Tinnitus

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Tinnitus

Post by Kappes Buur »

During older forum thread conversations some members have mentioned that they suffer from Tinnitus. In my case it
is very mild and only slightly distracting.

So I have come across this news blurb today.

Shark Tank is a popular TV series, here in Canada and the States, where entrepreneurs pitch new products/services to entice the sharktank into investing their money.

I do not know if the claims are true or not, but for those with extreme Tinnitus, it may be worth a try.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Tinnitus

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hi, my mom also suffers from tinnitus. Around a year back I encountered this product on facebook:
https://www.flareaudio.com/products/calmer

...and bought it, just out of curiosity, if it will work. Well, it does work, partly. I doesn't entirely remove tinnitus, but it lowers its rate and annoyance to bearable levels.
Rebel Clover
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Rebel Clover »

I tend to suffer from Tinnitus, although only in my right ear, and in most cases, it's just a minor annoyance.

I tend to go with a lower tech solution of having some kind of background noise. I just crank the laptop's fans up to max, and let it run! I don't see the point in buying anything new if I can wrangle something together from what I have.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ramon.dexter wrote:Hi, my mom also suffers from tinnitus. Around a year back I encountered this product on facebook:
https://www.flareaudio.com/products/calmer

...and bought it, just out of curiosity, if it will work. Well, it does work, partly. I doesn't entirely remove tinnitus, but it lowers its rate and annoyance to bearable levels.
I might check those out. I have tinnitus and hypersensitivity to certain sounds - exactly what the product claims to address. They're not particularly expensive so might be worth a go. I'll mention them to my audiologist the next time I see him too.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Here i'm still suffering the buzzing. I think that's a scam. There are hearing aids or whatever they are named but they are tailored for each person and frequencies.
I just hear music when it's worse.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

There's a couple places I experience Tinnitus-like symptoms, including, of all things, a restroom in a gas station near the airport in my town, which I cannot for the life of me clarify.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

It only becomes unbearably annoying when y're trying to sleep. Had lots of problems mitigating it. I remember my mother brought some wonder-product one day in a blue plastic bottle, which was made of a type of fern which survived the nuclear explosion in Hiroshima. And it worked - in a few days, it eradicated the tinnitus entirely. I wish I could preserve that bottle, so I could tell you what exactly was it.
Apart from that, various ambient sounds made to loop are also great help. The typical "sleep well with heavy thunderstorm" Youtube videos are neat, but I found industrial-type foleys and drones a trillion times better. Half-life 1 and Doom 3 has the very best of these. I like listenin' these also when I'm reading something, as listening to music or radio kinda deviates my attention from the reading material.
Muusi
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Muusi »

Suffered from tinnitus for nearly all my life. There's really no way for me to sleep in absolute silence. Would be nice to know what event caused the tinnitus so early on...
Crazy Toni

Post by Crazy Toni »

Tinnitus? yeah i have it sometimes for little while

Have you guys tried this?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

As someone who's had tinnitus all my life, that does absolutely nothing for it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, I found several videos a few years back demonstrating that technique. It does nothing for me.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I think those videos are made to mock us people who suffer tinnitus.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Tinnitus happens for different reasons in different people. Personally mine + hearing damage I think is due to shooting firearms at a young age with no hearing protection (stupid irresponsible adults). I get intermittent "attacks" where I'll go temporarily partially deaf in one or both ears and get a loud ringing tone, usually for about 5-10 minutes before it fades. I also get more minor instances where it gradually fades up in quiet environments. The skull-drumming works great to interrupt these episodes for me near-instantly.

8-)
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

drfrag wrote:I think those videos are made to mock us people who suffer tinnitus.
Sometimes different mechanisms/treatments work. Your mileage may vary.

I sometimes experience Tinnitus, and it sometimes can trigger a sensory overload episode if the effect is "loud" enough... or be the result of a sensory overload.

I wonder if part of it is due to the way my brain is wired and not specifically due to any condition... but then I remember I had constant ear infections as a kid. But every time I go to the ear doctor they say my hearing is good. Plus the tinnitus is a more recent thing.

So lord knows what the hell causes it.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I've got tinnitus that is just ever so slightly louder in my left ear than in my right ear due to an odd ear infection about 18 months ago; the infection cleared up but the tinnitus has stuck. It makes me quite anxious to think I've lost some hearing in that ear, but an audiologist said they're both okay, so I don't know what in the world is going on. It never really bothers me... until it does. I'd like to say that if both my ears were at the same level, it really wouldn't bother me because I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember!

Return to “Off-Topic”