True color skins?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Azagthoth

True color skins?

Post by Azagthoth »

Hi. Is it possible to make skins true color? I understand that translatable colors would be hard to make work in true color but what if you don't need that? I just want my skins to look right in-game. Seems like it should be doable somehow since literally everything else in the game can use true color. Maybe there's some workaround that I'm missing?

What I want it to look like:
SkinTrueColor.png
What it does look like:
SkinDoomGraphic.png
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: True color skins?

Post by ramon.dexter »

Quite easily. In SLADE select any graphic lump (let's say, a sprite), right button >> Graphic >> Convert to ..
In the newly selected dialog change conversion type from "Doom fgx(paletted)" to "PNG (truecolor)" and you're done.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't think that's what OP is asking for. By default, the game forces player skins into the Doom palette because player skins may need to be translated. So, even when the player sprites are in true colour (as I think these ones already are) the game reduces them to the Doom palette.

From memory, I think that the +DONTTRANSLATE flag might be able to do it.
Azagthoth

Post by Azagthoth »

Enjay wrote:From memory, I think that the +DONTTRANSLATE flag might be able to do it.
So +DONTTRANSLATE goes in the S_SKIN lump or where would I put that?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Azagthoth wrote:
Enjay wrote:From memory, I think that the +DONTTRANSLATE flag might be able to do it.
So +DONTTRANSLATE goes in the S_SKIN lump or where would I put that?
You'll have to use it on the player class (in DECORATE or ZScript). Which is a bit cumbersome if your skin is for the normal player class, because then you have to do a pointless redefinition of it.

It doesn't seem to be supported in S_SKIN, unfortunately, but that may be worth a suggestion.
Azagthoth

Post by Azagthoth »

Gez wrote:You'll have to use it on the player class
By player class do you mean "ACTOR DoomPlayer : PlayerPawn"? That does seem cumbersome but I might be able to work with it for now.
Guess I could make a request on the matter. Don't see why it would be hard to implement, but what do I know.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Azagthoth wrote:By player class do you mean "ACTOR DoomPlayer : PlayerPawn"?
Yes, and no. You should inherit from that class and define your own which only needs to have the +DONTTRANSLATE flag in it

Code: Select all

ACTOR AzagthothsPlayer : DoomPlayer
{
    +DONTTRANSLATE
}
(then obviously add the character class to the game using the GameInfo section of MAPINFO [wiki]Creating_new_player_classes[/wiki]).

It is indeed cumbersome versus what you wanted to do, but fingers crossed it will work.
Azagthoth

Post by Azagthoth »

Enjay wrote:fingers crossed it will work.
It did work! Only problem is if you're playing a wad with a different PlayerPawn it no longer works. Think I will make a request to add it to S_Skin. That way it could be applied automatically to any PlayerPawn being used. If it allows skins to begin with of course.
Hunterj1234

Post by Hunterj1234 »

Azagthoth wrote:
Enjay wrote:fingers crossed it will work.
It did work! Only problem is if you're playing a wad with a different PlayerPawn it no longer works. Think I will make a request to add it to S_Skin. That way it could be applied automatically to any PlayerPawn being used. If it allows skins to begin with of course.
than just use zscript it can do edits without redefining thee class

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”