[SPRITES] Civilian Sprites in Doom Style

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Re: [SPRITES] Civilian Sprites in Doom Style

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

I just did a very quick mock up of how a more Doom-sized female sprite might look. This frame is 21x55 pixels, has proportionally slimmer limbs (while still trying to keep the Doom squat-ness) and I also made her top more conservative to counter the "I'm a female sprite and you can tell because I have a lot of skin on show" look of the particular one that I was editing.

I'm unlikely to do a full set though (because, apart from anything else, my sprite simply isn't that good).

ImageImage

It would be nice if the civilian resource was expanded slightly to include gib frames too. I mean, not nice for the civilians, of course.
:railgun:
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

I'm working on Male/female base sprite sheets at moment which should give me faster result soon.

Sample of female using good old Illia (i always get that name wrong) as a base, full sheet has proper swinging arms not zombieman hands.
WorkinProg
WorkinProg
girl base.PNG (1.24 KiB) Viewed 12412 times
EDIT*
WorkinProg2
WorkinProg2
girlTest.PNG (7.51 KiB) Viewed 12398 times
spare time fast attempt. (not sure about front arms) rotations are better.

EDIT2*
CIvUpdatedWIP
CIvUpdatedWIP
CivRedux2.PNG (18.21 KiB) Viewed 12351 times
*feeling okay with these. got couple fully done on sprite sheets now, rest still WIP

Will have clean legs, plus bare legs. shoes not boots etc, when finished.
Male sheet finished, female will be done soon. then I,ll try to crank these out.

Will throw together some Gibbing frames to. Updated file with Gibbing deaths, now the poor bastards are even more terrified!

Might be slow going at moment as Homeschooling/working
goldsteed

Post by goldsteed »

hey man these are some really cool sprites, I've been looking/trying to make civilian sprites for years now, I started working on my own edited version of your citizen sprites (changed their cloth colors so it would be easier to use color transitions on, giving them sounds ect. here's a video of me playing around with them , and let me know what you think :)
here's the video btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgzL6rjL0bs
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

:) Poor bastards!

I like the color translation thing, I suck at sticking to doom2 palette so glad someone tweaked it that way. Have 4 more done I need to upload as well 8 variants now up on front page. Glad people are getting some use out of them.

EDIT*
will also probably upload all my sprite sheets for these in a file at some point.
goldsteed

Post by goldsteed »

oh sweet can't wait to see them, i'm also thinking about making zombie variants for a halloween monster mod i've had for about 2 years now
Spoiler:
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

goldsteedreturns wrote:i'm also thinking about making zombie variants for a halloween monster mod
So unsurprisingly this idea may be on my secret agenda as well, (like civilians unarmed regular zombies still pretty lacking in sprites) was going to spring a whole bunch of stuff after finishing more of my civilians, But hey I like to be helpful! :D
itgetsbackup
itgetsbackup
zombify.PNG (11.85 KiB) Viewed 12042 times
Figure this might be useful, simple zombiefication sprites for male base, still needs blood, etc on wake up frames, but should help to build on
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

These new ones look great, could you make a version where the upper clothes of the citizens are green for color translation?
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Craneo wrote:These new ones look great, could you make a version where the upper clothes of the citizens are green for color translation?
Thanks, I'm actually having really good time doing them which is awesome in itself :D

I'm going to attempt the color translation thing after I finish off the last couple of civilian ideas i want to do (doctor man/doctor girl/vest man/crop top girl, also new open jacket man and jogger shorts girl) 2 of these are completely done just need to put them to sprites and chuck them in file.

I'm really crap at sticking to doom2 palette so will have to see how they go, if they turn out crap I'm also going to upload all the sprite sheets I made with these so people with more skills then me can work there magic.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:I'm also going to upload all the sprite sheets I made with these
Please do! it'll be super useful to have em all in sheet form and I imagine it'll be easier to sort that palette issue out that way :D
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Have slapped a Zip file on main post, containing all sprite sheets done so far, both Mars3d and Doom style, also has old guy scientist not uploaded to new pack yet. will update this when finished with the rest, but for now anyone can feel free to use whats there if they want.

EDIT* Updated main post with 3 extra guys, still got 3 more working on. also new sheets are in file
goldsteed

Post by goldsteed »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:
goldsteedreturns wrote:i'm also thinking about making zombie variants for a halloween monster mod
So unsurprisingly this idea may be on my secret agenda as well, (like civilians unarmed regular zombies still pretty lacking in sprites) was going to spring a whole bunch of stuff after finishing more of my civilians, But hey I like to be helpful! :D
zombify.PNG
Figure this might be useful, simple zombiefication sprites for male base, still needs blood, etc on wake up frames, but should help to build on
oh cool these can help, thank you friend :)
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

Excellent spriting! I welcome the new addition of civilian sprites for the modding community.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Updated main post with latest version of civilians take 2. In a attempt to balance the amount of flesh on show with female sprites now have open shirt macho guy!
Updated main post with full version of Version 2. 15 civilians in Doom style. Also added all sprite sheets to sheet file and included additional sheets with green parts for color translation (these haven't been turned into sprites but should be useful for people). I'm probably going to do a few more of these (possibly as new pack) but with a more workplace theme (more suits,scientists,some boiler-suit workmen,security guards)

EDIT*
Also added little extra Test file that replaces zombie/shotgun/chaingun and imps with modern goons, with some generic sounds and have hitscan attacks because they will be appearing in a project of mine and do not wont to spoil the surprise. Your Fist is also non lethal if you want to be kind!

Would appreciate some feedback on them.
These will probably function slightly differently when I use them but wanted to give people the general idea.
Feel free to try them out, can take and use them if you want but I wont be releasing the sprite sheets till later.
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

Well, this is real treasure for me! Will there be more of "baddies"?) With a lot of "styles" like russian bandits, columbian cartel members, stereotypical mafia members?
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Nomakh wrote:Well, this is real treasure for me! Will there be more of "baddies"?) With a lot of "styles" like russian bandits, columbian cartel members, stereotypical mafia members?
There will be. Whole bunch! Got some already finished but not uploaded yet, most of the higher tier enemies will be pretty specific but aim for lots of variants for lower level guys. Also atempting to work more with color translation stuff so guys can be changed with little effort.

Return to “Resources”