GZDoom Freezes (NOT INTEL)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
CandiceJoy
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Win11, MacOS Ventura
Graphics Processor: Apple M1

GZDoom Freezes (NOT INTEL)

Post by CandiceJoy »

GZDoom freezes my computer randomly as described in some of the intel posts…except I’m not using Intel anything. I’m running a ryzen 5900x (on x570) with an rtx 3080. When it happens, I have to hold the power button to turn it off because the entire computer goes non responsive. I’m a developer and system builder so you can assume most super common things aren’t the problem :P

GZDoom 4.6.1
Latest Nvidia Drivers as of 8-10
Vulkan and OpenGL both do it
_mental_

Re: GZDoom Freezes (NOT INTEL)

Post by _mental_ »

If vsync is off and FPS cap is disabled then it's either overheat or insufficient power.
CandiceJoy wrote:I’m a developer and system builder
CandiceJoy wrote:Latest Nvidia Drivers as of 8-10
To be honest, these two sentences sound like a contradiction to me. Personally, I have no idea what were the latest drivers to that date.
How about looking for an exact version in NVIDIA Control Panel?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Looks like a hardware problem. Does it happen in other games?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Even if it does not, GZDoom at high uncapped frame rates can burn a lot more GPU power than any modern games, because the GPU will be constantly under load due to having no delays.
One easy way to check if it is hardware would be to enable vid_vsync in the console and see if that reduces the crashes.
CandiceJoy
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Win11, MacOS Ventura
Graphics Processor: Apple M1

Post by CandiceJoy »

Vsync is on and framerate is capped. Nvida driver 471.68. This is the only program or game in which this happens.

Return to “Technical Issues”