Re-PowerSlave v1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyann3

Re: Re-PowerSlave v1

Post by Cyann3 »

Really cool mod! There's a lot of effort put into remaking this game! I dont really understand why you had to change the default centered revolver sprite, the new one feels kinda weird, but it's well drawn.
furyweb

Post by furyweb »

how does the whole turning into a mummy work. I mean it seems random to me when it happens.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

I'm quite a few levels in and wow this is really excellent. Powerslave is one of the few build engine games I never played back in the day and when I picked it up recently I could see that while it was close to being a good game, it wasn't quite there and I ended up bouncing of it after a while. Your rework of it really improves the core gameplay while keeping it feeling like the original should have been had it been given a little more care and time. I am really enjoying myself! The combat feels so much better and the shotgun is a great addition. Thank you!
furyweb

Post by furyweb »

Is there anyway to get the movement more like the original, similar to quake movement?
SAmik37
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SAmik37 »

furyweb wrote:how does the whole turning into a mummy work. I mean it seems random to me when it happens.
There is chance that mummy cast a red skull instead of regular white \ gray skull, if you get hit by this red skull, you turn into a mummy
furyweb wrote:Is there anyway to get the movement more like the original, similar to quake movement?
Nope, I do believe player movement are completely done. So don't expect any changes
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I loved it. So faithful to the original, yet with its own quirks. I just wanted to point something out, dunno if anybody else did: Since you're aiming for angled weapon consistency, the Cobra Staff has one angled fram that might serve as a good basis (SNAKE6). It kinda makes the difference even more obvious. =p

Other than that, great job!!!
Cyann3

Post by Cyann3 »

oh yeah, just wanted to ask, where is the music from? is it from the original game? cuz it fucking rocks
SAmik37

Post by SAmik37 »

Cyann3 wrote:oh yeah, just wanted to ask, where is the music from? is it from the original game? cuz it fucking rocks
Some of the music are remixes from Luke Jansen. You can find it there: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNAP ... JwCW2DtAhG
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

Amazing remake, just like Re-Blood. I really wish to see this completed. Good job!
SAmik37

Post by SAmik37 »

If somebody is interested, there is few screenshots from recent Co-op / Deathmatch tests.. :)

YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Played the mod, it was awesome. loved powerslave so goddamn much.
there's one gripe: The flamethrower doesn't damage enemies.
SAmik37

Post by SAmik37 »

YukesVonFaust wrote:Played the mod, it was awesome. loved powerslave so goddamn much.
there's one gripe: The flamethrower doesn't damage enemies.
You sure about this? Should work just fine
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This is some largest, juiciest and meanest TC i have ever played. There are some improvements that made Powerslave/Exhumed mechanic a lot better, mostly with the weapons and headshot damage! The new soundtrack is absolutely kick ass and i could hear all day.

So i have beat the whole level and was great, but got some feedback to share if that's okay.
Spoiler: IDMYPOS is on so you can find the dedicated problemos
So yeah. Really good and promising stuff! I absolutely will look forward to it.

EDIT: Additional feedback added to the spoiler. Check it out!
Awesreek

Post by Awesreek »

So for starters, I wanted to say on the whole fantastic work so far. Whilst I do enjoy the original Powerslave the changes and additions made here for the most part IMO greatly enhance the experience as a whole and I am incredibly excited to see this mod finished. With that said, there are a few things I do think could use some work.

For starters, whilst the act of throwing grenades has been improved the grenades actually feel like a bit of a downgrade on the whole due to their massively downgraded blast radius. They're incredibly inconvenient to use and there is almost no reason to unless you're dry on ammo. I would recommend at least doubling the blast radius, and maybe even having them detonate on impact with an enemy.

The piranhas are kind of unreasonably fast. I appreciate wanting to make them more of a threat but there were several times in the first level where I got cornered by them because they were relatively easily able to outmaneuver me. If this aspect of them isn't going to be tweaked then I'd say an easy remedy would be just to let the players use their guns underwater. I understand OG Powerslave didn't let you, but the piranhas there also weren't much of a threat.

There are a few sounds that feel *REALLY* off, notably the sound of the revolver and explosions. I'd say most of the other sounds work but the explosions and the revolver don't really feel like they fit into the auditory fabric of Powerslave if that makes any sense, I suppose the gore sounds a tad as well but not to the same extent. With the revolver in particular it sounds way more powerful than it actually is leading to this awkward dissonance where it feels like the gun is trying to obnoxiously compensate for its damage output. The other weapon sounds feel pretty appropriate though, with the *TUNK* sound of the shotgun being a favorite of mine.

And finally, really really minor thing, I find the decision to have the cobra staff be centered an... odd decision? It wasn't on the original game and this mod goes out of its way to resprite the weapons to fit a more modern style of placement so the cobra staff always being centered is a tad strange.

But on the whole, fantastic work so far, over the course of 2 days I've enjoyed it so much I've played through it twice and tbh I'll probably play through it again relatively soon, keep up the good work.
jatiwi7211

Post by jatiwi7211 »

The text size in the game should be larger. The chain icon from Duke Nukem looks out of place. The cobra staff shouldnt be centered when not shooting. The revolver sound is weird and shoots too fast. Why is it always a double barrel shotgun in most games? A slow shooting trenchgun would fit far better and finally make a change.
Most importantly, more customization would be great like switching between old and new weapon sprites, music etc.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”