notorious bad performance on big mapsets a thing of the past (To some degree at least.)
rautamiekka

Post by rautamiekka »

Vordenko wrote:
rautamiekka wrote:Lack of Zandronum support is the deal breaker, so I wish Zandronum devs would get the thing on the same line as GZD. They're working on it as evident on the SVN, but it's so slow to get a new release.
Honestly? There's already enough Brutal Doom versions that are Zandronum centric. Having one to add to the small pile of GZdoom focused ones won't hurt.

Besides, ZScript allows for a lot more flexibility with the code, and can make Brutal Doom's notorious bad performance on big mapsets a thing of the past (To some degree at least.)
Guess I need to seriously look for them cuz I don't hear about Zandronum-centric BD mods much at all, and GZD-centric ones haven't been plentiful either and the ones that are GZD-centric are good while the Zandronum-centric ones aren't worth the attention, so far.
affandede

Post by affandede »

rautamiekka wrote:
Vordenko wrote:

Guess I need to seriously look for them cuz I don't hear about Zandronum-centric BD mods much at all, and GZD-centric ones haven't been plentiful either and the ones that are GZD-centric are good while the Zandronum-centric ones aren't worth the attention, so far.
Isn't BD itself Zandronum compatible?
rautamiekka

Post by rautamiekka »

affandede wrote:
rautamiekka wrote:
Vordenko wrote:[...]

Isn't BD itself Zandronum compatible?
That's exactly the thing. But Project Brutality 3.0 was said by the dev over at GitHub that what it uses doesn't exist in Zandronum (yet), therefore if this mod also doesn't work with Zandronum, it's all too easy to modify BD to break Zandronum.
EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

Zandronum can be a bit of a nightmare to develop for, and it's incredibly unlikely that gz and zandronum will merge or anything like that

Regardless, gzdoom multiplayer for platinum is planned
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Thanks for considering what I requested!

I figured I'd also ask about a bug and a feature. (heh) There's been a bug even back in Dox's addon when "Aiming Options" is set to "Hold" where if you run out of ammo while aiming, you'll reload, then once you fire it'll aim for a second, go back out of aiming, and continue firing. This also happens with Auto-Reload disabled. Do you know of a possible way to fix this in the mod? I'd assume its possible since other mods have hold-aiming that work fine. (ie PB, Hellrider, etc)

As for the feature, one thing that's always confused me was the point of the Machine Gun's Dual-Wield functionality, where you start holding the belt of ammo in one hand and the Machine Gun in the other. Does this actually do anything different to firing normally?
rautamiekka

Post by rautamiekka »

EmeraldCoasttt wrote:Zandronum can be a bit of a nightmare to develop for, and it's incredibly unlikely that gz and zandronum will merge or anything like that
Why both ?
determin1st

Post by determin1st »

actually, writing for zandronum is easier to me, because its test cycle is much shorter (despite decorate is less advanced, some A_* functions doesn't work etc). you write some ACS code, compile it (this is another obstacle - why slade can't auto-compile on save, eh, send a request at github), then alt-tab to the console and start the testmap - test the code. it takes a lot more time to start gzdoom (it also has problem with replacing actors with the same name), generally - shorter test cycle.

maybe it's not an issue for graphics or simpler things, but in my opinion (who cares :D ) gzdoom may align itself with some ugliness (shines) of zandronum, so any written zandronum mod becomes compatible with gz.
EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Thanks for considering what I requested!

I figured I'd also ask about a bug and a feature. (heh) There's been a bug even back in Dox's addon when "Aiming Options" is set to "Hold" where if you run out of ammo while aiming, you'll reload, then once you fire it'll aim for a second, go back out of aiming, and continue firing. This also happens with Auto-Reload disabled. Do you know of a possible way to fix this in the mod? I'd assume its possible since other mods have hold-aiming that work fine. (ie PB, Hellrider, etc)

As for the feature, one thing that's always confused me was the point of the Machine Gun's Dual-Wield functionality, where you start holding the belt of ammo in one hand and the Machine Gun in the other. Does this actually do anything different to firing normally?

I keep forgetting to fix that lol
As for the machine gun, that's purely decorative (it looks cool!)

Machine gun will likely get an actually functional weapon special in the future, probably an alternate grenade type
mamaluigisbagel

It does look cool, but I at first thought it made the spread more horizontal and less accurate so wanted some confirmation lol

Hope we can get an update to fix the aiming bug sometime soon. That's the only thing that's been bugging me a lot about this mod. (don't rush yourself, of course)
mamaluigisbagel

Reposting for a bug (which may be known) but got killed while sprinting, and the sprinting sprite got stuck on the screen.

EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

!!!Video editor needed!!!

A major thing holding back v1.2 is that I suck at video editing, and I want to have a showcase video for each update
If anyone could help me with that, that would be amazing!

Sorry this update has taken so long, I've had halo infinite to play on top of that :3

Here's a new feature for your troubles:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”