Lower or change audio quality?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Acoma

Lower or change audio quality?

Post by Acoma »

Hey guys is there a way to run gzdoom with mono audio or lower the overall sfx quality to something below 11khz?
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Lower or change audio quality?

Post by axredneck »

Look at "Options -> Sound -> Advanced", you can set sample rate, resampler, EFX and HRTF there. Unsure about mono though...
Acoma

Post by Acoma »

yeah i know those options exist but the problem is that the only thing that changes audio quality is the openal resampler options and it only slightly downsamples audio depending on choice
the sample rate changer in advanced options does nothing
the sample rate options in the module replayer options does nothing
and all of the old snd_ cvars have been deprecated since long ago
i only started using gzdoom since the 3.0 iterations and the audio options have never been fixed. my guess of the reason is because the goal of gzdoom was to modernize the games and that meant implementing FMOD and leaving the old audio driver methods behind

was just wondering if anyone knew of a workaround to achieve legacy style audio since all of the options seem to not do anything
nova++

Post by nova++ »

Have you hit the "restart sound" menu option after changing them? One of the first changes I make after a new install of gzdoom is to switch the resampler to nearest for nice crunchy audio. I recall it being in the OpenAL options specifically, I don't remember if you can switch to/away that.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Acoma wrote: was just wondering if anyone knew of a workaround to achieve legacy style audio since all of the options seem to not do anything

You can't. Legacy audio means having an 8-sound stereo mixer, not a full 3D sound backend that can mix hundreds of sounds. The entire sound system was written to be able to handle a large number of sounds and would horribly break down if it was constrained to vanilla limits - it is geared towards true 3D positioning on modern, capable hardware.

While theoretically the mixer *could* be set to 11kHz output, keep in mind that the output format also must be able to handle the music, and that just needs 44kHz to not sound like garbage.
As a result some low end options have to remain disabled
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

If you want the sounds to "sound" 11kHz, you could use OpenALSoft's bsinc24 resampler.

Otherwise, you're probably better off with Chocolate Doom, or some such...
Acoma

Post by Acoma »

Graf Zahl wrote: You can't. some low end options have to remain disabled
okay. thanks for confirming this atleast, i guess ill just live with the resampler, in the meantime i also realized that windwos 10 has a built-in mono audio option in the ease of access options
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

The other option is to record the sound and 'fix' it with something like Audacity
and place it into the pwad with Slade3. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Return to “General”