Operation Apollyon v1.7: Anniversary Edition (11/01/21)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Spaceman333

Re: Operation Apollyon v1.6b: Endless Fantasy (02/05/21)

Post by Spaceman333 »

Gave the newest version a spin and the new features are indeed sexy.

I really like how the Minigun looks and works. Feels intimidating and powerful.
Proxy mine looks cool and I like how it falls down to the floor. I originally thought of it being sticky to walls and enemies, but these work nicely.

--

After playing some more, these thoughts came to me:
  • I actually now miss the M60 and kinda wish it could also exist alongside the new Minigun. M60 in the UF version was really useful by being immidiately effective - pull it out and instantly stunlock/devastatate groups or single targets with mildly explosive, yet safe bullets. Ammo use is quite efficient and controllable due to accuracy, low-ish rate of fire and each bullet being usable individually.

The Minigun in the current format is cumbersome as a BFG weapon in comparison. I do love the spin-up feature, the mean look, firing sound tho.

I think to work alongside the M60 - sharing the same ammo pool - the Minigun's speciality could be intense burst damage, coupled with wide projectile saturation. This would mean the price of spin-up delay and faster ammo consumption would pay off with much higher damage, bigger spread, more explosiveness radius.

Between the M60 and Minigun, the choice for the player would be between efficient long range suppressing devastation VS close range spray of inaccurate excessive screen clearing rapid obliteration.
  • The Railgun's ammo sharing with the Minigun/M60 bothers me. It makes me hesitate using the railgun, since the M60 can save me from a tough situation more effectively and because the HEIAP ammo is rare.

I'd love to change the Railgun to use Ice Ammo instead, inspired the by the Mercury Bow sniper rifle from the bungie game Oni, that is a lethal rifle that would fire super-cooled liquid mercury, with a sexy blue trail to go with it. It won't freeze, just fire a penetrating spear of icy liquid metal essentially.

More so, I'm thinking adding wall-piercing - but mitigating it with limiting how many times the projectile could rip would be pretty good too.
  • The proxy mine seems to have occasional issues detecting targets, while also being slightly odd to not use the same shrapnel explosion as the regular bouncy grenade. I think the detection could be improve, the radius of detection increased, while essentially using the same explosive payload as the regular grenade.
--
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

In addition, if you convert all your sounds to .ogg (Audacity can be useful here), you'll save basically half the sounds file size.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

The proxy mine causes a lot of unintentional self damage with the shrapnel on. I'll see if i can fix it, but until then, it's off. I'll see about the other issues, too.

And i don't think i'll be adding wall-piercing to the railgun.
alexdoomguy
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by alexdoomguy »

my first public weapon mod. compatible with lzdoom, gzdoom and zandronum.
Hmmm, interesting, and this one should definitely work on Zandronum? huh?
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

Sorry, i forgot to remove that.
Thanks to the way mid-reload shotgun firing works, it's not ZD compatible.
Karl515
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavourOS
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Karl515 »

An extracted and tidied up version of the mod.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fcntGs ... sp=sharing
I made this for anyone who wants to see the inner workings of the mod or just want a neater/cleaner internal system.
SaveTheDoomer

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

I like the sprite artwork and the hud... one thing that i've noted is that the triple shotgun and a couple of other weapons ignore infiniteammo.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Karl515 wrote:An extracted and tidied up version of the mod.
I made this for anyone who wants to see the inner workings of the mod or just want a neater/cleaner internal system.
Are there any stat changes to the weapons in this one?

I'll probably use this clean up version as a base for the modifications I've thought about in this thread - when I get enough free time to do it.
Karl515
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavourOS

Post by Karl515 »

Spaceman333 wrote:

I'll probably use this clean up version as a base for the modifications I've thought about in this thread - when I get enough free time to do it.
Nope, just the original files.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Karl515 wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:

Nope, just the original files.
Cool, thank you!
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

As of late, this has become my go-to overpowered weapon mod. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but by god, is it fun to play. Easily has the best flamethrower I've seen in a Doom mod. Special mention has to go out to the fire axe which is just amazing.

I do wish weapons did slightly less damage at times (Or there was an option to scale damage output). It's great with hard and slaughter maps, however the mod makes normal levels a bit too easy.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

CustomDoom can be your friend. It might allow you to customize output damage. And i think somebody even resurrected the thread recently!
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I can't believe I missed this mod. I just got around to playing around with it and I had a great time overall. It's not a super complicated or flashy mod, but the weapon animations are really smooth and sound effects add that extra oomph to them to make them feel powerful.

Overall, a fun mod worth checking out. Sometimes, simple is always better.
Shadow_Wulfe

Post by Shadow_Wulfe »

Love it so far. Trying it out with Switcheroom 1.

One question I have is how to activate the HUD? None of the options that I have tried seem to activate any sort of HUD.
LossForWords

Re: Operation Apollyon v1.7: Anniversary Edition (11/01/22)

Post by LossForWords »

Try adjusting your hud size, that might be the problem.
On another note, guess who's back?
Finally updating this bad boy, with a rather substantial refurbishing, may i add.
Every weapon, save for the Napalm Cannon and Minigun, has been reshot, resprited and reorganized, sounds have been crunched down to .ogg, several glitches have been fixed, a few things changed here and there, the Minigun has a new altfire, and Zandronum compatibility has been properly restored (huh?), and the internals no longer look like a nightmare.
Have fun!

DOWNLOAD HERE (v.1.7)
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20211208_032954.png
Screenshot_Doom_20211208_185204.png

Return to “Gameplay Mods”