Questions about using sprite and sound resources in mods

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
DivineHero

Questions about using sprite and sound resources in mods

Post by DivineHero »

I'm relatively new to the latest forum structure, so I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this.

I have been making ZDoom mods for a while, but have been reluctant to share them because I've been using sprites, sounds, and music from other games or resource packs. What are the rules for using those in mods that I distribute online? I assume that for resources made by others in the ZDoom community that have given permission to use their resources, I would just need to mention them in the credits, right? As for other games, I'm not sure, although I have downloaded other people's mods that use resources from other games. Would I just mention those in the credits as well?
Ashat Maself

Re: Questions about using sprite and sound resources in mods

Post by Ashat Maself »

For commercial games normally credit isnt needed however for recourses made by the doom community make sure to give the appropriate credits
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Personally, I tend to credit the commercial sources too just so that people know where the resources came from.

As far as whether they should be used or not, the answer is probably no. However, in the Doom community there are literally thousands of mods out there that do this.

Wherever possible, it is best to create your own resources (or use resources created by the community that you have permission to use).

If you can't do that, then some form of editing/tweaking of commercial resources at least means that you did *something* to personalise the resource.

If you can't even do that well, like I said, there are already thousands of WADs, mods, resource files etc etc out there that use resources sourced from commercial games. I guess it's not a perfect situation, but it is one that has been almost thirty years in the making.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's something of an unspoken grey area around our community. People rip stuff from commercial games and reuse it in their mods all the time. I make sure all of my sources are fully credited down to the individual file, but even then I acknowledge that I'm technically committing a copyright violation in doing so.

There are a lot more sources that are much more permissive these days than there ever used to be. I would advise looking through Creative Commons searches, or seeing if you can find archives of the Sonniss GDC audio libraries, or looking through sites like Freesound.org or OpenGameArt. Though these may take some editing to be useful directly in a game.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Here's the question i always had: I'm using commercial resources, okay. But the mods are FREE. Totally free to grab and play, there is no monetization at all. It begs me to question: if there is no money involved, what kind of "illegal benefit" we are having that should be taken down?

Sometimes artists even improve these resources, restore beta arts and incorporate them, make new resources using the older as basis... it really doesn't answer me these questions.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Here's the question i always had: I'm using commercial resources, okay. But the mods are FREE. Totally free to grab and play, there is no monetization at all. It begs me to question: if there is no money involved, what kind of "illegal benefit" we are having that should be taken down?

Sometimes artists even improve these resources, restore beta arts and incorporate them, make new resources using the older as basis... it really doesn't answer me these questions.
Under copyright law, this constitutes "derivative work" and may be just as illegal depending on whether the rights holder wishes to pursue charges.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Damn, that's harsh (the law, i mean). Well, that explains it.

Return to “Resources”