The Legend of DOOM (v1.1.0)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The Legend of DOOM TC

Post by Captain J »

Super congrats, detwelve. Your TC is featured in the latest video by Vinny of Vinesauce.

He gave you the feedback as well and i say, the potential is getting larger and this is a good sign. Thanks again for the neat work :D
Eltee

Post by Eltee »

Hello, old #zdoom irc lurker here (on a new account since my reactivation email dates back to 2010). That's not relevant.

I'm extremely happy you made this! A bit disappointed in myself on seeing it though... why? Well. Back in 2009, I made.. I guess you could say a small prototype for something that could have basically been this. But I'm made entirely of scrapped projects.. but it brings me much joy to see something like this happens! Thank you for making this TC.

If anyone cares, here is old footage of said prototype.. as you can tell it was rough ;)

Between finding out Combined Arms has a sweet Link class now, and this TC blowing my mind.. it's like a decade old dream come true.

I was compelled to share, but this is your show. Back to obscurity. See y'all next decade.
HolyHeadcrab

Post by HolyHeadcrab »

I'm very interested in this!
I do have a question though: Are the enemy drops fixed like they are in the NES version? The whole reason for the old man tip "10th enemy has the bomb" was because you could predictably get bombs from the 10th enemy if you killed them without taking damage AFAIK.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

HolyHeadcrab wrote:I'm very interested in this!
I do have a question though: Are the enemy drops fixed like they are in the NES version? The whole reason for the old man tip "10th enemy has the bomb" was because you could predictably get bombs from the 10th enemy if you killed them without taking damage AFAIK.
Had a peek inside the mod, indeed they are.
detwelve

Post by detwelve »

Captain J wrote:Super congrats, detwelve. Your TC is featured in the latest video by Vinny of Vinesauce.
Wow, very cool! After about half way through I was already into the source adding things to a 1.0.3 release (I could swear Darknut shot swords, but I think Vinny is right and they don't). Man, it was hard watching him encounter those bugs in level 3. It's crazy watching someone else play something you made and have played so much in a particular way. Anyway, it's super motivating and I'm glad he stuck it out a bit even though he got hit with some unfun bugs. Seeing this kind of direct feedback is cool, valuable, and scary.
Eltee wrote:I'm extremely happy you made this! A bit disappointed in myself on seeing it though... why? Well. Back in 2009, I made.. I guess you could say a small prototype for something that could have basically been this. But I'm made entirely of scrapped projects.. but it brings me much joy to see something like this happens! Thank you for making this TC.
Thank you! This looks great and like something you can be proud of. I honestly see things in each of the other Zelda projects that I think were done better. Your walls, for example. And the sword sprites and animation look way better than when I tried to do some. It would have also been more difficult to do the whole game at the time because ZScript hadn't yet been introduced to the engine.
HolyHeadcrab wrote:I do have a question though: Are the enemy drops fixed like they are in the NES version? The whole reason for the old man tip "10th enemy has the bomb" was because you could predictably get bombs from the 10th enemy if you killed them without taking damage AFAIK.
The drop rates adhere to the same logic as the original. But now that I look back at all of the rules, you are indeed correct. There is a bit of logic missing that should guarantee a drop after a 10 monster killing spree and if that 11th monster is killed by a bomb the drop should be a bomb.

By killing 10 enemies without themselves being hit (this includes encounters which don’t damage Link), the runner can force the 11th enemy to drop an item. If this enemy is killed by a bomb explosion, the item drop will be a bomb. If the enemy is killed by anything else, the drop will be 5 rupees.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I know this isn't accurate to the original game, but may I request an addon? I'd like to have spawners have a 100% chance and enemies to only spawn once/never respawn once killed and also to not disappear on map change or based on distance. While games like Zelda or Metroid are designed in such a way that resources are never going to run out, they have one thing in common with typical JRPGs. Once you hit max level or in this case, acquire all the equipment and upgrades, you lose any motivation to defeat regular enemies and try to avoid them whenever possible, as at that point they only exist to drain your health, ammo and time. I'm a completionist and for me a task can be as mundane as it wants, if it has a definite end, I'll go for it. Unless it's smth like the remaining 459 Korok seeds in BotW which only net you golden poop.

Hexen kept me from playing it until I found out there's a mod that disables the infinitely respawning ettins, aka script 255 lol
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Speaking of addon, would be cool to see Zelda 2 version of this. Certainly not a request but sending some good idea here!
detwelve

Post by detwelve »

StroggVorbis wrote:I know this isn't accurate to the original game, but may I request an addon? I'd like to have spawners have a 100% chance and enemies to only spawn once/never respawn once killed and also to not disappear on map change or based on distance.
I'm going to do a bugfix release a v1.0.3 this weekend that has some fixes like clock damage and a few stray spawners that trigger too soon. I can't promise that it'll be in that one but I think that should be pretty doable. It would also put in place some infrastructure enabling overworld memory for bomb walls like exists in the dungeons. At one point I had actually experimented with a cvar/Nightmare setting that lets you do the opposite so that the spawners always respawn as soon as their spawns were dead. It's just non stop monsters spawning on top of you. I didn't include it in the final version because it's pretty impossible.

Captain J wrote:Speaking of addon, would be cool to see Zelda 2 version of this. Certainly not a request but sending some good idea here!
Yeah that'd be cool! It'd be a lot more difficult to adapt as a 1:1 remake in 3D, but I've been thinking about ways to make at least a decent homage. My current thought is that you could do the overworld as a top down camera with voxel models and then when you hit the enemies take the player to a randomly generated 1st person arena. The cave/travel areas in between would be another challenge, but it's probably doable to come up with some decent 1st person caves. Dungeons would be tough too. Maybe some kind of Crash Bandicoot style linear 3D world would work. I know folks have done side scrollers with GZDoom, but I don't know if I'd be interested in a true 1:1 remake vs something that adds a 3D or Doom like element.
Willytor
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Willytor »

Is compatibility for combined arms' past linked class possible? i like this tc but i'm not the biggest fan of how the weapons actually feel
detwelve

Post by detwelve »

Willytor wrote:Is compatibility for combined arms' past linked class possible? i like this tc but i'm not the biggest fan of how the weapons actually feel
Straight up compatibility would be difficult, but the author of Combined Arms has kindly made me aware of the mod and some things they are doing under the hood that could improve weapons handling. Now that some time has past and I've put out some bug fixes and quality of life improvements based on feedback, the plan is to start on a v1.1 that will address weapon handling, dual wielding, and hopefully proper VR support.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Minor bug report:

Boomerangs! So basically Goriya boomerangs should bounce off the small shield. Then for Player side, you carry both boomerangs instead of the Magic Boomerang superseding the Wooden Boomerang.

Basically I went to Dungeon 2 and got the Magic Boomerang first. Then went to Dungeon 1 and got the Wooden Boomerang. At first I thought the Wooden Boomerang replaced the Magic Boomerang, but I was actually carrying both.

I would address the Goriya boomerang vs small shield issue first. The ability to carry both boomerangs is hardly game breaking..

Fun side note: Ropes, the snakes, are bloody evil in this TC and I love it!
detwelve

Post by detwelve »

kalensar wrote:Boomerangs! So basically Goriya boomerangs should bounce off the small shield. Then for Player side, you carry both boomerangs instead of the Magic Boomerang superseding the Wooden Boomerang.
Good catches! I'll make sure to fix it so the wooden boomerang doesn't pickup if you get silver first (if you get the wooden one first, the silver will replace it) and add boomerang damage to the small shield list.

On a side note - I started playing with the Sheeld class you sent and it's working really well! Definitely feels better to have the shield properly disconnected from the HUD and is a bit more predictable on the blocking angles.
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

detwelve wrote:
On a side note - I started playing with the Sheeld class you sent and it's working really well! Definitely feels better to have the shield properly disconnected from the HUD and is a bit more predictable on the blocking angles.
Yay!!! You can remove the Reflective and ShieldReflection flags from that actor as those cause the projectiles to bounce and cause damage. The only part it absolutely needs is the Shootable flag. Feel free to message me on any tips or tricks you might need. I took me a lot of play testing to get that dang thing positioned right for it to work like it does in the mods I placed it in, but I think I sent you the full working version with the appropriate placing on the Ready State to get it to work without much else needed. A_DropItem("SHEELD', 15, 15)
You can increase or decrease its coverage area with its Height and Radius stats. Do not give it the +SOLID flag or it turns into an invisible wall. That positioning on the A_dropitem command gave SHEELD the ability to deflect from a Crosshair positioning more accurately since my mods use the reflective flags. For Legend of Doom the reflective flags are unnecessary.
dartomic
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by dartomic »

So far this is my favourite Doom TC. I've almost beaten it.

A few bugs I've noticed, (some might not be bugs):

At the entrance to Level 7, in Hyrule by the pool of water:
Ghosts sometimes come through the wall at the North West corner of the rock, if I had just come from the grave yard.

Across from Level 5, Map06:
If I go to the end of the stairs blocked by rock, and touch the wall directly at the end of the stairs. Something spawns on the other side of the rock wall, and can damage me when I touch the wall. I ran to the other side, and it looks like one of those blue Leever monsters spawns there, and can not come up from its state of being in the dirt. It was just stuck there and I couldn't kill it.

At the west side of Hyrule, at the area right after going going through the forest puzzle, and right before the graveyard:
Sometimes Lynel creatures spawn behind the white wall and can shoot me through it. I might have come from the graveyard when that happened.

Level 05, Map06:
Some of the lava pits don't block you from crossing if you don't have the step ladder yet.

I made it to Level 8 Map09: Lion. I don't think I picked any of the rings up, and I don't see them in my inventory. But now my hearts are showing in quarter units. It may have started once I picked up the heart container that gave me 13 hearts.

Also; I know you made it like this on purpose, but I like having to use bombs to open the secret entrances. It kind of makes the bombs more valuable. Although;, I don't recommend fixing that until, or unless, Hyrule is fixed to remember which secret doors I've opened. Otherwise that would cost too many bombs to find out if I have already found an entrance that I see again. I saw that you mentioned this bug had something to do with it being the first map in the game. If that's the case, then maybe the first map could be copied over to the next unused map slot, and just make map01 a teleporter that instantly teleports the player to the last map which would be Hyrule. Or some other way--- I've never made a doom mod, so I don't know.

Anyway, awesome mod!
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

States can be saved on the Hub map, aka the Overworld in this case. Zelda 1 can functionally work just like Hexen, so the answers would lie there for having the Overworld remember specific states on maps, and I know I saw the option on ZDoom Wiki as well and it has to do with MapInfo file.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”