Blasphemer 0.1.7 Release

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Catoptromancy

Blasphemer 0.1.7 Release

Post by Catoptromancy »

Blasphemer 0.1.7 is finally here.

Blasphemer aims to create a free content package for the Heretic engine, with a theme of metal-inspired dark fantasy.
Any limit-removing Doom source port that is compatible with Heretic can be used to play Blasphemer.

As of this release we have almost 3 episodes worth of content to play. Almost all empty or blank placeholders have been filled with relevant graphics and sounds. E6M3 is a test map so all the new graphical resources can be easily looked over. There are over 2 episodes of deathmatch maps as well.

Check out the release page for the long list of new resources and download link.
https://github.com/Blasphemer/blaspheme ... tag/v0.1.7

As always, Blasphemer is a community project and anyone is free to help create resources. For more information on contributing: https://github.com/Blasphemer/blaspheme ... IBUTING.md

Lagi

Re: Blasphemer 0.1.7 Release

Post by Lagi »

torch artifact has bugged background.

looks like its sprites replecement with new levels. For exemple this flying monster is Heretic Disciple he phase to semi-invisible ghost state and have simmilar attack pattern.

the plague crossbow with 3x bolts on body is great. I also like the ice wand weapon on slot 4.

I was looking at this green flying flame. but i still have no clue what it is. a stone face?
golem replacement is nice. i like the antlers
black demon is a little to big. He is easy to kill, but have size comarable to Maultaur.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Sweet! I find Heretic to be nowhere near as good as Doom, but as a big fan of Freedoom, I welcome this project regardless. :thumb:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Awesome! Happy to see this free-Heretic project finally see a release after such a long time in the works. :)
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Blasphemer project make me realise something.
there are lots of people who create awesome stuff, weapons, monsters, levels, weapons, maps, weapons and weapons. [me included]

But all that is just modification of existing games - Doom, Hexen or Heretic. Because of that, modders are forced to follow the old schemes. Like they need to use blue and green mana for Hexen-projects, and classes (weapon sets). Doom mods are using the doom monsters and weapons templates. Moreover Heretic was just a reskin of doom in the first place (a big, ambitious mod you can say), that rather screw up the doom balance.

There would never be a brand new experience with that. You will always know what to expect from another shotgun skin, or pinky demon recolour.
"WTF you wanna say? doom is masterpiece. None other fps have so greatly design weapons and monsters"
right.
My points is... this community is more than capable of creating brand new games. Whether open source or commercial, a new quality. New set of weapons, with drawn from scratch sprites. New set of monsters, with new behaviours, new animations, new attack patters. Even new player class, that can have new abilities (climbing, parkour, destroying walls, driving vehicles...).

problem I see is everyone is starting again with the base games. Instead taking existing pieces to create something new. And that all is interlocked: maps have placed vanilla monster and weapons, so weapon mods need to follow them.
“Why do you write this generalized ramble in Blasphemer topic again?”
I don’t like that monster and weapons are not behave in new way in Blasphemer.
“but this is open source to be compatible with other mods, that use Heretic weapons and monster templates. Otherwise, this would break already made maps”
I would sacrifice this back compatibility for a new experience.
“and what are your ground breaking ideas for new heretic monster and weapons, that would open us so many new gameplay horizons?”
I need to think about it.
Spoiler:
P.S.
the dagger weapons have not enought sprite frames. Stab animation is very "stuttering". Is increasing sprite frames and adding decoration file out of discussion ?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I'm pretty sure the whole point of Blasphemer was that it could be the FreeDoom-equivalent of Heretic. I dunno, seems pointless to rag that a mod doesn't give you the experience you wanted, like someone going to a tennis tournament and whining about how they should be doing soccer instead.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Lagi.

Blasphemer is Free-Heretic. Your Bitter Heretic Mod works on it and the maps are really freaking good.

Good Job Blasphemer team!
axredneck
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

Lagi wrote:
“but this is open source to be compatible with other mods, that use Heretic weapons and monster templates. Otherwise, this would break already made maps”
I would sacrifice this back compatibility for a new experience.
Then make your own mod based on Blasphemer. Things like FreeDoom are made to be fully compatible with mods and maps.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

kalensar wrote:Lagi.

Blasphemer is Free-Heretic. Your Bitter Heretic Mod works on it and the maps are really freaking good.

Good Job Blasphemer team!
nah... its not really compatible. sprites frame switch between same monster (or weapon). I would need to upload all missing frames from Heretic wad to bitter ("thats illegal ! im calling cyber police" :) ).

its not pointless, because I utter my opinion.

and yes, im gonna write down all my excellent and flawless mod ideas in some other thread here, were i can find some more progressive people who will ignore me instead :D
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

I'm happy to report that Heretic Heroes: NES Heroes and Hexes works perfectly with Blasphemer.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It's really nice to see this project finally getting some love.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Has anyone been able to beat E3M1 yet? It is really difficult, even more so than its Heretic counterpart. :?
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Has anyone been able to beat E3M1 yet? It is really difficult, even more so than its Heretic counterpart. :?
The Free-Doom's were also more difficult than Dooms were. I managed to beat E3m1 on Blasphemer difficulty so don't get too excited. The opening is rough but basically just run for the Crossbow and burn everything down with the Wand instead. Running for the Crossbow allows you to get more maneuvering room. The Ophidian hallway is basically just spam the Claw . No lie, the beginning and 1st room after the opening are really tough. I barely squeezed out a victory on that beginning. After that it gets considerably easier because you get the Claw styled weapon and there's just ammo everywhere.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Okay, I have tried once more and I got it this time. I have not spammed potions like since Diablo II!

I am not sure why, but I find the font to be incredibly hard to read in this one. Maybe it is the colour (red) and the automap background (dark pink). I hope subsequent versions address that. Also, compatibility with NightFright's excellent widescreen HUD would be much appreciated! I was expecting to be at least able to mask the status bar on the automap, but not even that seems to work.
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Okay, I have tried once more and I got it this time. I have not spammed potions like since Diablo II!

I am not sure why, but I find the font to be incredibly hard to read in this one. Maybe it is the colour (red) and the automap background (dark pink). I hope subsequent versions address that. Also, compatibility with NightFright's excellent widescreen HUD would be much appreciated! I was expecting to be at least able to mask the status bar on the automap, but not even that seems to work.
If You are in GZdoom or Lzdoom just press the = button to switch it the hud bar to the minimal version of the gzd alt-hud. if you Press the - button it will move it the other way. No need to even use a hud mod honestly.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”