how to quick save in zdoom??

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
doomplayer_2474

how to quick save in zdoom??

Post by doomplayer_2474 »

does anyone know the thing to type in console to bind a key to quick save and load the quick save I've tried to look it up but none of the console commands work pls help :cry:
Enjay

Re: how to quick save in zdoom??

Post by Enjay »

It's the same keys as the original Doom - so you can hit F1 to see the help screen. ;)

Quicksave: Hit F6, pick a save slot (name it) then when you want to quicksave again, hit F6. It will ask if you want to quicksave over the previous save, but you only have to press Y to confirm. I don't know if that behaviour can be overridden.

Quickload: Hit F9, again it will ask for confirmation.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by wildweasel »

The F-keys can, in fact, be rebound from the console and have associated console commands. The F6 key is quicksave, while the F9 key is quickload. So if, for some reason, you wanted to set that to the A button on your Xbox controller, you'd pull down the console and put in bind Pad_A quicksave. The yes/no prompts in the menus have long since been changed to actual menu selections, too, so you can also answer them with the gamepad if you're so inclined.

There is another option, too; GZDoom lets you save Quake-style as well. With the console command save <filename> and load <filename>, you can give a specific save file name for it to save or load, without prompting. Be warned, however, that binding keys to this means they'll only ever be associated to that one file, no matter what game you're playing!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer
Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Post by drfrag »

Enjay wrote:Quicksave: Hit F6, pick a save slot (name it) then when you want to quicksave again, hit F6. It will ask if you want to quicksave over the previous save, but you only have to press Y to confirm. I don't know if that behaviour can be overridden.
Actually that doesn't always work, if you create all the saves in the same session you can't choose besides you can select the slot too with save or quickload twice. In LZDoom i fixed that long ago and you can select only with quicksave but really it's not worth changing it.
doomplayer_2474

Post by doomplayer_2474 »

Enjay wrote:It's the same keys as the original Doom - so you can hit F1 to see the help screen. ;)

Quicksave: Hit F6, pick a save slot (name it) then when you want to quicksave again, hit F6. It will ask if you want to quicksave over the previous save, but you only have to press Y to confirm. I don't know if that behaviour can be overridden.

Quickload: Hit F9, again it will ask for confirmation.
yeah that is a way to do it but I had a key bind that would quick save and quick load without having to name it or anything it but I reset my settings to default because I messed up something and now that key bind is gone and I cant find the key bind command I used any were. I might just have to use f6 and f9
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

doomplayer_2474 wrote:yeah that is a way to do it but I had a key bind that would quick save and quick load without having to name it or anything it but I reset my settings to default because I messed up something and now that key bind is gone and I cant find the key bind command I used any were.
widweasel's post pretty much tells you how to do it.

type the following at the console

bind [key] "save [filename] [description]"
bind [key] "load [filename]

Where [key] is the key you want to bind, [filename] is the name of the file and [description] is the description that will appear in the save/load dialogue.

e.g.

bind s "save mysave MyCoolGame"
bind l "load mysave"

Return to “General”