How difficult is it to make MIDI and maps for Doom 2?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
EmerphiS

How difficult is it to make MIDI and maps for Doom 2?

Post by EmerphiS »

How do I have many ideas to create maps and put music on them, but my problem is in how the maps are made and how do you pass the audios to MIDI packages to put and play, can someone help me?
Gez

Re: How difficult is it to make MIDI and maps for Doom 2?

Post by Gez »

hat depends on your skill, talent, and inspiration, but it's generally pretty simple.

For maps, as long as you remember that Doom mapping is fundamentally 2D mapping so as long as you don't try to get too fancy with non-vertical walls or overlapping areas (those are possible in GZDoom, but complicated to set up), it'll be very quick and easy. Just draw shapes as if on a overhead plan for your buildings.

There are dozens upon dozens of tutorials. Just do a web search for "doom mapping tutorial" and you'll find plenty of stuff, in both pages and Youtube videos. So whether you prefer to read or watch, you'll find what you need.

For music, well, I'm not really the right person to answer. But it's a pretty simple technology. Anyone can plop down notes in a music sequencer like Sekaiju. Though if they don't know anything about music composition, it'll probably sound awful in the end!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Making DOOM2 maps is not difficult.
All You need is an editor like Ultimate Doom Builder or Slade3, and the IWAD from an official Doom game or FreeDoom.

To use an editor and to construct maps, there are many tutorials available
to mention just a few.

See What is MIDI
To create a midi file, that is another ball of wax.
I have no talent to create music, so for me it is difficult.
While most midi editors incorporate a keyboard to play one or more notes, that is not ideal.
You should have a midi keyboard and a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), eg Sekaiju or Aria Maestosa are freeware, and good speakers.

See also chapter 10.3. Creating your own MIDI files or read the whole book.
EmerphiS

Post by EmerphiS »

Gez wrote:hat depends on your skill, talent, and inspiration, but it's generally pretty simple.

For maps, as long as you remember that Doom mapping is fundamentally 2D mapping so as long as you don't try to get too fancy with non-vertical walls or overlapping areas (those are possible in GZDoom, but complicated to set up), it'll be very quick and easy. Just draw shapes as if on a overhead plan for your buildings.

There are dozens upon dozens of tutorials. Just do a web search for "doom mapping tutorial" and you'll find plenty of stuff, in both pages and Youtube videos. So whether you prefer to read or watch, you'll find what you need.

For music, well, I'm not really the right person to answer. But it's a pretty simple technology. Anyone can plop down notes in a music sequencer like Sekaiju. Though if they don't know anything about music composition, it'll probably sound awful in the end!
thanks, it really has been difficult for me to find tutorials or in forums since I never find them in my language, I suppose as you say I must put more effort, in fact once I tried Doom bulider, programming things was the difficult thing
EmerphiS

Post by EmerphiS »

Kappes Buur wrote:Making DOOM2 maps is not difficult.
All You need is an editor like Ultimate Doom Builder or Slade3, and the IWAD from an official Doom game or FreeDoom.

To use an editor and to construct maps, there are many tutorials available
to mention just a few.

See What is MIDI
To create a midi file, that is another ball of wax.
I have no talent to create music, so for me it is difficult.
While most midi editors incorporate a keyboard to play one or more notes, that is not ideal.
You should have a midi keyboard and a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), eg Sekaiju or Aria Maestosa are freeware, and good speakers.

See also chapter 10.3. Creating your own MIDI files or read the whole book.
is all that necessary to put a fear factory or necro song on map02, E1m3 or map30? the truth is that I have experience creating rhythms, my problem is to put them in the game, in case of not having given me to understand, still thanks, I will check the MIDI link
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

EmerphiS wrote:is all that necessary to put a fear factory or necro song on map02, E1m3 or map30? the truth is that I have experience creating rhythms, my problem is to put them in the game, in case of not having given me to understand, still thanks, I will check the MIDI link
So, you have the music already and just want to bring it into your map?
That is fairly easy, all you need is a lump editor like Slade3.
No need for a music studio :) .

Music tracks have specific names for each map of a game.
Therefore, simply name your music the same as the lump for a certain map and bring it into your map with Slade3,
to replace the existing music lump:
if your map is for MAP01 then it would be D_RUNNIN or for E2M3 it would be D_E2M3

Or, if you want to give your music a specific name, then do this with MAPINFO as per the example given

Code: Select all

map MAP01 "Sewers of Misery"
{
    // ...
    music = "MISRSEWR", 1 // Track #1
    // ...
}
For example, in one of my maps I have a MAPINFO lump specifying the midi track HUB.mid for MAP01

map map01 "atmosFEAR : The Rift"
{
    sky1 = "purpley", 0.0
    smoothlighting
    lightning
    music = "HUB"
    next = "map01"
}
Spoiler:
Note:
The 64bit version of Slade3 does not play midi files out of the box.
This can be remedied by following the settings in this link.
EmerphiS

Post by EmerphiS »

Kappes Buur wrote:
EmerphiS wrote:is all that necessary to put a fear factory or necro song on map02, E1m3 or map30? the truth is that I have experience creating rhythms, my problem is to put them in the game, in case of not having given me to understand, still thanks, I will check the MIDI link
So, you have the music already and just want to bring it into your map?
That is fairly easy, all you need is a lump editor like Slade3.
No need for a music studio :) .

Music tracks have specific names for each map of a game.
Therefore, simply name your music the same as the lump for a certain map and bring it into your map with Slade3,
to replace the existing music lump:
if your map is for MAP01 then it would be D_RUNNIN or for E2M3 it would be D_E2M3

Or, if you want to give your music a specific name, then do this with MAPINFO as per the example given

map MAP01 "Sewers of Misery"
{
    // ...
    music = "MISRSEWR", 1 // Track #1
    // ...
} 
For example, in one of my maps I have a MAPINFO lump specifying the midi track HUB.mid for MAP01

map map01 "atmosFEAR : The Rift"
{
    sky1 = "purpley", 0.0
    smoothlighting
    lightning
    music = "HUB"
    next = "map01"
} 
Spoiler:
Note:
The 64bit version of Slade3 does not play midi files out of the box.
This can be remedied by following the settings in this link.
thanks dude! Yes, that really helps me a lot, putting music on my own maps even this one too many but it would serve me in the future, seriously, thank you very much

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”