Unnamed Techbase Episode for Doom II

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Drake Raider

Unnamed Techbase Episode for Doom II

Post by Drake Raider »

I've been working on a side project, putting everything I learned from reTNT back into something original. I'm only four maps in yet, and I'm hoping to experiment with a variety of different themes, but these will all be techbase for this release. No promises on progress speed, reTNT is still my main until it's done, as well as real life commitments, but I figured I'd get feedback since I haven't uploaded anything original in awhile.

Note added due to question, but this is for Doom II, with no custom textures as of yet.

My goals were according to my taste, but so you know what I was going for:
- Heavy atmosphere
- Distinct landmarks and setpieces
- A feeling of "scrappy" combat, where you're often fighting off threats from several sides at once, and constantly navigating somewhat cramped, nonlinear environments at high speed

That said, open to name suggestions. I have no idea what I'm going to call this yet!

Here's an update, with two more (much bigger) levels. This should close out the first episode. I haven't quite settled on a title yet, though I have a couple ideas. These maps should be much faster paced than the first four, though I tried not to compromise atmosphere. As always, all maps are pistol start and multiplayer ready, and I'm excited for your feedback!

Maplist (so far):

Code: Select all

MAP01: Courtyard Access
MAP02: Delivery Storage
MAP03: Server Core
MAP04: Coolant Tunnels
MAP05: Cyborg Vangard
MAP06: Teleporter Experiment
Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vya21eouyony ... o.wad?dl=0

I also started a thread on Doomworld for it, because it's not strictly a ZDoom based mapset, though I'm more familiar with this community by far, so replies are welcome on either.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... e-episode/

Screenshots:

More:
Spoiler:
Original Post:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Drake Raider on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: New Mapset, Unnamed as of yet

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Really diggin the detail of this mapset. But it could use a little tweaks. Like for example, the "DOORTRAK" texture moves along with the door, as in it's not pegged.

But overall, impressive start.

4.5/5
Drake Raider

Re: Unnamed Techbase Episode

Post by Drake Raider »

Here's an update, with two more (much bigger) levels. This should close out the first episode. I haven't quite settled on a title yet, though I have a couple ideas. These maps should be much faster paced than the first four, though I tried not to compromise atmosphere. As always, all maps are pistol start and multiplayer ready, and I'm excited for your feedback!

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vya21eouyony ... o.wad?dl=0

I also started a thread on Doomworld for it, because it's not strictly a ZDoom based mapset, though I'm more familiar with this community by far, so replies are welcome on either.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... e-episode/

Screenshots:

More:
Spoiler:
I will, of course, update the original post with this information as well!
ritaremton
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by ritaremton »

hi! may i know the required iwad for this mapset (doom2, tnt, etc)? from the screenshots, the mapset looks fantastic :) many thanks in advance.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Absolutely, its' Doom II based with no custom textures so far.

Return to “Levels”