DBK02: The DBK Christmas Special - RC1 RELEASED!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Big Ol' Billy

Re: DBK02: The DBK Christmas Special - MAPPING BEGINS

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

DrJordo wrote:where is everyone else submitting their maps? is there a super-secret discord or something?
All the submissions should be in this thread, don't worry! As is often the case, the majority of submissions look to be coming in towards the end. That's fine, really, since we'll have a good chunk of December to compile and polish. In a lot of cases people seem to like getting some testing done before posting their V1's, which is a good practice if you have testers you trust and vibe with, but you can also post more WIP map versions here for feedback. Just try to get something in quick at this point!
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Speaking of submissions coming in towards the end!

Mini Maul v1
Plays MAP01
Music: D_XMAS02 ("Driving home for Christmas")
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Makai Tenshohoho v1.1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgdpn4aki8yll ... 1.wad?dl=1
Plays on MAP01
Music is D_ABMAP7

DrJordo

Post by DrJordo »

well, here's what I've been working on. I can't say that it lives up to the high standards set by other submissions, I am not super well versed in zdoom features. put it on MAP04, so load order shouldn't matter. known issues: food in diner causes graphical issues at certain angles. at least one rocket jump skip is possible.

The Space Station Burrito Fiasco
https://www.mediafire.com/file/o55n69dq ... o.wad/file

Can't seem to attach images to posts, guess you'll just have to play it!
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Cheers good Doctor! I can give it a spin and make a playtest vid for you, but I’ve got some things to do today, so look out here for the vid in around 20 hours or so from time of this post.
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Retail Exclusive v1.1 by Scrangus McBrickdad:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hwicbzu0ige1 ... 1.wad?dl=1
Plays MAP01
Music D_ABMAP5

glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

The Gravity of the Situation v0.99 by Zedonk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6t1da9y93xtpg ... 9.wad?dl=1
Plays MAP01
Music D_SBMAP4

glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

DrJordo wrote:The Space Station Burrito Fiasco
Here's a playtest vid for you Doctor:

There's a bunch of comments typed directly to screen in the vid, but here's a feedback rundown for you here:

The map is really solid, and you nailed the DBK style vibe of levity and humour in the right proportions. A really good medium length adventure that's not too difficult, can see this easily sitting in the first half of the set to add some pacing to some of the more obvious early set maps.

Having said that there are two main issues for mine that need to be addressed; Ammo is generous, which isn't an issue in itself, but that backpack really magnifies the issue and will also mess up continuous balance for those maps to follow. Simply removing the backpack and replacing it with another item in that spot will address this sufficiently. The other thing is multiple instances of "Door Camping combat." I feel just slight tweaks in location and timing of monster appearances in the areas that suffer most from this is all that needs to be done to address that one, the vid has exact locations of what I'm talking about.

I missed two secrets, so I'm not sure if you have the DBKringle toy secret in there, but if you don't you need one. If you do, you need to put up some of those 0_DBKAD poster textures in smatterings around the map to hint at its existence. Also related to the DBKringle toy, is your avatar here what you feel is the best representation of yourself? If so Bill will take that and make it the face of your personalised toy doll.

Other than that Bill will be along for some more feedback in the not too distant future and I thank you immensely for your work and efforts! Happy to have you onboard!
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Looks like I have a little catching up to do! Apologies for the delay, some IRL stuff popped up. Submissions are closed now while we start the compiling and polishing (although if you're out there with something almost done, give me a holler ASAP).

Particularly excited to get to Dr. Jordo's map, which from Glen's comments sounds like a very worthy inclusion. Looks like we're on track for a nice 12-maps-or-so episode, factoring in the intro/boss/credit maps. Good work y'all, will be back with more comments soon!
DrJordo

Re: DBK02: The DBK Christmas Special - NOW POLISHING/COMPILI

Post by DrJordo »

Thank you glen, for your constructive criticism. I've found it very helpful in making some changes to the map. Mostly small tweaks, but they should be for the better.
changelog:
-opened up some areas, moved some monsters around. Should help alleviate doorway combat syndrome.
-made ammo a bit more scarce, and the backpack is gone completely.
-shortened the process to get the toy, and made its presence in the map much more obvious. As for the image, yes, go ahead and use my avatar here as inspiration. I use it on discord too.
-fixed a wall in the red key room that wasn't scrolling properly
-maybe something i forgot?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qha0g7ea ... o.wad/file
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Thanks for your added work here bro, but I have to say with development in the late stage process and time ticking down, as well as a lack of response from you for the past week, that tweaks and polishes have already been made along the lines of what I brought up and that Bill echoed almost exactly in the same parts that I mentioned them. Note that careful consideration was made to your original work and changes done as tastefully as possible and in good faith. Here’s Bill’s runs on your old version and the tweaked version for you to check out, he only just got on it a few hours ago:

Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

DrJordo wrote:Thank you glen, for your constructive criticism. I've found it very helpful in making some changes to the map. Mostly small tweaks, but they should be for the better.
Apologies for the slow response once again, I've been trying to clear some things off my plate so that I can really start focusing on polishing and compiling this project. The good news is I love the map! The tone, overall feel, and length are really perfect for the project. I seemed to have had many of the same minor concerns as glenzinho, as you'll see from my playthrough linked above, which it looks like glen has largely handled already.

With the Christmas Eve deadline looming things will be getting a little hectic on the way to releasing the set—there's not much wiggle room when it comes to this particular deadline! However, I will take a quick look at your updated map and see what we might want to incorporate/merge with the tweaked version in the working compile—I feel like I owe you that after my slow response might have left things hanging. Again, though, really happy to have it in the set!

Big props to glenzinho btw for doing a ton of testing, tweaking, and preliminary compiling, which has really helped the project move confidently towards that finish line!
DrJordo

Post by DrJordo »

Don't worry about it! I really should have been more prompt with my update. really, the only huge changes in my version are merging two rooms, and making the toy much easier to find. that second change is the most important, I think.
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

DBK02 (RC1) is now out! Bill will update the OP a little later on but here it is for everyone else right now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtwrajczg2kv7 ... 1.zip?dl=1

IWAD: Doom 2
Freelook: Permitted, not necessary
Jump: No
Crouch: No
Swimming: Required--if not using freelook, make sure to have swim up/down controls bound
Difficulty settings: Coming soon!

MAP LIST

1. "And All Through The Hangar" - Big Ol' Billy

2. "Sold Out" - gaspe

3. "The Space Station Burrito Fiasco" - DrJordo

4. "The Gravity of the Situation" - Zedonk

5. "Toystore Tussle" - Hydromecha & Scrangus McBrickdad

6. "Mini Maul" - Big Ol' Billy

7. "Retail Exclusive" - Scrangus McBrickdad

8. "The Sweetvein Motherlode" - Doom_RO

9. "Bad Pizza" - glenzinho

10. "Planet of the Cyberscrooges" - Big Ol' Billy

11. "Makai Tenshohoho" - glenzinho

12. "December Bastards Krew" (credits)

13. "The DBK Holiday Special" (resource gallery)
Big Ol' Billy

Re: DBK02: The DBK Christmas Special - RC1 RELEASED!

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

RC1 is now linked in the first post! Enjoy everyone!

Return to “Levels”